Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 10th November 2013

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
Re: Adapter failure

the adaptor failed in its union with the camera so the lens and it fell. as I was holding the lens hood, the adaptor landed first and was well bent. The lens continues to work well even though it bounced a couple of times.
I could not find any warning from Olympus to guard against this type of failure.
The supplier (SRS) worked hard to get Olympus to replace the adapter.
Old 10th November 2013

Liked 205 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
the adaptor failed in its union with the camera
I have sympathy with you, but I'd think that it would be difficult to prove either way whether the adaptor failed or if it was just not engaged properly, so I can understand Olympus' reluctance to treat this as an equipment failure.
Old 9th February 2014

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
I have sympathy with you, but I'd think that it would be difficult to prove either way whether the adaptor failed or if it was just not engaged properly, so I can understand Olympus' reluctance to treat this as an equipment failure.
I think you have it there. IF the adapter/camera joint failed then either the adapter or the camera flanges will/must show damage. It looks like the release button has been activated (Or failed???) and the adapter has rotated on the camera before simply falling off.

I very much doubt any currently available lens has the weight to rip out the adapter from the camera. I have been known to walk around with the 70-300mm four thirds lens, EC1.4 and MMF2 on the front of my EPL5 and there is no sign of 'give' at any of the joint interfaces.

I do have the camera on a shoulder strap and hold the lens as I walk, but not through any worry about joint strength but just to avoid any unwanted impacts.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 10th February 2014

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

disclaimer on the product literature ...
Four Thirds Adapter MMF-1 / MMF-2 and MMF-3

This lens mount adapter makes it possible to mount any existing Four Thirds lens on the PEN for use in AF shooting.
* When using an SHG lens, please make sure to hold the lens as well, or optical performance might not work.
* Please use a tripod mount on the lens when using a tripod to hold a camera with the lens that has a tripod mount
* When using the MMF-3, some functions may be restricted.

I've been waiting for this to happen (sorry), warned it might (on DPR), and had my doubts as to how well they would hold up with the heavy HG and SHG lenses in the field if the lens was not fully supported, in the heat of the moment. I do agree that the release was probably disengaged at some point and the lens chose to unhinge itself in due time and fall off the camera mount. I might add that my fears were spurred on by my anger of Oly for not releasing an E-7 and the need for having to use an adapter with the 4/3rds lenses to begin with on the EMs
Old 26th May 2014

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

So the claim that 43 lenses can be used on m43 cameras is not valid, the MM-n device is not suitable for normal every day use and does not give the m43 cameras the capability of every day usage of 43 lenses - unless they are lightweight lenses.
So a marketing claim not a factual claim.
Old 26th May 2014

Liked 295 Times in 186 Posts

I have no problem ( touch wood ) with the em-1/mmf-3 used with my 14/35 F2, 35/100 f2, 50/200 SWD and the 90/250 F2.8. I always hold the lens and not just the body which of course should go without saying really. I have always done this with heavy and/or very large lenses no matter which camera system I have used, never rely solely on the body bayonet mount screws or an adapter

Best regards, Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (27th May 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (27th May 2014)
Old 27th May 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
So the claim that 43 lenses can be used on m43 cameras is not valid, the MM-n device is not suitable for normal every day use and does not give the m43 cameras the capability of every day usage of 43 lenses - unless they are lightweight lenses.
So a marketing claim not a factual claim.
Good point Derek ... and I guess OLY believe a tripod should be used with a tripod mount ring fitted as standard

I think the BIGMA damaged my Lens ring on the E-5 because from time to time I used it hand held and it hung about my neck often and sometime I was not supporting the weighty BIGMA - which undoubtedly, was "pulling down" on the lens mount ring of the E-5

a sad state of affairs ...
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 27th May 2014

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

The truth is that using a 4/3- 1.4 or 2x extender, or the EX-25, also puts a strain on the mounts of even the 4/3rds bodies with the bigger and heavier lenses. I often feel the 14-35 alone puts quite a strain, and flexes on the mounts of the E-3 and 5 bodies. The lenses with tripod mounts alleviate some of the strain as long as the lens is supported along with the body when hand holding

The problem lies in the fact that one has to be exceedingly more careful
when using these 'adapters', which is not always possible "in the heat of the moment" as I said earlier.
The M4/3 adapter is even smaller and seemingly less sturdily manufactured.

Olympus seems determined to continue selling the 4/3 glass, though it may be a loosing proposition at this stage of the game.
I cannot help but wonder how long any of the 4/3 glass will continue to be
manufactured,all things considered ...
Old 29th May 2014

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh202 View Post
The truth is that using a 4/3- 1.4 or 2x extender, or the EX-25, also puts a strain on the mounts of even the 4/3rds bodies with the bigger and heavier lenses. I often feel the 14-35 alone puts quite a strain, and flexes on the mounts of the E-3 and 5 bodies. The lenses with tripod mounts alleviate some of the strain as long as the lens is supported along with the body when hand holding

The problem lies in the fact that one has to be exceedingly more careful
when using these 'adapters', which is not always possible "in the heat of the moment" as I said earlier.
The M4/3 adapter is even smaller and seemingly less sturdily manufactured.

Olympus seems determined to continue selling the 4/3 glass, though it may be a loosing proposition at this stage of the game.
I cannot help but wonder how long any of the 4/3 glass will continue to be
manufactured,all things considered ...
x Hugs to Winchester, VA from the ORIGINAL Winchester, Hampshire, UK

I suspect all the time there is a market for OLY 4/3rds glass which after all, could be 20+ years - my legal OM glass is as good at the job the lenses were made for back in the 1990's and earlier

as they say in Dallas "if'n it ain't broke dont fix it nor bin it" and the Japanese say "Profit - investment - profit - more marketing - second wave of sales - more marketing - third waves of sales ... ad im finitum

or "If you cot it, flaunt it, you classy Tart" Soho, London 2015
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album