Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 9th September 2015

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts
Re: Windows Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Why would I want to, Jim?
My partner's daughter brought over an external HD for me to transfer some files to from my machine. It turned out the HD was formatted for a Mac. It was a faf to write to from my machine, and I never got around to it before she went home. She had to go without because she uses a Mac!

You've painted yourself into a corner with a Mac!

;^)

Jim
Old 9th September 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
My partner's daughter brought over an external HD for me to transfer some files to from my machine. It turned out the HD was formatted for a Mac. It was a faf to write to from my machine, and I never got around to it before she went home. She had to go without because she uses a Mac!

You've painted yourself into a corner with a Mac!

;^)

Jim
I only use the external drive for archiving and back-up. The Mac will read JPGs etc brought on a memory stick, and that is fine for what I do. I shan't get rid of the PC for some time because it has too many things on it that I still need - but don't need to transfer to the Mac.

Incidentally, as I understand it, MAcs will read files on a FAT32 formatted HDD; and my 1TB HDD in the PC, IIRC, is a FAT32 formatted one.
Old 9th September 2015

Liked 861 Times in 550 Posts

It seems to me the easiest way to transfer image files between the two systems is probably by e-mail!
Old 9th September 2015

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

not email but by ftp or by looking directly at the donating machine over the net.
Old 9th September 2015

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Blimey, Wally, someone who actually understands Windows 8 ?? .
Hardly. I started off using a tablet... a stone tile + a hammer and chisel. Then I decided to go into programming. The last computing course I attended I had to put up with some real geeks...

In the beginning, it came to pass that in ancient Israel, a trader by the name of Abraham Com did take unto himself a young wife by the name of Dot. And Dot Com was a comely woman, broad of shoulder and long of leg. Indeed, she was often called
Amazon Dot Com.

And she said unto Abraham, her husband, “Why dost thou travel so far from town to town with thy goods when thou canst trade without ever leaving thy tent?” And Abraham did look at her as though she were several saddle bags short of a camel load, but simply said, “How, dear?”

And Dot replied, “I will place drums in all the towns and drums in between to send messages saying what you have for sale, and they will reply telling you who hath the best price. And the sale can be made on the drums and delivery made by Uriah’s Pony Stable (UPS).” Abraham thought long and decided he would let Dot have her way with the drums. The drums rang out and were an immediate success. Abraham sold all the goods he had at the top price, without ever having to move from his tent.

To prevent neighbouring countries from overhearing what the drums were saying, Dot devised a system that only she and the drummers knew. It was known as Must Send Drum Over Sound (MSDOS), and she also developed a language to
transmit ideas and pictures – Hebrew To The People (HTTP). And the young men did take to Dot Com’s trading as doth the greedy horsefly take to camel dung. They were called Nomadic Ecclesiastical Rich Dominican Sybarites, or NERDS.

And lo, the land was so feverish with joy at the new riches and the deafening sound of drums that no one noticed that the real riches were going to that enterprising drum dealer, Brother William of Gates, who bought off every drum maker in the land. And indeed did insist on drums to be made that would work only with Brother Gates’ drumheads and drumsticks.

And Dot did say, “Oh, Abraham, what we have started is being taken over by others.” And Abraham looked out over the Bay of Ezekiel , or eBay as it came to be known. He said, “We need a name that reflects what we are.”
And Dot replied, “Young Ambitious Hebrew Owner Operators.” “YAHOO,” said Abraham. And because it was Dot’s idea, they named it YAHOO Dot Com.

Abraham’s cousin, Joshua, being the young Gregarious Energetic Educated Kid (GEEK) that he was, soon started using Dot’s drums to locate things around the countryside. It soon became known as God’s Own Official Guide to Locating
Everything (GOOGLE).

And that’s how all this IT malarkey began.

I couldn't keep up and went into carpentry...

Honest Injun.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following Users Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (10th September 2015), Grumpy Hec (10th September 2015), Johnheatingman (9th September 2015), KeithL (10th September 2015), Naughty Nigel (9th September 2015), OM USer (10th September 2015), Otto (10th September 2015), Ross the fiddler (9th September 2015)
Old 9th September 2015

Thanked 1,315 Times in 1,028 Posts
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,126 Posts

That is beautiful Wally. It is so good I could almost believe it.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 10th September 2015

Thanked 1,493 Times in 1,421 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

That post deserves a thread all on its own Wally.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (10th September 2015)
Old 10th September 2015

Love it, Wally!

You missed a bit out, though. Brother William's drum sticks never worked properly, so users had to attack them with all sorts of tools to try to get them to transmit the messages at all - and even then, the next drummer along the way didn't always get the correct message. Called Got Lots of Interesting Code Hassles Ensuring Screams...GLITCHES, for short.

Windows is equivalent to buying a hammer, and requiring a lathe and a workshop full of tools to get it to knock nails in.
Old 10th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
It seems to me the easiest way to transfer image files between the two systems is probably by e-mail!
But I'm not bothered about doing that, once the Mac is doing what I want! At the moment, I download to both machines straight off the memory card, if I feel a need to.
Old 10th September 2015

Liked 2,278 Times in 1,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
That post deserves a thread all on its own Wally.
Why do I think Wally missed his true vocation - or perhaps he didn't?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 14th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
I tried my external HDD for the PC with my Mac, and found that it will happily read and copy the files, but won't write to it. Which is fine: I can copy off my photo files and then save them to the external HDD for the Mac. So I will be very happy with that!

I'm saving all new files to the Mac anyway. And the more I use it, the happier I am with it. When I bought it, I went for a refurb Macbook; but now I'm thinking that it may be worth spending the money for a new Mac Book Pro.

Just one example of the faffing about with my PC: I have to use a stylus tablet, a Wacom Intuos CTL-480. It was fine for a time on Win 7, then started refusing to start. I talked to Wacom, and their solution? Start it manually. I'm typing this on the PC. It took 6 times - I'll say that again: 6 TIMES - to get it to start up. If I use it with the Mac, it starts instantly. Windows shouldn't be like this; if it can recognise that the damned thing isn't running, why can't it just restart it? No - that would be too helpful to the user.
Old 18th September 2015

Liked 2,278 Times in 1,505 Posts

Quote:
I tried my external HDD for the PC with my Mac, and found that it will happily read and copy the files, but won't write to it. Which is fine: I can copy off my photo files and then save them to the external HDD for the Mac. So I will be very happy with that!

I'm saving all new files to the Mac anyway. And the more I use it, the happier I am with it. When I bought it, I went for a refurb Macbook; but now I'm thinking that it may be worth spending the money for a new Mac Book Pro.
The quickest, easiest and safest way of moving files between platforms is by Ethernet and/or WiFi.

The TCP/IP protocol is OS independent, and uniquely is fully supported by both Windows and Apple OS's.

By choice I would probably set the Windows machine up as a server, so that all of its logical drives, including external drives can be seen on your Mac.

The PC would also be a good and reliable way of backing up or archiving files from your Mac, especially if space on the Mac is limited.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 18th September 2015

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Filezilla is quite a handy GUI tool for FTPing between machines on a network, if you don't like using a command line:

https://filezilla-project.org/

Jim
Old 9th November 2015
Kiwi Paul

Playing the devils advocate here but I've not really had to many issues with any version of Windows and I've used them all, upgrading from one version to the other many many times.
I'm fairly tech savvy so maybe I have been able to resolve any issues I've had without too many dramas.
I have a program called Acronis Imaging software, I make an image of my operating system drive periodically and if after any major system changes I decide somethings not right (and to be honest that doesn't happen much for me) it easy and quick (10 -15 mins) to restore the PC back to how it was just prior to the changes that caused any issues. The Acronis is also ideal for upgrading the C drive, make an image of the existing C drive, copy that image to the new disk and that's it, instantly ready to use.

Windows isn't perfect and each new iteration can bring change which can take some getting use to and a bit of relearning and on the way there will inevitably be some processes and applications that may have issues that only come to light when the new version is released to the masses but that's just the price of progress. It seems operating systems are in a catch 22 situation, they bring out a new system and folk moan because of the changes, if they kept it as is then folk would moan because they want an update.

Paul
Old 9th November 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
Playing the devils advocate here but I've not really had to many issues with any version of Windows and I've used them all, upgrading from one version to the other many many times.
I'm fairly tech savvy so maybe I have been able to resolve any issues I've had without too many dramas.
I have a program called Acronis Imaging software, I make an image of my operating system drive periodically and if after any major system changes I decide somethings not right (and to be honest that doesn't happen much for me) it easy and quick (10 -15 mins) to restore the PC back to how it was just prior to the changes that caused any issues. The Acronis is also ideal for upgrading the C drive, make an image of the existing C drive, copy that image to the new disk and that's it, instantly ready to use.

Windows isn't perfect and each new iteration can bring change which can take some getting use to and a bit of relearning and on the way there will inevitably be some processes and applications that may have issues that only come to light when the new version is released to the masses but that's just the price of progress. It seems operating systems are in a catch 22 situation, they bring out a new system and folk moan because of the changes, if they kept it as is then folk would moan because they want an update.

Paul
I've been a Windows user since 1988, when it was adopted at work. Out of all that time, I reckon it has been relatively problem-free for no more than 2 or 3 years, principally during the later XP and early 7 period.

The problem with it is that it is too much of an open system, IMV. It's expected to cope with whatever mix of hardware the user wants to use, and not throw up any issues. I use a Wacom stylus tablet, which I first used with XP. No problems with XP. When 7 first came along, it was fine; then after several 7 updates, the problems started - and never stopped, until recently, when I took my old PC off line for good.

I've now had my MacBook for about two months, during which time I have installed all sorts of programs. I had a hiccup with one (ironically the most expensive, Quark!!) but an update a few days after installing it cured the problem. Other than that, it has been incredibly stable - not one issue. My wife says that she hasn't heard me swear at it once! I plug my tablet in, and it works - instantly, unlike Win 7, when I have to try 5 or 6 times on average to get it to start; and if Win 7 goes into sleep mode, after rousing it again, the tablet goes bananas, and has to be re-started yet again. Wacom can't help, and nothing form Microsoft on the issue.

So why is OS X so stable? Apple controls both the hardware and software. You order your Mac with the configuration that you want, and there is little you can do to change it. There are remarkably few OS updates. I think Microsoft needs to take a leaf out of Apple's book.

Recently, Apple offered to update the OS to El Capitan. I read both positive and negative reviews of it, and decided not to. If I say no, Apple doesn't do the Microsoft thing and download it anyway, as the latter is doing with 10. People whom I know have had serious problems due to 10, with their computers barely operational after trying 10. Others are finding that they are paying extra for over use of their broadband due to 10 downloading without their consent or knowledge.

I'm very relieved to have moved away from Windows after nearly 3 decades of fighting it all the way, at work and at home. And the icing on the cake is that there are some cracking photo editing and graphics apps available now for Macs, and at very reasonable prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithL For This Useful Post: