Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen E-P3

Olympus Pen E-P3 The third-generation Micro Four Thirds flagship Pen model from Olympus, complete with capacitive touch screen!

Old 3rd September 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reflections on EP3 viewfinder.

I am new on here and this is my first post. I bought an Olympus Pen E-P3 about 2 years ago but have not had time to use it except very occasionally this summer.

My problem is that I cannot take any photos outdoors in sunlight as there is appalling reflection in the viewfinder. I have called the helpline but they have been unable to help.

This is an expensive camera and I should not have this problem. All I can see when I focus is my own reflection or the background behind me.

The reason I purchased this camera was size and portability -I should not have to purchase an additional viewfinder.

Unfortunately the photo chain I purchased the camera from has gone out of business so I cannot return the camera to them.

I would be very grateful for your advice on this as at present the camera is not fit for purpose. (Of course it might be that I am doing something very stupid as I do not have any experience of photography - that is why I bought this camera).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

With kindest regards,
Tim Horgan
Old 3rd September 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Lightbulb Re: Reflections on EP3 viewfinder.

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum.

This problem with using the screen in sunlight is something we hear all the time from all sorts of makes of camera. The EP3 is far from being the worse, but it still has its limitations.

There are several screen hoods available that will help such as this and others that all do a similar job.

The EVF such as the VF-2 solves the problem, but is not cheap. However they do come up on eBay and can be well worth getting, as the camera is capable of producing excellent results and it's a pity if you are not enjoying working with it as much as you would like.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...

Last edited by Graham_of_Rainham; 3rd September 2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: speelin erras
Old 3rd September 2013

Thanked 1,118 Times in 700 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts
Re: Reflections on EP3 viewfinder.

I have had a simillar experience with my e-p3 and xz-1 and found by trial and error the best option is the evf. I opted for the vf2 as, at the time it was supposedly good value for the dosh. My eyesight is pretty much crap, astigmatism, floaters and cataracts and for me it works a treat. As a bonus it also allows some very unusual viewing angles and can be used on other Oly camera's such as the xz-1 which I also have. As said above, it isn't cheap but, should you change camers's or add to the e-p3 it really is dosh well spent.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 3rd September 2013

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

Yes, I had that problem with the EP2, I got vf-2 attachable viewfinder which vitually solved the problem. I since changed to the E P5 and got the even more expensive viewfinder which is even better as it transfers fro the screen to the viewfinder as you raise the camera to eye level.
Old 3rd September 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhorgan View Post
My problem is that I cannot take any photos outdoors in sunlight as there is appalling reflection in the viewfinder. I have called the helpline but they have been unable to help.

This is an expensive camera and I should not have this problem.
I see.
Somehowesomeone somewhere invented a non-reflective-in-sunlight LCD screen and put it on all the expensive cameras except yours ... I can certainly understand your frustration!

Or ... nope, they all do that.

Buy a sony RX1 so the 2500 screen makes your e-P3 look decidedly cheap and you can then relax.

Two solutions exist ;
1. buy an Olympus VF-2 (or VF-3 but it's not as good) (or VF-4 but it costs even more)
2. Buy an LCD-hood, there are a few on the market and they cost very little, or make your own. If I was short-sighted I'd make mine but I prefer the viewfinders.
Old 3rd September 2013

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

VF 2 works very well but in honesty I had very few issues with the screen on my EP3 and in line with other comments when you do get glare it is problem for most cameras, and not a specific issue with the EP3, which BTW has a comparatively good screen. My use of the VF2 is more about framing and composition, especially with longer lens and smaller fields of view.
Old 3rd September 2013

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

Unfortunately this is one of the compromises in choosing a Pen-type camera rather than one with a viewfinder like the E-M5.

I use a P3 when I want a smaller, more portable, outfit than my E-M5 (and previously did the same with a Lumix GF2 and L3).

The Pen P3's LCD is certainly no worse than my GF2's was, and it can be affected by sunlight. My solutions are to:
1) Set the LCD brightness up to the maximum;
2) Use a non-reflective protective film on the LCD to minmise reflections and also protect the screen;
3) Carry an EVF when I anticipate problems.

PS: Following on from my thoughts above, perhaps that makes the new Lumix GX7 the ideal M4/3 camera as it combines the size of the Pens with a built-in viewfinder for when it's needed... but it doesn't have the visual appeal of Olympus bodies for me.

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!

Last edited by CJJE; 4th September 2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: PS added
Old 4th September 2013

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

worth noting that a XZ - 1/2 with a VFx is a solid backup to EM5 or E series and does not give much away in performance. My XZ-2 with the VF2 has become my grab camera.
Old 4th September 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glee View Post
worth noting that a XZ - 1/2 with a VFx is a solid backup to EM5 or E series and does not give much away in performance. My XZ-2 with the VF2 has become my grab camera.
The XZ-1 has become my "always with me" camera. As an emergency backup it can even RC the flash guns. Brilliant little compact, great value for money (especially if you get a "shop demo" for half price )

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...