Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 26th February 2010

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts
Re: DxO Optics Pro 6

Thanks Peter. RTFM as they say I confess to only reading enough to get started.

I understand that Adobe is promoting DNG as a 'universal' digital image format and I convert all my ORFs to DNG for storage purposes. Seems a shame that one is inhibited by the file size in continuing to do so. What would be the downside to saving in TIFF?

Flickr
Old 26th February 2010

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
Thanks Peter. RTFM as they say I confess to only reading enough to get started.

I understand that Adobe is promoting DNG as a 'universal' digital image format and I convert all my ORFs to DNG for storage purposes. Seems a shame that one is inhibited by the file size in continuing to do so. What would be the downside to saving in TIFF?
Hi David
Sorry I've not got into using TIFF so can't offer anything based on experience. However I had a quick look on Wikepedia. Apparently Adobe took over the company that produced TIFF and DNG appears to be based on TIFF. Maybe another example of Adobe trying to rule the world! If you look up TIFF on wikepedia it will lead you to a comparison table of different formats which may give you some answers. My impression of DxO is that they are an extremely professional company and it may be that not allowing smaller file size DNG outputs from DxO Pro suggests that they percieve some shortcoming in DNG. Only me guessing.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 26th February 2010

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
What would be the downside to saving in TIFF?
Answer - If you want to work in 16 bit then files are larger still

I am now trying Scenario 3 from Working with DxO Optics Pro 6 And Adobe Lightroom 2 i.e. opening LR catalog with DxO OP, selecting those I want to process and saving in DNG to a separate folder for subsequent finishing in PS.

Does not seem to like LR3 Beta catalog

What workflow are you guys that have bought the product using?

Flickr