Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 9th May 2009

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
OM Exposure Compensation

Having just tried my 50mm f1.8 OM lens on my E500, I find a bit of a problem with the exposure. I have to compensate by minus 1/3 stop for each stop decrease in aperture. Starting with -.3 stop at f1.8, I am at -2.3 stops by f16to maintain the same image brightness on the LCD screen on playback.
I used aperture priority and centre weighted metering.

Is this normal and will I have to do it with any other lenses I acquire?
Old 9th May 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: OM Exposure Compensation

My 50mm f1.8 does the same thing. I have read on other forums that this is just the nature of the lens. Seems weird that the more you stop it down the brighter the picture gets. Go figure.
Old 10th May 2009

Liked 1,339 Times in 507 Posts

I am tempted to say "beware the lcd screen..." because I think it could be misleading in this case.

I sometimes compensate for some of the legacy lenses I have tried, but never by anything like 2 stops!

The acid test is to shoot a range of images using aperture priority and no compensation at all the different f stops, then look at the files on the computer and see if they need compensation :-)

Its quite common for my wide aperture legacy lenses to produce dark images because they let image light into the camera all over the place (compared to the 4/3 sensor) so the meter thinks its a rather bright day.

Just my 2p :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 10th May 2009

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
I am tempted to say "beware the lcd screen..." because I think it could be misleading in this case.

I sometimes compensate for some of the legacy lenses I have tried, but never by anything like 2 stops!

The acid test is to shoot a range of images using aperture priority and no compensation at all the different f stops, then look at the files on the computer and see if they need compensation :-)

Its quite common for my wide aperture legacy lenses to produce dark images because they let image light into the camera all over the place (compared to the 4/3 sensor) so the meter thinks its a rather bright day.

Just my 2p :-)

Pete

Tried what you suggested. Same results on my PC. From -0.3 to -2.3 stops compensation still needed.
With spot metering it is worse from -1.0 wide open to +3.0 at f16. Evaluative metering seems to work best with a variation of only one full stop from zero compensation at f1.8 to +1.0 at f16. I'll stick with evaluative metering as it seems more forgiving.