Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 20th March 2010
Radar

Playing with a photo tent and PS

It's been wet outside today so we've spendt most of the time inside and I've had time to play a little with my "toy"

I love my cigars and Partagas is one of my favourites. I like the smaller sizes as I don't have to spend hours smoking.

A Nintendo DS is "mandatory" in the house with kids. So I borrowed it for a while :

This was an old photo I found and played a little with it in Photoshop:
Old 20th March 2010

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Playing with a photo tent and PS

The last one has created an intriguing image, well done.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 21st March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the cigars, its a very simple but effective picture
Old 21st March 2010

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

The first 2 would make excellent stock photos, why not submit to this site that im a member of - www.sxc.hu

Of course you can also try www.istockphoto.com and make some money, but they are sooooo picky

Just remove any branding, logos etc via photoshop before submitting

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 21st March 2010
Radar

I am thinking towards stock photography and these are my first attempts. Haven't sent them to anyone, yet, but that's my plan. Most stock websites require 3-10 samples of work so I need a portfolio of stock images to apply.

istockphotography is quite picky. They pay OK and have a huge customer database but the exclusivity stuff they're doing...not for me. When I've got 10 OK photos for stock I will apply to various sites. I'm waiting for my step rings to come before I do some more serious attempts. Still playing a little with lights.
Old 21st March 2010

Yeah stick at it, I enjoy taking stock shots. Try the free sxc site it's great to get you started, you don't get paid but it's a good feeling when people download your photos and I get so many that email me to show me how they was used which makes everything worthwhile

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 22nd March 2010
Radar

I'm not giving away my photos for free except from in some causes. If a company finds my photos good enough for their commercial use I think they should pay. I spend thousands in equipment, travel, time etc to make my photos so I want something back. You don't find many other artists giving their art away from free?

Exceptions are free magazines, charity and family. If a newly started company wants to use my photos I will give a discount.
Old 22nd March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally would not support a stock agency who gives away pictures either as its de-valuing what we do. Use a well known agency, I find alamy & getty very good
Old 22nd March 2010

I do see your point, but it is hard to get into the stock photo industry with getting your photos accepted, the only reason I recommend posting your images for free on the sxc site, is so you can learn the process, as all other stock sites have a very lengthy registration process

Old 22nd March 2010
Radar

...and at the same time undermine the credibility and income potential for the professional photographers out there making this as the way of living.

I like to think of my views of this as a way of respecting the art of photography and a way to respect those who invest a little more time and money in this than I do. I'm not doing it just to feel the little joy and save the big companies some money. If the stock comapnies don't accept my photos because they are not good enough then I have to head back to the phototent making my photos better.
Old 22nd March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevednp3 View Post
I do see your point, but it is hard to get into the stock photo industry with getting your photos accepted, the only reason I recommend posting your images for free on the sxc site, is so you can learn the process, as all other stock sites have a very lengthy registration process
PM Sent Ref. Picture Agencies
Old 22nd March 2010

I dont think you see the point of the free stock site, its a professional service and is run by getty images, it is in no way meant to undermine photographers, its just a foot in the door, to learn how other stock sites work, you still have to get your images approved, before they get included on the site

But look everyones views are different and I wish you all the best