Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 23rd December 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Storage of Camera equipment

In relation to lenses in particular, but not uniquely, how do you store your camera equipment when not in use?
Fungus seems to have an affinity for optical glass (inorganic and organic chemistry mixing like the best of chums) when the temperature and humidity are conducive.
Anyone use a humidity controlled dry cabinet? Or do you just rely on silica gel, or possibly just hope for good fortune?

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
drmarkf (23rd December 2017)
Old 23rd December 2017
Administrator

Liked 546 Times in 294 Posts
Re: Storage of Camera equipment

Mine is on the shelves in my "den" which is where my PC is so I visit every day and would spot any obvious damp problems

Nothing else and I have not had a problem in the 15 years we have lived here or the 10 years in our last hour

Back in my old student flat the mice chewing on things was an even bigger problem with the damp and plastic storage boxes were the order of the day and when I spotted (and smelt) mice droppings the poison and traps used to come out fast

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Ricoh (23rd December 2017)
Old 23rd December 2017

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

I have a wooden cupboard on the landing, which is a dry spot some distance away from the main sources of steam in the house - kitchen and bathrooms/showers. I've used this for 20+ years (and several of my vintage lenses have been in there throughout). I've never noticed any fungus issues doing that.

I don't do anything special while the kit is in the cupboard, although if I've been out in rain with any kit I always wipe it all over with a microfibre cloth and then open it up as far as possible (i.e. rack out focus and zoom, open body flaps and rear screen etc) for 24h in a warm room before putting it back in the cupboard.

I'm also careful when bringing gear in to the house/cafe/pub from cold conditions to keep it in in my closed gear bag or wrap it in a plastic bag until it has warned up (a couple of hours, usually).

If it's cold outside when I return to base and I need to charge batteries right away, I'll take them out of the camera body and/or bag while still outside and stick them in a trouser pocket for half an hour before charging.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Ricoh (23rd December 2017)
Old 24th December 2017

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

I store my PRO lenses in a pelivcase under the bed, apart from the 12-40 which is usually on the camera, stored in my den together with iMac, tripods and other lenses, filesETC.
Old 24th December 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I store my PRO lenses in a pelivcase under the bed, apart from the 12-40 which is usually on the camera, stored in my den together with iMac, tripods and other lenses, filesETC.
Thanks Dave.
Reading the brief on these, it appears the Pelivcase is waterproof to IP67 - water ingress - so I'm thinking if I stuff the case with Silica Gel the camera kit should remain reasonably dry and less susceptible to mold or fungal growth.

But hang on... air flow is another key ingredient. In military enclosures for stuff you don't want to deteriorate over a a period of a few decades, possibly longer, it is common to have packaging that is both desiccated and allows breathing through the same device. Expensive obviously.

on flickr
Old 28th December 2017

Liked 1,684 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Thanks Dave.
Reading the brief on these, it appears the Pelivcase is waterproof to IP67 - water ingress - so I'm thinking if I stuff the case with Silica Gel the camera kit should remain reasonably dry and less susceptible to mold or fungal growth.
I store my lenses in one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMP-outdoor.../dp/B001N2MJ44

It's similar to a Peli case.

I use 6 of these in the case, and periodically inspect them and regenerate if necessary:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silica-Ge....c100506.m3226

Quote:
But hang on... air flow is another key ingredient. In military enclosures for stuff you don't want to deteriorate over a a period of a few decades, possibly longer, it is common to have packaging that is both desiccated and allows breathing through the same device. Expensive obviously.
I worked in a factory producing helicopter gas turbine engines. The engines were dispatched in heavy PVC environmentally sealed bags, packed with silica gel 'bandoliers'. The amount of silica gel probably was equivalent to about a quarter the weight of the engine. You need a lot!

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (28th December 2017)
Old 1st January 2018

Liked 702 Times in 372 Posts

Mine are in 2 electric dry box and 1 metal chemical dry box. We have humidity levels of over 75% all round the year and temperatures of over 28 deg C. Lenses are known to develop fungus within a week in the camera bag.

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu-by-u For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (1st January 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
cinders (1st January 2018), Jim Ford (1st January 2018)