Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 13th January 2009
Four Thirds User

Arrow Olympus announces “Rev up your system” promotion

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Olympus is offering all purchasers of the award winning E-3 one of five free products.

More...
Old 13th January 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Olympus announces “Rev up your system” promotion

Great offer and must be very tempting for those who are considering purchasing a new E-3.

I just wish organisations would consider how they treat existing long term customers and perhaps come up with offers specifically for them. Business Development is not all about attracting new customers, it also includes retaining those you have and maximising revenue from them too.

It's a shame that this policy (80/20 revenue split between existing and new customers) has not fully migrated to B2C as it has from B2B; there'd be many more satisfied customers, and thus reduced churn - if so.

Old 13th January 2009

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

These sort of offers don't keep faith with existing users, I wonder if there is an E4 in the offing? I feel raher let down when I see these sort of offers.
Old 13th January 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
These sort of offers don't keep faith with existing users, I wonder if there is an E4 in the offing? I feel raher let down when I see these sort of offers.
I have to agree that I too feel somewhat let down when I see these offers. They are of course, great for new business and for those considering investing the e-system kit... but for us, the long term consistent users, they are not motivational at all.

I remain delighted with my E-3, and will be an e-system user for many years; but it would most certainly be nice if this loyalty was recognised and acknowledged.

Old 13th January 2009

Liked 1,734 Times in 1,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky View Post
I feel pretty much the same!

Jim
Old 13th January 2009
E-P1 fan

............................but surely photographic companies exist to sell cameras - not to make existing purchasers feel warm and snuggly.

Actually if we have bought an E-3 (I haven't) already as well as a couple of lenses and a flashgun - Oly won't logically have a lot of interest in us will they...
other than to sell us the E-4 the E-5 etc. For Oly read... Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji et al.

Actually IMHO Olympus, via Ian and this site, has done MUCH more than the others. Even if our grips and batteries had been surplus to Oly's 2008 requirements,
overstocks or ex front-line stock - they didn't have to offer us anything - but they did.

I was totally delighted to receive mine and I appreciate the gestures very much. Also the competition prizes they have put up are the best I've seen anywhere on the web.

I certainly feel well served by Oly - and if some current sweeteners tempt other people to jump into purchasing an E-3 and join the 4/3rds fold - I'm all for it. Good job Oly!
Old 14th January 2009

Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts

This is all around good business sense for everyone. And is a good marketing case study.

Olympus need to sell cameras and there is enormous pressure on selling anything through a retail channel (as we all know) now. You are under pressure to reduce prices or offer a cash-back voucher for £xx back (they are a pain). None of us need retailers to drop our brand it will make everything else harder.

If you cut your price you can never put it back up. So Olympus avoid reducing the headline rrp price by adding in extras. The cost of extras to them does not contain the selling mark-ups. Plus it will be in the marketing budget for tax. But to the consumer they see extras of huge value at retail. This builds brand share and introduces new happy users. The market for 4/3 lenses etc gets bigger and we need that.

For current owners you don't see the retail price drop. So you don't think you lose all of your investment quite so quickly and make re-selling it impossible (this is not quite the case when they have an endless string of offers). But I hate to see the price drops after I've bought something, don't you?

When introducing new cameras, like the E30, they still have a rational pricing tree. The top model should have the highest retail rrp. Not always easy when you update the lines at different times. The arguments already on here show people are sensitive to that price.

Olympus know that even in tough times people will buy cameras if they have a reason to justify it to others and themselves. We all love an offer. We all talk about good deals.

So I think they are a doing a good job for as many people as they can. I personally want them to succeed, grow and introduce more macro kit again. Good luck in anything they can do to survive, thrive and win out.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 17th January 2009

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Well from what I can see Olympus have just put the price up of the E-3. They were going for the lower £900's body only before Xmas. Now your looking at £1100 average. Guess the exchange rate has not helped and trying to offset the increase with a little offer.

Simon
Old 18th January 2009
Kiwi Paul

You can get them for £910 delivered now.

Paul
Old 18th January 2009
Kiwi Paul

I have seen the E30 price on a couple of sites £999.99 That makes the E3 deal even sweeter for anyone considering upgrading but waiting to see the E30 prices first. No doubt the E30 price will come down over the next few months but I was hoping it would be around £700 - £800 at realease so I'm now pondering the E3 deal, best price I have seen as of yesterday was £910 delivered.

Paul
Old 18th January 2009

Liked 2,526 Times in 1,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
............................but surely photographic companies exist to sell cameras - not to make existing purchasers feel warm and snuggly.

Actually if we have bought an E-3 (I haven't) already as well as a couple of lenses and a flashgun - Oly won't logically have a lot of interest in us will they...
other than to sell us the E-4 the E-5 etc. For Oly read... Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Fuji et al.

Actually IMHO Olympus, via Ian and this site, has done MUCH more than the others. Even if our grips and batteries had been surplus to Oly's 2008 requirements,
overstocks or ex front-line stock - they didn't have to offer us anything - but they did.

I was totally delighted to receive mine and I appreciate the gestures very much. Also the competition prizes they have put up are the best I've seen anywhere on the web.

I certainly feel well served by Oly - and if some current sweeteners tempt other people to jump into purchasing an E-3 and join the 4/3rds fold - I'm all for it. Good job Oly!
"""" WHS """""

Businesses simply cannot afford to make long term customers feel 'warm and cosy', especially in the present economic climate. The offers that we are discussing here are simply a way of winning customers, and shifting stock in these very difficult conditions.

I bought my E1 when the body price alone was well over £1,000! I received a free grip via this forum, which I am very grateful for, but I certainly don't feel hard done by over my investment.

The fact is, all of us here need Olympus Cameras to stay in business, and these offers are simply a way of ensuring that.

However, I think Olympus has one major problem: The E1 is just so good that many owners simply don't want to part with them, and do not see the need to 'upgrade'. A quick look at the Gallery images shows exactly what I mean!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 18th January 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,556 Times in 2,166 Posts

I have no right to feel let down because I bought my E3 second hand! In some respects I wish I'd waited for this offer as it makes it a better bargain than the deal I did for my used body but then I wouldn't have had the pleasure of using it for the past 6 months.

It's too late for me to benefit this time around but sooner or later there will be an E4 - which I won't buy.......until, perhaps, it is given a boost with this type of promotion as it nears the end of it's shelf life with the E5 just around the corner. I've bought into the E-System for the long term so I guess it's swings and roundabouts!

However, Olympus could still boost new sales and reward existing customers with similar deals for lenses and accessories. How about buy a 14-35mm f2 and get a 50-200mm free? Or buy a 50-200mm and get a free teleconverter? The permutations are endless and would represent just as good business as selling new cameras.

Meanwhile, for anyone who wants an E3 now is the time.....fill your boots!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Meanwhile, for anyone who wants an E3 now is the time.....fill your boots!
I think that is true of almost any product at the moment, as businesses compete for the few pounds left in our pockets.

There is no doubt that it is a buyers market at present, but always remember, there is no sentiment in business!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 19th January 2009
E-P1 fan

Interestingly the Canon G9 I got for £254 in December is now £289.69 from the same seller - Amazon
Old 19th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-1 fan View Post
Interestingly the Canon G9 I got for £254 in December is now £289.69 from the same seller - Amazon
Mmmmm. That's interesting. I suspect the exchange rate may have had something to do with this. However, I also suspect that G9 prices dropped when the G10 was launched, but have increased again following dissapointing reviews (too many pixels and too much noise) of the G10.

Perhaps Canon (and others) will now get the message that adding more and more pixels is not the answer?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing