Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-400

Olympus E-400 E-400 specific discussion.

Old 10th April 2008

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts
Re: Currys whatever happens hell!

The Web has put a bit of power in the hands of the consumer.

Prior to the web and forums, the problems that occurred in one place would never have been heard of only a few miles away. Now the whole world knows about the failings of a company. So if it adds a little bit of a buzz to the service sector and encourages them to up the game then good.

It would be interesting to know how British Leyland would have reacted if the web and forums had been about during their "glory" days.
Old 10th April 2008
Administrator

Liked 505 Times in 279 Posts

I agree with John (MusicMan) that things like this do have a place. - yes each post of a new issue will be specific and yes people should take things up with customer service first, but the information does help all of us get a bigger picture of a supplier

For a supplier that's being criticised its not so good, but then threads on this forum have led me to a supplier that I've used so that is good for them.

Re the supplier in question - I did by my E-500 from them and yes I've been happy as it was an excellent price at the time. However since I've been sent about 4 letters about extended warranty that I did not take out as I'd read very good things about Olympus support and warranties and it did not seem good value to me and to date that's been right as none of my Kit has gone wrong. If I had paid for all the unused warranties that I've been offered over the years then it would probably add up to more than all my photo kit put together. Insurance is just like betting - overall you need to weigh up the odds and make your own decision.

Also on ANY suppliers extended warranties I tend to take a look at the small print - the exclusions are often the ones I would most consider likely. e.g. from the supplier in questions website tonight

You get...

Quote:
Breakdown caused by mishaps
but in exclusions ...
Quote:
Damage or breakdown due to flood, wind or other severe weather conditions
and
Quote:
For all products under 130 (excluding PC monitors, PCs, laptops, large domestic appliances, Sky and projectors) you will not be
protected for breakdown caused by mishaps.
This all adds up to a potential future argument to me on what was a mishap and whether it was weather related and how many people don't realise there is a 130 limit.

This isn't a dig at the one supplier they are all "as bad" on this one. I suggest like many other things that anything that sounds too good mught be and you need to look for the lead lining in the silver cloud.

But then I am a cynic

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 10th April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
But then I am a cynic
I'm afraid I am too, I've often wondered the photographic retailers I've used have never offered extended warranties if they're so useful.

I hope you hear something soon Scanny, and it's a positive result
Old 12th April 2008
scanny

Well finnally the currys what have sent you lottery came to an end. I got vouchers to the value of what i originally paid and a rebate on the extended warranty i never used. Swiftly shot down to my local currys and bought an e510. Happy days
Old 12th April 2008
emirpprime

Glad to hear it finally got sorted out! I'm sure you'll enjoy the new 510 and thoughts of the ordeal will soon be forgotten. You do realise we will be pestering you for shots from the new cam... just to check its not a dud of course
Phil
Old 12th April 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Great result scanny, I am glad things turned out for you as they should have done.

Old 13th April 2008
scanny

IS is my new friend, how have i managed without it! Not such a fan of live view but ill explore it im sure. On the warranty, for the £49 it costs for four years, as long as you dont mind sending your camera away and forgetting about it for a month, then its relatilvy inexpensive for the pace of mind. One point of complaint i found was the warranty does not cover the lenses. At the time of purchase the e400 was £350, then the option of the second kit lens included for £429. They refunded me £429 however if the lenses arent coverd should the cover not have been purchased only on the price of the camera at £350. A strange one but im not complaining with the two lenses im now left with