Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th August 2015

Liked 42 Times in 36 Posts
Re: Windows Hell

No, Wally, sorry - but sounds like every Windoze rebuild I've done since 3.1 (April 1992)

OK, not true - Win2000
Old 24th August 2015

Liked 2,272 Times in 1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Just out of curiousity, Since reverting back from W10 to W8.1 has anyone started to have problems with Windows Update?

Over the last few days, I've had issues where the auto installation process gets screwed up to a point where @ around 30%, I'm informed that there has been a problem and that the updates are being 'reverted?

This then ends in a loop where the computer restarts and I'm back to updates are being 'reverted.

The only way I can break the sequence is to re-install the original W8 OS, whereupon, the problem re-surfaces once again when updates are downloaded and installation takes place???

The problem has happened on two separate machines?

Any help appreciated.
Have you tried the 'repair' procedure? That often works, and should correct any damaged registry entries, which I suspect is where things will have gone wrong.

Also, did you create a 'disk image' of your system drive before upgrading to W10 or reverting back to W8.1? It may be too late in your case but Windows disk images are very easily created (from Xp onwards), and can be used to restore the machine to exactly the same state that it was in when the disk image was created.

I have created disk images of all of my machines, which I keep on an external hard disk. I also create a new disk image when new programmes are successfully installed so I always have something to fall back on. I have only needed to do this once, but it saves a lot of faffing around when the need arises.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th August 2015

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

RE: Nigel and Johnheating man. Thanks for all the info but it seems I'm doomed, as the not so merry-go-round continues.

The files all download and install as they should. The crap, however, hits the fan when the files are configuring. The repair function completes and when it goes back into configuration mode, the cycle continues like a loop.

As I was never that impressed with W8, I updated the system to W8.1 and left it there on the original HD which has an OEM re-install. The upgrade to W10 went smooth as silk, but again I wasn't all that impressed so back pedaled to W8.1. This is where it all went pear-shaped and have now ended up with the original OEM W8 version which refuses to complete the installation processes when it starts to configure the files.

I'm now back to using my SSD drive with W7 and things are OK.

The idea of W10, was if I were to sell on, it would have the W10 install ready for the new user.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 25th August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
RE: Nigel and Johnheating man.
I'm now back to using my SSD drive with W7 and things are OK.
Good choice.

I like W8/8.1, but W7 is a good solid OS which works well with almost anything that you throw at it; including out of date Adobe programs that simply will not run properly on 8.1 (and I daresay W10).

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th August 2015

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
I've just sent off for a copy of the Linux Mint OS. Apparently it can be run from a memory stick, straight from the DVD, or as a new install. I'm going to play around with it on a Net-Book running Win XP. By the time I learn how to use it, MS should just be withdrawing support for Win 8.1

John
Not sure what you mean by "sent off for a copy" - you can simply download it, preferably using a torrent client..

Knoppix is also very good for trying a Linux system. It's got a very swish desktop:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Jim
Old 25th August 2015

I have never got into Linux, preferring the simplicity and compatibility of Windows.

Presumably, being Unix based, Linux is more like the Apple OS than Windows?

How do you get on with everyday apps such as Word and email clients, and what sort of printer support is there?

I doubt that I shall try it any time soon but I would like to know more.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th August 2015

Quote:
Hi Jim, this is a Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon DVD (32-bit). Should arrive tomorrow.

John
Did you have to pay for it? It should be downloadable for free.

Jim
Old 25th August 2015

Quote:
............ especially as it can be run from the DVD. Jim can probably tell you all about Linux.
Thanks. That's a good point. That would be worth a try just to see how it works, especially if no permanent installation is needed.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 25th August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I have never got into Linux, preferring the simplicity and compatibility of Windows.
I've used various versions of Windows up to 7, but have always found modern Linux distributions to be simpler and more straightforward to use. I always approach my 7 machine to use PS with a sinking heart! I find dealing with a MS OS is like dealing with a simpleton, or a 'know-it-all' shop assistant in PC World!

Quote:
Presumably, being Unix based, Linux is more like the Apple OS than Windows?
I guess so, but I've no experience of Apple.

Quote:
How do you get on with everyday apps such as Word and email clients, and what sort of printer support is there?
Easy. The main word processor apps are 'Open Office' and 'Libre Office', which have a similar 'look and feel' to MS Office. If you don't need the overhead of all the bells and
whistles of any of the above, 'Abiword' does most of what the majority of people need.
I use the 'Thunderbird' email client - I thought everybody does nowadays! I've never had any problems with printer support. Thousands are supported.

With a modern distribution like Ubuntu, or any of its 'flavours' you have a huge repository of free programmes at your fingertips. All you need to do is open the package manager and select what you want to install it. I can't remember installing applications being that simple on a MS OS! If you're not frightened of a command line, installation is as simple as saying 'apt-get install OpenOffice', or whatever. I'm sure anyone can do that!

Quote:
I doubt that I shall try it any time soon but I would like to know more.
Best way to try it is to burn a 'live' system like Knoppix onto a DVD and boot it in your machine. It will run, albeit slowly, off the DVD without touching your HD.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Naughty Nigel (26th August 2015)
Old 30th August 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
Win 8: a lot complained about m/soft adding up dates when it suited them so owners (and businesses) had to sit back and wait for M/soft to add the updates which could take 15-20 minutes . M/soft may have pulled the pin on that idea

m/soft said they did it because so many didn't add any up-dates (??) I have to admit the up dates can use a lot of mb at times/per month
I am told that you cannot stop Win10 updates - it forces you to have them. No options! The biggest problem that I have found with Windows is updates. Every new version is fine, until the updates start; then it gets more and more issues - ooops - "undocumented features"- and also slows down more and more. I run Win7 Pro 64 bit on an HP business computer with dual core 3.16 processor, 4GB RAM; coinciding with the Win10 symbol appearing, Win7 slowed down dramatically. I managed to get a lot of the speed back - but it took several hours work to achieve it.

Win7 updates have been ridiculous. As fast as you install an update, it "offers" more. Literally. At some points, I was updating it at least two or three times a week - despite setting the update manager to check for updates once a week. And, on occasion, IMMEDIATELY after installing the latest update set, it demanded I install a whole load more. As soon as Windows updates are installed, other program updates appear. My Wacom stylus tablet won't start up automatically any more - and Wacom don't have a solution for this issue. I was told to start it from the Services menu!

Why so many updates? No doubt Microsoft would say due to security concerns; but how can - clearly - a number of teams developing these updates ensure that they are all mutually compatible? They probably can't.

Worse is that if you don't install the updates, some websites or programs won't give you access, at times.

I have a Windows phone. That isn't updated frequently, unlike Win 7. And that appears stable and consistent. And it ASKS me to download and install - I can live with that.
Old 30th August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
Thanks for that. I couldn't get that far, as the "updater" says that the product code (the one on the multi-coloured sticker on the machine) is for an OEM installed system and cannot be updated. Contact the manufacturer for an update.

I'm now waiting for the OEM to get back to me with a solution.
That's going to be a common problem, then! I think my HP would have that problem. It was originally a business machine, running XP. My licence is for XP. I bought my HP as a refurb, with Win7 Pro 64 installed; it's impossible to know whether Win10 will install or not. From what I've seen of Win 10, I hope not.....
Old 30th August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
That's already happening in Win7 & using Google Chrome. As far as I know I have the settings that minimises feed back, but maybe there is more.
I wonder if that's the actual issue with third party AV/Internet security packages? I use Norton IS, so Windows firewall is disabled; that just might stop some of the private info being sent back to Big Brother, and Big Brother ain't going to tolerate that?
Old 30th August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketoll View Post
That is why I am not too bothered about some of the Win10 stuff because it is already happening. So I have turned off as much as I can and accept what is otherwise a nice OS, there is no escape. The first thing I turned off is the share your router bit and I must remember to go into the router to reset the login to include the _optout bit which is a pain because I will have to reset all my devices.
Here's a question for you all! Does the OS in the Macbook feed private info back to Apple, like Win 8, 8.1, and 10?
Old 30th August 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
The OEM called me today, to discuss my problems with updating my Laptop to W10.

It turns out that it's a machine that can't be updated from their backup media site, as it's "too old".

Having just become an OAP, I guess I'm going to experience that more and more often...
I had the same thing with my old desktop PC, an Acer, whilst the refurb HP that I replaced it with doesn't (yet) have the same problem - and it's the same age!
Old 30th August 2015

Quote:
Marty, just leave all the switchable options enabled, allow MS to read your e-mails, use your router to update a neighbour's computer, download updates whether you want them or not, log your movements and location, access all your personal messages and data, block any un-licenced programs, access your web cam and microphone, the list is endless with no doubt more to be revealed. No need to be worried :
I understand form our local computer shop that from Win 8 on, as soon as you have a MS account, if they see something that they don't like, MS can disable your operating system! Big Brother is alive and well....