Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 21st January 2008
Napper

Fliss Portrait

First attempt at close up potrait style photography. Comments please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1017131change black1.jpg (95.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 21st January 2008
OlyFlyer

Re: Fliss Portrait

First I must say, I am not a pro photographer, just a guy with 37 years of SLR experience, so the experts may not agree with me.

Sorry to say, but to me it is an OK image. Not a good one nor a bad one. My taste may be different from others, but I prefer when the model is looking at me, not dreaming away, looking out of the image, to the side. I would also like to see more of those beautiful eyes and her nice face, which means that unless it is intended for a hair style portrait, I would like to comb her hair to show more of her eyes and face.

The background is, I think not good at all. It seems like the black background is fixed at PP, the effects of Magick stick shows through already at this low size magnification. I would get a back drop of some kind, for example a large bed sheet. It would also cause some structure in the background, not flat as this one.

I think the light could also be improved if you had a window on one side, or if the flash was moved from the camera to the side and an umbrella was used. Alternatively if you have used more than one flash, or proper strobes. As it is, the light is flat, too flat for my taste. I would like to see more depth in the image.

I have also problems in finding the focus point. It seems that the image is a bit out of focus or there is a camera shake. I don't know if you had IS on or off and if this is hand held or tripod photo. For me, hand holding at that focal length and shutter speed is very difficult, if I want really sharp images without camera shake, I have to use at least 2x 1/focal length.

I am sorry, maybe I am too hard on you. I hope somebody else will add something and correct me if my observations are wrong.
Old 21st January 2008

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Napper

Have to agree with Oly, overall the lighting is flat and the background doesn't help. I wonder if you shifted the whole image over to the right of the frame, even maybe crop some of the hair it would work better, that way she would be looking across the frame rather than out of it! Personally I don't mind not having eye contact.

Cheers

Dave
Old 21st January 2008
E-P1 fan

Napper, nice portrait but the background doesn't do much for the image.

Anyway to be positive - I love the attitude of the head and the light on the hair and skin. I reckon if she'd just looked towards the camera, or looked down - with her eyes only - it might enhance an already lovely pose.

Fantastic first attempt - well done
Old 21st January 2008

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

It looks like the protrait has been selected and cut out from a different picture as the edges look a little unnatural. If this is the case try a different selection method e.g. using channels to create a mask.
Old 11th February 2008
Hiding_Pup

Agree, in the main part with some of the above comments, regarding the post-processing which is a little ham-fisted for my taste. If you have a couple of flashes, you can actually get this effect in-camera: the flashes make the subject so bright, but you expose for that brightness, at which point all ambient light becomes underexposed and black.

Alex Majoli is a master of this technique: check out his New York Marathon pictures, for instance, on the Magnum in Motion website:

http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essays/marathon06.aspx
Old 11th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd be happy enough if I'd taken a picture like this of our daughter, she usually puts her hands in front of her face.
Old 11th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
I'd be happy enough if I'd taken a picture like this of our daughter, she usually puts her hands in front of her face.
My youngest will not have his picture taken, we have photo's of him when he was younger and he is allways moaning about them being on display.