Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 5th November 2009
Oakleigh Photography

Recommend a computer please

My computer has come to its end and have to get a new one fairly quickly. Would someone recommend a good computer for photo editing please. It is used by my children for school work also

thanks

John
Old 5th November 2009
Administrator

Liked 546 Times in 294 Posts
Re: Recommend a computer please

The trouble is that there are so many many answers to this question and you need to think a little more about all the software you are using in order to decide

Here are a few pointers
  1. Do you want to do heavweight photo editing using Photoshop - if not 2Gb will be fine - if so lots of memory will be needed so get 4Gb or if REALLY heavyweight consider a 64 bit version of Windows
  2. How many pictures do you take and want to store - this will determine hard drive size. External disks are cheap now and are the best way of backing up, but internall are still generally faster - consider what you would fill up in 3-5 years
  3. You can't have too many USB ports
  4. If you want to calibrate your monitor you will need to be thinking of a decent graphics card
  5. DON'T get VISTA now Windows 7 is out. Windows 7 seems so much better already
When it comes to make and mode DONT think any big name (Dell, HP, Toshiba etc) makes ANY difference - all of these big names biy components on the open market and often fit differnt quality to the machines they sell to the home market than they use in Business computers
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 5th November 2009
mike_j

You could go for one of these

Old 5th November 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Recommend a computer please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_j View Post
You could go for one of these

Wow! A computer that actually does something usefull!
Old 5th November 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Great! I want one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EH1 View Post
Wow! A computer that actually does something usefull!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site

Last edited by StephenL; 5th November 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 5th November 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

John,
If your keyboard, mouse and display are all acceptable to you as is I'd recommend you look on the PCWorld online site in the clearance page. You can normally pick up a high spec known brand base unit only with Vista Premium for about £250. Just check to see if it's refurbished or end of line. Though either way you still get a years guarantee.
Old 5th November 2009

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

Be brave and courageous and shun Windows and go for a Mac and see a lot of your problems get left behind.

Take a look at the iMac range (all of which can run windows) as well as the OSx

With OSx
There are many Office type products ranging from Microsoft Office, the Apple iWork product to the free Open Office products.

As for photo editting and storage iPhoto comes included in the computer along with the rest if the iLife products eg GarageBand for music creation, iMoview for movie editing and iDVD for creating DVDs.

The Macs tend to last longer and have a better resale value - ie they have one unlike PCs.

If you look around you can get ex Dem models for several £100 off list price and also get full warranties as well.

I made the move 5 years ago and have not regretted the move and that is after working in the computer industry since the 60s and also publishing pc application software.
Old 5th November 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

I am interested in this also. (I started work in IT in the late 70s)
I have always wondered what spec Mac compares with a PC of, say, quad core processor with 8Gb ram and 512 Mb video card. I understand that the figures will be different - but how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Be brave and courageous and shun Windows and go for a Mac and see a lot of your problems get left behind.

My Flickr site
Old 5th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,756 Times in 792 Posts

I feel the need to balance the argument here... I have been using Windows 7 for almost two weeks and it's a significant improvement over Vista, although Vista had already matured into a stable and effective OS in its own right.

Windows 7 also seems more stable than the latest Mac OS, Snow Leopard. There is much wider software and hardware support for Windows. If you need the caché trademark Apple stle, then so be it, but you will almost certainly pay more to go down the Mac route.

I don't believe there are any user interface advantages one way or the other, though a few users I know who use both complain that the Mac Finder is not as good as Windows Explorer.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com

Last edited by Ian; 6th November 2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Windows 7 - not Vista! d'OH!
Old 5th November 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I feel the need to balance the argument here... I have been using Windows Vista for almost two weeks and it's a significant improvement over Vista, although Vista had already matured into a stable and effective OS in its own right.

Windows 7 also seems more stable than the latest Mac OS, Snow Leopard. There is much wider software and hardware support for Windows. If you need the caché trademark Apple stle, then so be it, but you will almost certainly pay more to go down the Mac route.

I don't believe there are any user interface advantages one way or the other, though a few users I know who use both complain that the Mac Finder is not as good as Windows Explorer.

Ian
OT - Ian, please check your PM's ta.

Old 5th November 2009
donmcmahan

If you love sorting out problems, enjoy talking about the latest trojan to threaten life as you know it. if registry cleaning sounds like a perfect rainy afternoon activity by all means get a windows machine.
Old 5th November 2009

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

If you are content to pay a 15% price premium and throw out all your software investment then buy a Mac. Otherwise do as the other 93% of the world population does and buy a Windows PC.

Flickr
Old 5th November 2009

Liked 68 Times in 37 Posts

On a less facetious note.

1. Buy a brand that is going to be in business next year.
2. 4GB of RAM
3. Decent graphics card, does not have to be a screaming games playing card but don't rely on built-in graphics. Pay at least £50 for a proper card with at least 256MB of its own dedicated memory.
4. Buy the best monitor you can afford.
5. Buy monitor calibration kit.

Flickr
Old 5th November 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Have a look at the clearance section of Dell.

My Flickr site
Old 5th November 2009

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

I do not agree with some of Ian's comments

Stability of Snow Leopard - I have been running it continuously on my Macbook Pro (a laptop) since it came out in late August, it was very significantly used while I was travelling in the South West.
The machine was running Aperture - Apple's rather nice rival to Lightroom, PS CS3, Firefox, Thunderbird. Plus the odd dip into MS Office 2004.

So as far as stability is concerned it has been a no problem experience.

Because of my computer backgroound I normally do not move onto a new version of an OS until the third fix pack is issued - however I broke my rule for the laptop and Snow Leopard to see how it worked. However for the Mac Pro (my big main machine) it is waiting for fix pack 2 of Snow Leopard to arrive.

Hardware cost - I have seen price comparisons of a tier 1 PC compared with a Mac and the Mac proved to be better value.

Used Macs do command a better price, I sold a 4 year old Mac G5 PowerPc for £600 early this year. 3 to 4 year old Mac laptops sell for £200 to £400.

Applications - range of - take a look at

http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

to see the range of apps available.

Finder - A very useful feature in icon view is the ability to see a miniaturised version of the document when trying to find a document that you can remember the shape of but not the title or keywords.

Preview – perhaps one of the most under utilised applications that come with OSX – it can view most word processor formats, image files , run slide shows, allow very basic image editing.

Cache trademark Apple style – I am far from being a follower of style I go for function and useability – that is why I run an Olympus camera and not a stylish camera.

I could run on about the hardware physical design – but I will not at the moment. <g>