Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 30th August 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Windows Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Good choice.

I like W8/8.1, but W7 is a good solid OS which works well with almost anything that you throw at it; including out of date Adobe programs that simply will not run properly on 8.1 (and I daresay W10).
And as you will see on my PSP X8 thread, the latest Win10 programs running in W7 "compatibility mode".
Old 30th August 2015

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts

Hi I was very synical of win 10 microsoft has done some changes as to what and how it collates data from your computer. It know only collects rellvant microsoft related data, if you switch off sharing, all but 1 to basic, which I was informed is the same level of information as from win 7 and above, the other data if left on refurrs to data selected to share on the cloud, so if you don't put anything on the microsofts cloud storage it can't get used by microsoft or the US Government. I am know using win 10 64bit pro version.

No problems so far I get notified of any updates and have the option to install or not, but get informed that if opt out you will not be given the opertunity to install that "update" later which may effect later updates working properly.

Dave
Old 30th August 2015

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

Be aware, 14 reasons why you shouldn't upgrade to Windows 10...

Windows 10... OOOPS

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
OM USer (1st September 2015), Ross the fiddler (30th August 2015)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (30th August 2015)
Old 30th August 2015

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
I use Norton IS, so Windows firewall is disabled
I would think that the above is a very, very bad move indeed!

My understanding is that the Windows firewall comes up before the network is established. Third party firewalls come up after the network is established - probably long after in computer term. This means that your computer is wide open for attack for a significant time.

Jim
Old 31st August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I would think that the above is a very, very bad move indeed!

My understanding is that the Windows firewall comes up before the network is established. Third party firewalls come up after the network is established - probably long after in computer term. This means that your computer is wide open for attack for a significant time.

Jim
Norton is in the Start menu, so starts at start-up of the machine. Most 3rd party firewalls are more secure than Windows firewall. So far I am aware.
Old 31st August 2015

Quote:
Norton is in the Start menu, so starts at start-up of the machine. Most 3rd party firewalls are more secure than Windows firewall. So far I am aware.
It won't start until after the operating system is up, and therefore long after the network is established.

Received wisdom on the 'net is that all 3rd party firewalls are less secure than the Windows firewall, because of the above!

The Windows firewall is part of the operating system and therefore is established before start menu items are started.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (31st August 2015)
Old 31st August 2015
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

I did a search for "Windows 10" and got 70.7M "hits"

I did a search for "Windows 10 Problems" and got 7.5M "hits"

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Johnheatingman (31st August 2015)
Old 31st August 2015

Quote:
It won't start until after the operating system is up, and therefore long after the network is established.

Received wisdom on the 'net is that all 3rd party firewalls are less secure than the Windows firewall, because of the above!

The Windows firewall is part of the operating system and therefore is established before start menu items are started.

Jim
That doesn't make sense, Jim, because to establish communication with the Internet, the computer has to send coherent packets, and, normally, a password; it isn't a random connection made by hardware alone. There is also a firewall in the router, which requires a public encryption key to be sent by the computer before it will allow the computer to 'talk' to the net. For the encryption key to be sent, the operating system has to be operating. A virus is a small executable which has to be sent on demand, and then delivered by a computer to computer unique communication. For that to happen, you need an ISP to recognise your computer and establish communication with it first.

A firewall that is part of the operating system means that a virus or other 'nasty' must enter the operating system before it can be assessed and hopefully blocked; and that is the inherent weakness in such firewalls.

High-security systems always employ a firewall that is remote from the protected operating system; the more 'layers' between the operating system and the firewall, the better, since each 'layer' affords an opportunity for detecting and blocking unwanted code. My employer for the last 25 years of my working life was in a high security business, and I can assure you that we would in no way rely on Windows firewall! Indeed, we had more than one level of firewall; one at the "boundary" of the company intranet to the internet, and an off-site firewall with a high-security link to it.
Ulfric M Douglas (31st August 2015)
Old 9th September 2015

Liked 686 Times in 361 Posts

WINDOWS HELL!!

Bought a brand new ASUS G551. Cost a fortune. I have this 128GB SSD and wanted to migrate the OS over.

Came with Win 8.1. Created a system repair set. and then the puzzle starts.

There seems to be no way to use the backset up set in transferring/cloneing the whole OS over.

All my garbage so far.
Old 9th September 2015

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

Commencing from Windows 8, a new disk partition set-up called GPT was used in order to allow for extended use by the new OS. As I recently found, It isn't compatible with previous versions up to and including W7, which use an MBR set-up.

I eventually found a work-a-round but, the downside is that it will erase everything on the HD and I do mean everything. Any partitions etc., will be wiped clean.

It also involves using something called the command line = C:/

GPT error when installing Windows 7.

End users trying to install Windows 7 on a system that had shipped from the factory with Microsoft Windows 8 and was receiving a error that Windows 7 could not be installed to a GPT (GUID Partition Table) partition..

The Problem:

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a new style of partitioning which is part of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Specification. This is used for Windows 8 factory installations for greater partition flexibility and more advanced functions of Windows 8. With an Windows 7 installation, the GPT partition has to be removed and UEFI BIOS needs to be configured in a Legacy boot configuration.

Using DISKPART Command to Resolve.

Once the UEFI BIOS has been set to Legacy mode, then boot to the Windows 7 DVD and press SHIFT+F10 at the point to create or delete partitions to exit to a Command Prompt.

Then type the following commands: CAUTION: This process will permanently remove any and all data on the target drive.

Type: DISKPART then press the Enter Key
  1. At the DISKPART prompt, type: LIST DISK then press the Enter Key (If system only has one hard drive, then disk 0 is the drive you are wanting to work on. If there are multiple disks, then determine the number of the drive you are re-partitioning.)
  2. At the DISKPART prompt, type: SELECT DISK (disknumber) then press the Enter Key
  3. At the DISKPART prompt, type: CLEAN then press the Enter Key (This command removes all partitions/volumes on the selected disk)
  4. At the DISKPART prompt, type: CONVERT MBR then press the Enter Key
  5. Type: EXIT then press the Enter Key
Restart the computer using the DVD drive with the Windows disk then access to the HD will be acknowledged.

Hope this is of some help?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wally For This Useful Post:
OM USer (9th September 2015), Ross the fiddler (9th September 2015)
Old 9th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Commencing from Windows 8, a new disk partition set-up called GPT was used in order to allow for extended use by the new OS. As I recently found, It isn't compatible with previous versions up to and including W7, which use an MBR set-up.

I eventually found a work-a-round but, the downside is that it will erase everything on the HD and I do mean everything. Any partitions etc., will be wiped clean.

It also involves using something called the command line = C:/

GPT error when installing Windows 7.

End users trying to install Windows 7 on a system that had shipped from the factory with Microsoft Windows 8 and was receiving a error that Windows 7 could not be installed to a GPT (GUID Partition Table) partition..

The Problem:

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a new style of partitioning which is part of the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Specification. This is used for Windows 8 factory installations for greater partition flexibility and more advanced functions of Windows 8. With an Windows 7 installation, the GPT partition has to be removed and UEFI BIOS needs to be configured in a Legacy boot configuration.

Using DISKPART Command to Resolve.

Once the UEFI BIOS has been set to Legacy mode, then boot to the Windows 7 DVD and press SHIFT+F10 at the point to create or delete partitions to exit to a Command Prompt.

Then type the following commands: CAUTION: This process will permanently remove any and all data on the target drive.

Type: DISKPART then press the Enter Key
  1. At the DISKPART prompt, type: LIST DISK then press the Enter Key (If system only has one hard drive, then disk 0 is the drive you are wanting to work on. If there are multiple disks, then determine the number of the drive you are re-partitioning.)
  2. At the DISKPART prompt, type: SELECT DISK (disknumber) then press the Enter Key
  3. At the DISKPART prompt, type: CLEAN then press the Enter Key (This command removes all partitions/volumes on the selected disk)
  4. At the DISKPART prompt, type: CONVERT MBR then press the Enter Key
  5. Type: EXIT then press the Enter Key
Restart the computer using the DVD drive with the Windows disk then access to the HD will be acknowledged.

Hope this is of some help?
Blimey, Wally, someone who actually understands Windows 8 ??

I'm steadily migrating my activities over to the Mac laptop that I bought. And the more I find out about it, the happier I'm becoming! When I install software it works first time with no hassle!! And even better, I bought an external HDD, and that too worked instantly! When I installed an extra HDD in my PC, it took over half an hour just to get it to find the new HDD. OK, the Mac photo editing software isn't as versatile as PSP X7 (I can't get X8 to run at all now, and with them refusing support, I've given up) but what's the use of versatility of you can't get it to work?

I only wish that I'd changed over to a Mac years ago.
Old 9th September 2015

Quote:
I bought an external HDD, and that too worked instantly!.
If your external HD is formatted for a Mac you can have problems reading and writing to it from other OS's. I can read a mac FS on my Linux box, but it's a faf to write to it.

JIm
Old 9th September 2015

Quote:
If your external HD is formatted for a Mac you can have problems reading and writing to it from other OS's. I can read a mac FS on my Linux box, but it's a faf to write to it.

JIm
Why would I want to, Jim? I have a 1TB second HDD on my PC for all my data (all the software being on the 250GB C drive.) I can do almost all of my U3A stuff on the Mac now, and my photo editing; the only thing I can't do as yet is the U3A magazine.

What gets to me is that my old PC worked reliably on XP, and I was well satisfied with it, generally. Then I find that I can't update some photo editing software (Adobe!!) unless I migrate to 7. When I do that, the problems start all over again. I don't want 10; I really don't rate 8; so where PCs are concerned I'm between a rock and a hard place. Or, more accurately, between a rock and a Mac.
Old 9th September 2015

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

Keith - what features are you looking for for a photo handling application
a Digital Asset Management system plus photo editing or just photo editing.
Old 9th September 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Keith - what features are you looking for for a photo handling application
a Digital Asset Management system plus photo editing or just photo editing.
On the PC I was just looking for a photo editor, and PSP filled the bill very well - except that the clone brush didn't work properly after the second update; but on teh Mac I shall probably use the Organiser in Elements 12.

I have Acorn 5 - which I don't like, and Olympus Viewer. I installed Elements this morning.

The reason for goimng to Win 7 was when I bought a camera that wasn't supported in Lightroom 4.x; I tried - and was told by Adobe - that I would have to install Win & to run Lightroom 5. They've altered it since - now it does install with XP and even earlier OSs.