Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements

Announcements E-System news releases.

Old 16th January 2008

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts
Re: UK Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Cool... tell him I sent ya!

His name is Ian Kerr, and his online name is Kerso.
Cheers John, I also managed to track his shop down on eBay via Google. I'll tell him you sent me

Steve
Old 17th January 2008
Photocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I have written several editorials on this matter and I think there are several factors that contribute. Although the US has a larger total market than the UK, Europe is bigger than the US, so I don't really buy that.

Import duties paid by manufacturers in Europe might be higher than in the US and certainly the tax at the point of retail sale is much higher - maybe 2-3 times higher. But most Americans have to pay a lot more local taxes, more than we pay in Council Tax.

But I every time I think about this issue, I return to the suspicion that the electronic goods market isn't competitive enough in the UK. Dixons/Currys/PC World, Comet and Argos have a huge slice of the market and can happily charge a big premium over other suppliers - and maybe force manufacturers to give them a big discount when ordering their supplies too. I have recently acquired a flat screen LCD TV; it costs £850 in the high street but you can order it on the Internet for £600.

I'm all in favour of paying a moderate premium to reward knowledgable and helpful high street businesses, but I don't see that reward being earned by many high street multiples, with the possible exception of John Lewis.

Just my opinion of course!

Ian
I agree with you Ian. Sometimes Britain is a little too cozy with few companies prepared to upset the apple cart. Take car prices in the 1990s. Britain had a huge price premium compared to Europe with no satisfactory explanation from UK retailers. Their coziness was brought to an end by the internet which enabled people to see what was really going on and buy direct from European dealers. In the end, car prices plummeted. I know of U.S. companies operating here who are astonished they are able to charge the same price in Sterling as Dollars back home. Britain is known internationally for rich pickings. Dixons Store Group bought the French internet camera supplier Pixmania for a good reason; people were getting too good a deal without them. Just like the car price fixing, if everyone circumvents UK price-coziness enough, the big companies will feel the pinch and start yielding on prices.
Old 17th January 2008

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Couldn't agree more. Rip off Britain still exists.
Old 17th January 2008
dlinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPhotography View Post
Hi folks

I just checked on the HM Customs website, and found the following regarding import duty payable.

Digital still camera (as opposed to video), No duty payable, with 17.5% VAT payable.

Camera lenses 6.7% duty, plus 17.5% VAT.

Interestingly, Fim still cameras have duty charged at 4.9%.

I'm not sure why Digital cameras have no duty to pay. Maybe someone else knows more than I do?

Either way, considering the exchange rate with USD, it would seem some prices in USA may still be better even with duty- if you go the legit route!

By the way thanks to all who helped last week, I have now recieved my brand spanking new Grip for my E-3. The E-3 is a great camera to have in Glasgow (lots of rain).

B.
Don't forget that you have to add the shipping costs before applying the Duty & VAT. Also you will typically pay a handling fee to the shipping agent for collection of the Duty/VAT that can be £10-£20.
Old 17th January 2008

Liked 115 Times in 62 Posts

I definitely wont be taking a chance on buying abroad. Ian Kerso has quoted me a very good price which I have accepted, so thanks very much to those that recommended him

Steve
Old 10th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, the cheapest here in Sweden is £455,88.
And the price for an E-3 (housing only) is about £315 more than in UK.
Old 11th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdet View Post
Well, the cheapest here in Sweden is £455,88.
And the price for an E-3 (housing only) is about £315 more than in UK.
That's a lot.

I hope your wages are better than they are here.
Old 6th March 2008
Nivek

If you buy from the states customs can only check so many packages so there is a great chance you will get away with it. I buy a lot of stuff from the states my Panosaurus was less that half price there. I have purchased lenses as well and only twice have I had to pay duty.

There is another thing you can do. If you email the company you are dealing with in the states asking them to write “present” on the package I think this will help.

But remember if you have problems with your purchase you may have to post it back for repair.
Old 6th March 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
But remember if you have problems with your purchase you may have to post it back for repair.
Thats not strictly true. In the case of an international warranty applying, you can send the item back for repair through your in-country manufacturers site. In our case, Oly at Watford.

PeterD
Old 6th March 2008
Nivek

Thanks I didn't know that. that has been logged in my little red book.
Old 6th March 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Thanks I didn't know that. that has been logged in my little red book.
Kevin

I should have added though that the real downside, purchasing overseas, is that if you have a real duffer and you want your money back or replacement, then you will have to post it back to the supplier. Having said that, Oly gave me a replacement E3 and 12 60 lens directly. So there are exceptions to the rule.

PeterD
Old 6th March 2008

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Stephen

I Have sent you a private message