Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 23rd October 2015

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts
My E-M1 is missing - Olympus Service Plus

I returned my E-M1 to Olympus last week as I'd noticed that one of the camera strap lugs had loosened.

Olympus Service Plus were very efficient and helpful, they arranged for the camera to be collected by DHL on Thursday and confirmed that the camera had been received by their Lisbon Repair Facility on Friday.

Having heard nothing further, I emailed Olympus this morning asking if they could advise when my camera was likely to be despatched and if they could provide a tracking number in order that I could ensure I would be home to take delivery.

I received a very prompt reply advising that my camera had been delivered this morning and giving me the name of the person who had signed for it, sadly this was not my name nor that of any of my neighbours.

I immediately emailed Olympus advising them that I had not received my camera and followed this up with a 'phone call.

Fortunately, I was put in contact with the chap who had arranged the camera's collection and who had sent me the email this morning.

Having advised him that I had not received my E-M1 he is currently in the process of investigating to where and who it was actually sent and where it currently is.

I'm awaiting a call from Olympus and hopefully the return of my E-M1, I doubt I'll have it for this weekend though.

As you can probably imagine, I'm more than slightly concerned that my E-M1 appears to have been lost.

I'll keep you posted as to how this works out.

Dave
Old 23rd October 2015

Re: My E-M1 is missing - Olympus Service Plus

Update 1:

Olympus have just called.

It would appear that my E-M1 was sent to someone else by the repair facility.

Olympus have now traced it and have arranged for it to be returned to them in Portugal.

They have advised that they will have it checked over again and will then arrange for it to be returned to me.

I'll keep you posted.

Dave
Old 23rd October 2015

Liked 733 Times in 490 Posts

Eeek, not good news. Here's hoping they really have found it and it gets back to you soon. Fingers crossed for you.

John
The Following User Liked This Post:
DavyG (23rd October 2015)
Old 23rd October 2015

Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts

Worst case scenario they may have to replace it with a brand new one :-)

Hope everything works out for you though im sure Olympus will sort it.
Old 23rd October 2015

Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,450 Posts
Liked 1,448 Times in 925 Posts

Good luck. At least they are aware of the issue and are doing their best to sort it out.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 23rd October 2015

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts

Phew, it's always a bit of a worry especially as we have to rely on a fairly non-reassuring lack of updates.
It would be good if Olympus Service Plus sent an email confirming receipt and then an email containing a Tracking Number and Delivery Date when they have completed the repairs, as this means that all parties can keep an eye on progress and when to be around for the delivery. I have my E-M1 away for repairs at the moment and at least the DHL delivery driver knows where to deliver to it back to!
Hope you get yours back soon
Regards Chris

An update: I gather from another E-M1 user that DHL send an email to confirm delivery date of a Service Plus camera. So that is promising, and I'll hopefully find out for myself next week!
The Following User Says Thank You to catkins For This Useful Post:
Old 23rd October 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Phew, it's always a bit of a worry especially as we have to rely on a fairly non-reassuring lack of updates.
It would be good if Olympus Service Plus sent an email confirming receipt and then an email containing a Tracking Number and Delivery Date when they have completed the repairs, as this means that all parties can keep an eye on progress and when to be around for the delivery. I have my E-M1 away for repairs at the moment and at least the DHL delivery driver knows where to deliver to it back to!
Hope you get yours back soon
Regards Chris

An update: I gather from another E-M1 user that DHL send an email to confirm delivery date of a Service Plus camera. So that is promising, and I'll hopefully find out for myself next week!
Thanks Chris,

If you sent your E-M1 through DHL, look at your copy of the label, near the barcode it should say Waybill with a number.

If you go to the DHL tracking website, enter the Waybill number and it should show you the tracking details, when it reached the Lisbon repair facility and who signed for it.

I had also read that DHL would send an email to confirm the return delivery date of a Service Plus camera, given that my E-M1 had been gone for seven working days and I had not received such an email, I decided to contact Olympus.

At least they have admitted that it was their error in despatching it to the wrong address/person, I do wonder what would have happened had I not contacted them.

As others have mentioned, I expect that the worst case scenario would be that, if they are unable to recover my camera, they will replace it however, it now seems that I will end up being without my E-M1 for at least two weeks, this is not a good result for what is supposed to be a three day turnaround repair service.

The one thing I will say is that the Olympus rep I've dealt with since the initial repair request has been very helpful and professional.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
catkins (23rd October 2015)
Old 28th October 2015

Update 2:

Having heard nothing further from Olympus, I emailed them yesterday afternoon asking for an update.

I was informed that they had arranged collection of my E-M1 today from the person who now had it in their possession and that it would be returned to Lisbon where it would go through a quality control check again.

I'm a little disappointed that it's taken five days since Olympus discovered their error to have the camera collected.

Olympus have now advised that the camera should be returned to me in four working days, if this is actually the case it will mean that a three day return for repairs will have taken three weeks.

I'll continue to update the thread as things progress.

Dave
Old 28th October 2015

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

Watching with interest hope all goes well, and just as important that it is sorted properly for you. Maybe Olympus will put a little something in the box as a sorry for delay gesture.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
DavyG (29th October 2015)
Old 28th October 2015
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Watching with interest hope all goes well, and just as important that it is sorted properly for you. Maybe Olympus will put a little something in the box as a sorry for delay gesture.
An Olympus lens cloth

Paul
The Following Users Liked This Post:
DavyG (29th October 2015), Wee man (29th October 2015)
Old 28th October 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

My personal opinion is that they should send you a new one, then we would be discussing excellent service instead of a rather shabby experience.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 28th October 2015

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

And a free lens cloth?

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 28th October 2015

I'll be happy to get my E-M1 back.

Thanks for suggestions that Olympus may make some sort of gesture for the errors they have made sadly, at the moment I have the impression that the only gesture likely to be made would involve two fingers.

It would seem that the only person driving the return of my camera is myself, I suspect that if I did not continue to chase this that it would be forgotten about, my faith in Olympus's service has been severely dented.

I'll continue to update as this progresses.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
Wee man (28th October 2015)
Old 28th October 2015
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
I'll be happy to get my E-M1 back.

Thanks for suggestions that Olympus may make some sort of gesture for the errors they have made sadly, at the moment I have the impression that the only gesture likely to be made would involve two fingers.

It would seem that the only person driving the return of my camera is myself, I suspect that if I did not continue to chase this that it would be forgotten about, my faith in Olympus's service has been severely dented.

I'll continue to update as this progresses.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave
Olympus - see what happens when you give poor service? This forum acts like a shop window for your brand, wouldn't you rather have happy customers writing glowing reports about you? A shame, because your cameras are rather good.......

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 28th October 2015

Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
An Olympus lens cloth

Paul
Yeah, I got one of these. Made it all worthwhile.........

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac, Manfrotto, and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
The Following Users Liked This Post:
DavyG (29th October 2015), Wee man (29th October 2015)