Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 27th April 2019

Liked 3,200 Times in 1,729 Posts
Diesel Engine Runaway

My Peugeot diesel was giving me an excess engine oil warning. This probably resulted from a failed burn-off of the exhaust filter prior to the cause being remedied. Such a failure is know to push diesel into the sump.

Thinking this was just a minor issue, I have arranged for the oil to be drained, a new filter fitted and the oil replaced to the required level. My mechanic told me of the possible consequences of the excess oil, which could start a runaway process when it gets sucked into the cylinders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway

Harold
Jax (27th April 2019), OM USer (27th April 2019), wornish (27th April 2019)
Old 27th April 2019

Liked 210 Times in 140 Posts
Re: Diesel Engine Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
My Peugeot diesel was giving me an excess engine oil warning. This probably resulted from a failed burn-off of the exhaust filter prior to the cause being remedied. Such a failure is know to push diesel into the sump.

Thinking this was just a minor issue, I have arranged for the oil to be drained, a new filter fitted and the oil replaced to the required level. My mechanic told me of the possible consequences of the excess oil, which could start a runaway process when it gets sucked into the cylinders:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_engine_runaway

Harold
Thanks for posting this interesting info Harold. It seems to be very concerning especially as we have 2 Peugeot diesel vehicles one 10 yrs old and a 3 yr old. The possible consequences detailed on Wikipedia are even more worrying

Jax
Old 27th April 2019

Liked 178 Times in 118 Posts

I used to have a 2 1/4 diesel engine in the Landrover, which I eventually replaced witha 3.5 V8 when it started running on its own engine oil.
Compression was quite low, with high crankcase pressure allowing oil into the combustion chamber, when I would get runaway and large clouds of smoke.
Fortunately a manual gearbox, so I could stall the engine and let it cool down for a while before continuing on my journey.

It's a serious problem with an auto box as one can't easily stall the engine, the only real solution being a rag or suitable fire extinguisher up the air inlet, but it's always a bit precarious getting that close to a runaway engine.

The one to watch out for with modern turbo diesels, is the seals in the turbo starting to wear out. this allows an oil mist into the air inlet, again leading to runaway. If the inside of the intercooler starts getting too contaminated, make sure you get the problem investigated.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 28th April 2019
Administrator

Liked 506 Times in 280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
I used to have a 2 1/4 diesel engine in the Landrover, which I eventually replaced witha 3.5 V8 .
That's and expensive option isn't it? Why not a 200/300 TDi which would be a much better mpg. Mine went from the V8 to the 300 and I get nearly double the range

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 28th April 2019

Liked 178 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenstone View Post
That's and expensive option isn't it? Why not a 200/300 TDi which would be a much better mpg. Mine went from the V8 to the 300 and I get nearly double the range

Regards
Andy
Ah, but this was in 1988 when alternative diesels were thin on the ground.
My Disco 1 is a 300TDi.
The Lightweight doesn't do many miles these days, and is far from standard.
High Ratio transfer box, giving approx RangeRover gearing in high box and Series gearing in low, so best of both worlds.
This is mated to a Borg Warner 66 out of a Series 2 Jag, and slowed down by TI Console disks at the front and LWB drums at the rear.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 27th April 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

The runaway Diesel engine often comes to a sticky end, eventually resulting in self destruction given no electronic rev. limiting and a gallon or more of sump oil to consume.

-> Brakes on hard, first gear, up against a wall try stalling the engine if possible. NB I'm not at all qualified to offer advice, I'm just saying what I might try in similar circumstances.

on flickr
Old 27th April 2019

Liked 1,531 Times in 754 Posts

This is scary stuff.

My Flickr
Old 27th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
This is scary stuff.
The main thing it that the ignition key and the ECU will become irrelevant. Starving the engine of air would be the most cost-effective solution but sacrificing the clutch to stall it is the next best.

On the positive side, only about half the cars in the UK are at potential risk.

Harold
Old 27th April 2019
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

It would seem that there are several of us that have experienced this.

I used to manage a fleet workshop and got a call to come and see something “interesting”...

An old track vehicle, with a multi-fuel engine was running quite fast and the fitters explained that they had closed the fuel valve but it was running on its own oil. It eventually stopped when it couldn’t get enough oil to run and there was no damage. That was down to a leaking oil cooler.

I have seen others, where Con-rods have come out the side of the block and crankshaft split into bits...

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 27th April 2019

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts

Diesel engine runaway is a well known problem in diesel engines big and small. Some industrial engines, such as fork lift engines have suffered this in flammable environments with disastrous consequences. These are now fitted with air intake limiters to cut off the air supply in runaway situations.

In an automatic the only thing you can do is to put the gearbox into neutral and let the engine blow itself to pieces. This doesn't usually take long.

JLR used to provide free oil changes where the engine oil level became excessive owing to failed regenerations. (This were recorded in the black box.) The problem was solved around ten years ago with an ECU software update.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 27th April 2019

Liked 1,614 Times in 1,033 Posts

I was a test inspector at the Rolls Royce Small Engine factory, involved with testing Gnome engines, used in helicopters:

https://www.rolls-royce.com/products...y/gnome.aspx#/

Oil was cooled on the engine in a sandwich box sized cooler where the engine fuel flowed past a matrix of tubes carrying the oil. There was an incident where the matrix ruptured and engine oil was pumped into the fuel system. The engine ran away and the tester was unable to shut the engine down by cutting off the fuel supply - it was running on the oil. The faster the engine ran, the faster the oil pump pumped oil into the fuel burners and the engine eventually burned out.

Jim
Old 27th April 2019

Liked 1,531 Times in 754 Posts

Think I might switch back to petrol.
I have a diesel with an auto gearbox and no high-level oil warning light. I checked that this afternoon.

My Flickr
Old 27th April 2019

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
Think I might switch back to petrol.
I have a diesel with an auto gearbox and no high-level oil warning light. I checked that this afternoon.
As long as you keep an eye on it there should be nothing to worry about. I had high-ish oil level on a couple of occasions but nothing went wrong. I got free oil changes, a software update and all was well.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 28th April 2019

Liked 3,526 Times in 1,639 Posts

My only experience with a dodgy diesel was with my boat. I motored to my mooring, tied up switched off the engine and cracked open a beer with my neighboring boat.

To my surprise, the old Bukh 20 just started all by itself. Must have been a fault in the control panel I guess. And it was reving quite high. I tried the Stop solenoid to no effect, panic was setting in a little now...Next I tried cutting off the air supply at the air filter to no effect.

My last and only solution was to get at the back of the engine, (two hatches and liferaft removal), and cut the fuel supply. I undid the fuel line just before the fuel bowl.

I then waited for 15 minutes whilst the engine used up the fuel bowl's worth of diesel...………..Now that is economical or what...…………..

All fixed now, and the boat is up for sale/sail...…..

My Flickr
Old 28th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
My only experience with a dodgy diesel was with my boat. I motored to my mooring, tied up switched off the engine and cracked open a beer with my neighboring boat.

To my surprise, the old Bukh 20 just started all by itself. Must have been a fault in the control panel I guess. And it was reving quite high. I tried the Stop solenoid to no effect, panic was setting in a little now...Next I tried cutting off the air supply at the air filter to no effect.

My last and only solution was to get at the back of the engine, (two hatches and liferaft removal), and cut the fuel supply. I undid the fuel line just before the fuel bowl.

I then waited for 15 minutes whilst the engine used up the fuel bowl's worth of diesel...………..Now that is economical or what...…………..

All fixed now, and the boat is up for sale/sail...…..
In correct procedure. You should have sunk the boat!

Harold
Jax (28th April 2019), MJ224 (28th April 2019), Naughty Nigel (28th April 2019)