Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts
Unhappy Jessops to go into administration?

Could be the end for Jessops

http://dpnow.com/9082.html

If you have vouchers - best check their status as soon as possible.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (9th January 2013)
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 98 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Jessops to go into administration?

I can't say I'm suprised. The market is very competetive and there are many companies offer as good a deal with better service.
I haven't used our local store for sometime not that they have got a lot to offer an Olympus user.
When I did there was an attempt to steer my buying to something they had in stock and not what I wanted.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

I'm sure we all have our anecdotes; like the time I was in our local store and the sales person couldn't answer a customer's question about memory cards (could she copy things onto a card as well as download photos from it) and things like that

We just don't value service any more - not just us, but retailers too. Nobody wants to pay for service and nobody wants to invest in providing it. The market has evolved so that the customer needs to do a lot of homework before going out and finding the cheapest price available.

In the mean time, retailers set up their own web stores which end up competing with their high street stores - and it all ends in a cannibalistic mess.

Ian

The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (9th January 2013)
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

The really big issue for me is that the growth of Jessops Jacobs etc chased a lot of small private retailers off of our high streets. Now they've gone we've got very little left.
Our local shop closed this year which is a great shame. A lot of his prices were equal to or better than WEX. The local council in their infinite wisdom kept raising the business rates and he finally decided enough was enough.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I'm sure we all have our anecdotes; like the time I was in our local store and the sales person couldn't answer a customer's question about memory cards (could she copy things onto a card as well as download photos from it) and things like that

We just don't value service any more - not just us, but retailers too. Nobody wants to pay for service and nobody wants to invest in providing it. The market has evolved so that the customer needs to do a lot of homework before going out and finding the cheapest price available.

In the mean time, retailers set up their own web stores which end up competing with their high street stores - and it all ends in a cannibalistic mess.
Ian
So right,BUT when all the high street outlets have gone where does the customer go to inspect their prospective purchase(s).

I have never understood the common approach of Suppliers having a high street shop and a Web site that undercuts the shop price. Okay so one supports the oncosts of the other,but when they fail to win the customer,then the only result is failure.

next .... HMV
next .....???
neext ....???

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

HMV is already on the way out.

Personally, I do very little shopping on the high street. Shops are actually a very recent innovation - I reckon shops as we know them are on the way out.

Ian

Old 9th January 2013

Liked 3,142 Times in 890 Posts

I suppose eventually this means that there will be a lot more goods being delivered and returned to the online retailers until the ideal purchase has been made. That can't be good for profits or the environment but I suppose it is much cheaper than financing high street shops and their staff.

Ron
Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

Liked 1,608 Times in 929 Posts

I cannot see how Mall & High St shops will survive, where there is any on-line competition.

Even little things are so easy to get on line.

A simple F-F phono skt was 3 in Maplin. I got 2 from China for 2.40 with Free P&P and they arrived in 3 days...

The W H Smiths at Lakeside is really run down and tatty looking, so likely to be the next to go...

Also you can't "Just go shopping", there's the Coffee & Cake that simply has to be had So, with fuel & food a birthday card ends up costing the best part of 20

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
...The local council in their infinite wisdom kept raising the business rates ...
Business rates can get ridiculous.
Our local petfood/birdfeed stockist has to pay a HUGE amount for his industrial unit warehouses. HUGE!
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Business rates can get ridiculous.
Our local petfood/birdfeed stockist has to pay a HUGE amount for his industrial unit warehouses. HUGE!
Shame - you'd expect him to be geeting it cheep, almost for a song.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Temple-Fry For This Useful Post:
Wee man (10th January 2013)
Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Shame - you'd expect him to be geeting it cheep, almost for a song.

Nick
Yes, chicken feed!

Seriously, this is a time when local councils should be reducing business rates rather than raising them, or at least reassessing them on the basis of ability to pay. Costa and Starbucks should still have their rates increased, of course!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th January 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts

The thought of losing such a famous and iconic name from the high street is very sad, but I'm not surprised. Last time I visited the local store was to enquire about an Olympus MFT lens, which they didn't have. The salesman then told me that Olympus was a bad choice and attempted to sell me a NEX. It's all part of the modern, arrogant attitude of retailing where what the customer wants is ignored in favour of pushing what the store wants to sell. Add to that the appalling lack of knowledge and bad advice regularly given by some (not all) Jessops staff and it becomes obvious that this was an accident waiting to happen.

Locally, I suppose, this is good news for Cameraworld in Chelmsford. Despite an unhappy experience trying to buy a particular camera from them last year, I have to say the service they provide, including product knowledge and good, unbiased advice, is light years ahead of Jessops.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 305 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
I reckon shops as we know them are on the way out.

Ian
Not me if I can bloody well help it !

My family have been retailing in Bridgend County since 1872 and I have been running my "Traditional, good old fashioned Ironmonger's ( hardware store to our US / Canadian friends ) since 1995 . We offer "proper" service, sound advice, quality products most of which are cheaper than the likes of B&Q ( Home Depot ) and a huge and diverse range, all with 'family business values'

You have got to work hard at it though if you want to succeed, also to be fair we are well known within a 20 mile radius of Bridgend as we have been around for so long and this helps. We sell all sorts of products from "Tin Baths" ( yes you can still buy them and yes they still sell though most are used for bathing a dog these days ) coal fire parts & spares, oil lamp wicks, paraffin etc etc, to plumbing, electrical, housewares, pet feeds, paints, hardware, locks, key cutting, tools, garden supplies and more.

We are known locally as THE "Aladdin's Cave" of DIY which I have to say I am proud of. I am equally proud of our heritage but also aware of the need to strike a balance between this and keeping one's 'finger on the pulse' so to speak, hence I have just revamped my website which has been quite an effort as I am so 'hands-on' in the shop. It's nothing glitzy and at the moment I'm not offering e-commerce as I don't have time to handle that properly and I would not want to mess it up and let my customers down. But it's "out there", promoting us and hopefully will develop over time, you have to be forward thinking and be prepared to work hard and 'put the hours in' too. If you are you can succeed, but yes it's not easy these days.

I don't mean to use this site as a 'plug' for my business but I would be flattered if you found the time to maybe take a look at my site and possibly "Like me" on Facebook. www.bakersdiy.co.uk ( old site is ".com" , still up but will be going soon and .com & .uk linked to the same site ... the .uk one ).

Please let me know what you think, I will be very grateful.

With regard to Jessops .... well it's no surprise really and I doubt they will be the last this year. It's such a shame that so few Independent Camera shops remain, if you have a good one near by then support it I say. Then again it doesn't have to be local, I often use Ffordes and lately Carmarthen Camera Centre. Service to the customer is "key" to success on the High Street but equally important to the success of the business is customer loyalty, look after your customer and they hopefully will look after you

Oh and BTW ..... Small is beautiful IMO ..... one store = low overheads = good prices for the customer without sacrificing the 'bottom line

Regards Simon
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Bee For This Useful Post:
Melaka (10th January 2013)
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Could be the end for Jessops

http://dpnow.com/9082.html

If you have vouchers - best check their status as soon as possible.

Ian
Channel 5 news at 6.30 said they will not be honouring any vouchers or taking any returns.
Old 9th January 2013

Liked 563 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh1960 View Post
Channel 5 news at 6.30 said they will not be honouring any vouchers or taking any returns.
I'm sorry for all the good people who will soon be without a job (and also sorry that the 100 Jessops gift voucher in my wallet is now worthless).