Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th August 2019
Stock Shooter

Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Lifes Milestones. . .

Funny how officialdom likes to remind you every now and then that the know about you.

When I got to my 65th birthday I got a letter from Visa to tell me that my free life assurance, in the princely sum of 2,500 was no longer be available to me.

Now something new:

I have just received a letter, sent from Belfast, concerning my OA pension. It informs me that next month, when I reach to age of 80, I will be entitled to an "Age Addition" of 0.25p per week.

It then goes on to explain that if I think this decision is wrong I may contact them by telephone or in writing and explain why. It then runs on for a couple more pages about the possibility of a Mandatory Reconsideration. . .

How could such a decision be wrong? All I can think of so far is that the decimal point could do with being moved at least two places to the right. . .

In view of the poll that we had a while ago that showed quite a lot of people here in this age group, I wondered if anyone had contested this. . .

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Lifes Milestones. . .

Hi Peter. I have yet to reach the age where I receive such a generous and welcome increase to my State Pension and have to reconsider my purchasing power

I would imagine the only reason anyone would contest the increase would be if their age was not correct. Surely it must cost HM Government more in admin fees than the paltry sum of 25 pence per week allowed

Jax
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (18th August 2019)
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 1,608 Times in 791 Posts

Talk about bureaucracy being out of touch. The administration cost of this hugely generous gift is ridiculous. Don't spend it all at once.

My Flickr
Old 19th August 2019
Stock Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Hi Peter. I have yet to reach the age where I receive such a generous and welcome increase to my State Pension and have to reconsider my purchasing power

I would imagine the only reason anyone would contest the increase would be if their age was not correct. Surely it must cost HM Government more in admin fees than the paltry sum of 25 pence per week allowed

Jax
You might have something there. . .

If I was really 82 I could claim 104 weeks back pay or 26. Probably still not worth the bother. . .

Old 20th August 2019

Liked 2,411 Times in 1,586 Posts

On a slightly different topic we have been trying to reason with East Cheshire County Council over the matter of parking permits.

To explain, our daughter is starting an eleven month residentiary work placement at a veterinary practice in Macclesfield, living in a flat above the shop so to speak. There is no car park at the practice so she applied to ECCC for a twelve-month residents' parking permit in the street outside at a cost of 60. You would think that would be a simple enough request but ECCC want to see copies of a V5C and insurance documents showing the name of the property in that street even though our daughter had already provided copies of her Placement Contract.

However, DVLA advise that vehicles must be registered to the keeper's permanent place of residence and say that it is unlawful to register a private vehicle to a place of work unless it is a company vehicle.

ECCC now concede that the DVLA's advice is correct and cannot be overridden, but say 'we cannot tick these particular boxes unless we see the requested documents'. They have now directed our daughter to a public car park some distance away which allows overnight parking - with an annual charge of around 700!

I thought we paid these people to work on our behalf, not to make life unnecessarily difficult.

There are dire warnings of punitive charges for unlawful parking. I have suggested that perhaps she should drive a flat bed Transit covered in chrome and with scrap metal on the back as these seem to be exempt from road traffic laws.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 20th August 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
On a slightly different topic we have been trying to reason with East Cheshire County Council over the matter of parking permits.

To explain, our daughter is starting an eleven month residentiary work placement at a veterinary practice in Macclesfield, living in a flat above the shop so to speak. There is no car park at the practice so she applied to ECCC for a twelve-month residents' parking permit in the street outside at a cost of 60. You would think that would be a simple enough request but ECCC want to see copies of a V5C and insurance documents showing the name of the property in that street even though our daughter had already provided copies of her Placement Contract.

However, DVLA advise that vehicles must be registered to the keeper's permanent place of residence and say that it is unlawful to register a private vehicle to a place of work unless it is a company vehicle.

ECCC now concede that the DVLA's advice is correct and cannot be overridden, but say 'we cannot tick these particular boxes unless we see the requested documents'. They have now directed our daughter to a public car park some distance away which allows overnight parking - with an annual charge of around 700!

I thought we paid these people to work on our behalf, not to make life unnecessarily difficult.

There are dire warnings of punitive charges for unlawful parking. I have suggested that perhaps she should drive a flat bed Transit covered in chrome and with scrap metal on the back as these seem to be exempt from road traffic laws.
It never ceases to amaze me how the policy makers and jobsworths charged with enforcing these rules combine so seamlessly to create utter havoc and confusion, to the point where it becomes almost impossible to resolve a simple, straightforward situation.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (20th August 2019), Naughty Nigel (20th August 2019)
Old 20th August 2019

Liked 1,608 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:

I live fairly close to Macclesfield and recently fell foul of the friendly Cheshire East Councils traffic warden in the nearby town of Congleton.
I was parked outside a small DIY shop behind the single yellow lines so not blocking the carriageway with no part of the car over the lines, as most people who use the shop do all the time. When I came out with my tin of paint the jobsworth traffic warden insisted that I was breaking the law as the yellow lines apply to all the road and pavement right up to the walls including the pavements either side. On looking this up in the highway code it is, of course, illegal to park on a single yellow line and block the carriageway but nowhere does it say you can't park behind the line. Apparently, it's down to individual councils to interpret the law.

I told the warden to get himself a chair as he will make a fortune charging all the shops customers and he said I could appeal.
The shop owner was surprised as well.

My Flickr
Jax (20th August 2019), Naughty Nigel (20th August 2019)
Old 20th August 2019

Liked 2,411 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how the policy makers and jobsworths charged with enforcing these rules combine so seamlessly to create utter havoc and confusion, to the point where it becomes almost impossible to resolve a simple, straightforward situation.
I wonder whether they receive special training?

When I spoke to one of the automatons on the phone I asked him whether he registered his own car at the council offices to use the car park there. He replied 'well I don't sleep here do I?' I said I couldn't possibly comment.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Jax (20th August 2019), Zuiko (20th August 2019)
Old 20th August 2019
Stock Shooter

Quote:

I wondered if it might be possible to rent a garage or parking space in Macclesfield, but a quick look suggested that the 700 would be a cheaper option.

Then I wondered if it might be possible to transfer the ownership of the car to the vet.

I have thought again about that and held back after remembering what I was told by Mr Wong, owner of a Chinese restaurant in Redcar. It was a few years ago now, but he does not live on the premises and parks his car on his own private yard behind the shop.

He had just been told that the RCBC, would be charging the business 5000 per year per parking space. :

Old 21st August 2019

Liked 3,329 Times in 1,795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjphoto59 View Post
Funny how officialdom likes to remind you every now and then that the know about you.

When I got to my 65th birthday I got a letter from Visa to tell me that my free life assurance, in the princely sum of 2,500 was no longer be available to me.
It's just possible that the amount covered the average monthly balance for cardholders.

Harold
Old 21st August 2019

Liked 445 Times in 215 Posts

Nigel,

I've just read through the document online from ECCC and it does state all of what you say..however on item No 28 it states permits for churches, Charities etc may be considered on their individual merits ...I am assuming that your daughter is still a student?? Try that as surely she would come under an etc. Don't you just hate the 'tick Box Brigade' of todays society or as TBB's as I refer to them as.

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Naughty Nigel (21st August 2019)
Old 21st August 2019

Liked 553 Times in 285 Posts

The 'Tick Box' way was created so that no one had to think. Either the right boxes were ticked or they weren't. A monkey could now do the job (and probably does in many cases).

However, the world is full of grey areas, there are reasons why some boxes are ticked or not ticked but nobody wants to know, listen, understand or actually get off their ar$es and try to help.

Sorry, rant over
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith-369 For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (21st August 2019)
Naughty Nigel (21st August 2019), Zuiko (21st August 2019)
Old 21st August 2019

Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts

The whole point of the tick boxing in local government is to try and save money, avoiding even the food budget for the monkey. Everything is looking to be scripted and skilled staff are being downgraded and expected to do stuff that wasn’t previously in their remit. Older skilled staff are being early retired and with them goes years of practical experience.
Old 21st August 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts

Saw a brilliant example of officialdom today whilst visiting my sister. The double yellow lines on her road had been smartly repainted with loving care - too bad that the road surface, which is pitted with potholes and has been breaking up for years, remains untouched. I suppose it's all a matter of priorities.....

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 21st August 2019

Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts

Main road at the end of our road was lovingly resurfaced a couple of weeks ago and today the water board are digging it up again. Idiots, uncoordinated idiots. Shameful.
Zuiko (21st August 2019)