Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 3rd March 2012

Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,456 Posts
Liked 4,190 Times in 1,900 Posts
Splash Proof ... ?

My personal challenge today was to capture images of torrential Rain.
I don't mean floods and property damage that is the inevitable aftermath of extreme events,
but the beauty to be found in its detail. Water, wind and fire are essential to existence - they can be our servants or our masters.

After two months of unrelenting heat a deep low pressure trough is now moving slowly across Australia.

During the past 72 hours Northeastern Victoria has had 500mm of rain and we are under a major flood alert.

As I write, 100mm will fall tonight and Wangaratta streets will be awash by morning.

Undaunted at the prospect of getting thoroughly drenched, I headed for the deluge with the E-3 + 50-200mm and the E-PL3 + 12-60mm.

At the Showgrounds fans were queuing for a match between two Melbourne football teams, Essendon and StKilda.
Without a brolly, the cameras and I got very wet yet we continued to function seemlessly together, nonetheless!

Not being a footy fan myself I just watched the crowd in wonder as it queued up at the ticket box.
What invisible force compels them to stand in the rain for hours watching prime young men injure themselves and each other?

Well, by this time the gear and I had had enough so we headed home to watch the mud bath on the sporting news
only to learn that due to flooding the Essendon team (ironically known as "the Bombers") was unable to land at Wangaratta airport,
so the match was cancelled and deemed a draw. I towelled off the cameras and poured myself a stiff double scotch to round out the day!

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill

Last edited by pandora; 3rd March 2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: To rewrite the gibberish text composed last night at 2:00AM! :)
The Following User Says Thank You to pandora For This Useful Post:
catkins (3rd March 2012)
Old 4th March 2012

Re: Splash Proof ... ?

This is your last chance ... be the FIRST to comment on this orphan child conceived out of wedlock!

Old 5th March 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,441 Times in 2,107 Posts

My goodness you're having some wet weather and you've certainly captured the essence of it. Well done for going out in those conditions!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th March 2012

Thank you, John for rescuing this thread headed rightly or wrongly for oblivion.

Images #2 and #8 are ring-ins from my archives 2006, shot with a C-5050UZ, added to the post to fit the theme. The rest are as stated.

Referring to your post, "Dissatisfied with my Photography", it may interest you to know that I was only motivated to brave the wet because I was looking for inspiration in something different to my usual. I think that is what we have to do to drag ourselves out of the periodic rut.

The same applied to my current LFP post, "Australian Broadband Personified", I was heading out when I spotted that snail slithering across my garden path and suddenly saw it as a photo op outside my usual genre - I thanked it for posing for me by not tossing on the road to be crushed by passing traffic ... indeed, the more I shoot macro the more in tune with nature I become..

Old 5th March 2012

Thanked 1,379 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 2,289 Times in 1,084 Posts

Can't believe no one posted initially. I think those rain shots are really good. The close ups are very artistic. You could hang them in a modern gallery. You just seem to have captured interest in something so ordinary, whenever I try something like that it just captures the ordinary.
Old 5th March 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Mark, love the creative art of 1 & 2 AWESOME ART ! ...
Fans amaze me with dedication, rain or snow they turn out in the cold for hours mad
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 5th March 2012

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,080 Posts

Lovely shots Mark, but some of us are a little over looking at rain at the moment.

It was so nice to get some nice sun yesterday & today (although it still rained last night). I might put a thread together tomorrow with a few of the photos I took today. I have more work than I can cope with right now (all I need is the motivation to spend the hours doing it), but I had to take advantage of the sun & grab a few shots in celebration. We just didn't get a Summer this year with only a handful of warm days without rain & with some warm tropical days of high humidity & storms. I can't complain as I would probably have just been veging out in front of the air conditioner if it was a hot Summer (for us here) & worried about bushfires instead.

Thanks for the nice photos anyhow Mark. The first one really grabs it for me.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 5th March 2012
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Love #2 with #1 not far behind.

Hec
Old 5th March 2012

Thanked 1,303 Times in 1,018 Posts
Liked 1,944 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Love #2 with #1 not far behind.

Hec
Yes, the second one is a good image too.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 5th March 2012

Liked 664 Times in 282 Posts

I'm voting for #1, a very striking shot. The water looks like mercury.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 5th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Mark, love the creative art of 1 & 2 AWESOME ART ! ... Fans amaze me with dedication, rain or snow they turn out in the cold for hours mad
Yes Chevvy - Fans amaze me too. I admit that I have never been interested in or followed sport. By nature I am non-competitive. I see competition as a trick of the weak to harness the able.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Lovely shots Mark, but some of us are a little over looking at rain at the moment. It was so nice to get some nice sun yesterday & today (although it still rained last night). I might put a thread together tomorrow with a few of the photos I took today. I have more work than I can cope with right now (all I need is the motivation to spend the hours doing it), but I had to take advantage of the sun & grab a few shots in celebration. We just didn't get a Summer this year with only a handful of warm days without rain & with some warm tropical days of high humidity & storms. I can't complain as I would probably have just been veging out in front of the air conditioner if it was a hot Summer (for us here) & worried about bushfires instead. Thanks for the nice photos anyhow Mark. The first one really grabs it for me.
Thanks Ross. And yes, I guess that most of us don't get too excited over rain pictures in the way we drool over sunsets, blue skies, sunlit fields and puppy dogs!

Glad to hear that you have lots of work - keep the wheels of commerce turning son for the likes of us retirees who need our pensions paid!

Unlike you up there in NSW, our summer has been as unbearable as ever. All us southerners complain about the heat and say we long for winter. When it arrives we still complain and again look forward to summer!
Bushfires are not such an issue here as there isn't much bush to burn on these wide flat sparsely timbered plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Can't believe no one posted initially. I think those rain shots are really good. The close ups are very artistic. You could hang them in a modern gallery. You just seem to have captured interest in something so ordinary, whenever I try something like that it just captures the ordinary.
Thanks Phil. I agree, the first two pics are arty, the football fans belong to a different genre, street or press photography, which also interest me. However, my initial, badly presented posting went off half-cocked at 2:00AM which I later edited, but probably too late and not before it had had 100 odd views and no replies. The title wasn't too clever either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
Love #2 with #1 not far behind. Hec
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdal View Post
I'm voting for #1, a very striking shot. The water looks like mercury.
Thanks there, Hec. and jdal.

Old 6th March 2012

Liked 154 Times in 67 Posts

Mark - all great but #1 is the one which clearly demonstrates your theme.

Sick of the rain myself.
Old 6th March 2012

Thanks Terry ... the title was actually intended to refer to the splash proof properties of the E-3 and SWD lenses.