Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 16th July 2013

Liked 1,691 Times in 1,089 Posts
Re: Who uses & like Windows 8?

My preference is for a Linux distribution - currently Xubuntu. Because I use Photoshop I need to endure a Microsoft product (yeah - Micro=small, soft=flaccid. Tells you as much as you need to know about MS!).

Until recently I was using Windows XP for PS, but have 'upgraded' to Windows 7. I must say that so far it seems very 'Fischer Price' and 'Fur coat and no knickers' compared to Linux!

Jim
Old 16th July 2013

Liked 938 Times in 595 Posts

In my opinion Windows reached its peak in terms of useability with XP. I really hate the Windows 7 File Explorer, I don't know it it's just my system but when I want to expand a folder containing subfolders in the file tree it jumps to a different folder altogether afterwards, and if you want to find out the details of media files like mp3 etc you have to open the properties window. And don't start me on "libraries"! There are things I do like about Win7 but file handling ain't one of them. I found something called "Cubic Explorer" which is better but has its own set of annoying bugs. Each incarnation of Windows seems to move the user further away from the nuts and bolts of the machine making maintenance for the average home computer user more difficult. I'm not planning on a move to Win8.

Apologies to the OP, that's probably not very helpful
Old 16th July 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

When I used to be an IT pro (30 years before the mast!) I too used to enjoy tinkering with the various incarnations of Windows, trying to make it better, faster, more stable.

Now I'm retired I just want something which works. Win 8 works. I've never had a crash. Mind you, Win 7 was very nearly as reliable. File explorer works and I don't bother with the tiles (as I've stated before) - they are an option, not compulsory. It starts up and shuts down quickly (I only do this when an update prompts for a restart), otherwise it kips and awakens quickly.

Maybe it's not designed to be "tinkered" with. That's perhaps a good thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 16th July 2013

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
In my opinion Windows reached its peak in terms of useability with XP. I really hate the Windows 7 File Explorer, I don't know it it's just my system but when I want to expand a folder containing subfolders in the file tree it jumps to a different folder altogether afterwards
Please don't take this the wrong way but this does sound like user error!

Quote:
and if you want to find out the details of media files like mp3 etc you have to open the properties window.
Have you turned off the Details Pane? (Organize > Layouts > Details Pane).

Quote:
And don't start me on "libraries"!
Why not? They're really useful when you have similar files spread across multiple drives, and they're much easier to move than the dedicated "My ****" folders on XP.

Quote:
Each incarnation of Windows seems to move the user further away from the nuts and bolts of the machine making maintenance for the average home computer user more difficult. I'm not planning on a move to Win8.
Surely protecting the average home user from the nuts and bolts of a machine means less maintenance!
Old 16th July 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

I haven't had much time using Windows 8 but Julia's aunt needed a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and it was down to me to source it and set it up. Most new Windows laptops now come with Win 8 as standard. I had few problems working with it, but without being big-headed I am probably more tecchie than average

I can see why many people would be confused or annoyed with Windows 9 because it has two massively different front-ends - the first being the tiled 'Metro' interface that is optimised for touch and the second being the old desktop UI, although that has had a makeover that is not entirely successful (removal of the start button, for a start).

Microsoft should have retained the start button/menus and provided a priority option for uses to choose between the desktop and the Metro interfaces as the default, not forcing Metro on everyone.

But I do believe that under the hood there are some very significant improvements (I found printer driver plug and play almost magically good, the whole system is very solid and as someone else commented the sleep wake responsiveness is excellent.

Windows 8.1 will fix a lot of things.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 16th July 2013

Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,453 Posts
Liked 1,449 Times in 926 Posts

I'm with Otto. The XP file explorer is the pinancle of file management. From windows 7 onwards they tried to hide the file system and eveything is worked throught libraries. About the only thing they improved was calling volume eject/dismount from the file management window (if you managed to find it and it ran up).
Old 16th July 2013

Liked 156 Times in 78 Posts

I have Windows 8 on PC and laptop. I find some of the apps very useful, especially the music app - lets you stream music for free. I also find the tiles useful for finding/opening programs, changing settings etc. Generally I have to say I like Windows 8.

I have had a few compatibility problems with some programs though. I downloaded a trial version of Nik software but Silver Efex Pro refuses to work on either PC or laptop.

I also had trouble with Sky Go on the PC. Rang Sky to be told that Windows 8 isn't supported on Sky Go. They actually asked me if I had access to a computer running Windows 7 or XP. Er, no, I've upgraded both my computers to Win8. Well then, sorry we can't help. Great! (There are work-arounds and it does work with a little tweaking but still not happy with Sky.) Not that that affects you in Australia, Ross.

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 16th July 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadus View Post
I have Windows 8 on PC and laptop. I find some of the apps very useful, especially the music app - lets you stream music for free. I also find the tiles useful for finding/opening programs, changing settings etc. Generally I have to say I like Windows 8.

I have had a few compatibility problems with some programs though. I downloaded a trial version of Nik software but Silver Efex Pro refuses to work on either PC or laptop.

I also had trouble with Sky Go on the PC. Rang Sky to be told that Windows 8 isn't supported on Sky Go. They actually asked me if I had access to a computer running Windows 7 or XP. Er, no, I've upgraded both my computers to Win8. Well then, sorry we can't help. Great! (There are work-arounds and it does work with a little tweaking but still not happy with Sky.) Not that that affects you in Australia, Ross.
Then the Sky and Nik Efex software is badly written...

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 16th July 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

I have the full Nik software suite on my Win8 machine and it run perfectly, as does everything.

My Flickr site
Old 16th July 2013

@timg - I assure you it's not user error, I've been using Windows since v2.0 . The details pane is open but it doesn't tell me the date and size of the file, though you may legitimately ask why I'd want to know those - well sometimes it's useful. I find libraries are just a nuisance and get in the way. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a way of getting rid of them, or at least removing them from Explorer's view. Ever since Windows 95 the file structure has remained more or less consistent, with every user's files under the appropriate "My Documents" folder. Having files appear both in their native folders and in a library is confusing, to me at least. I do have multiple drives but I know what's on each of them and prefer to keep them separate from one another .
Old 16th July 2013

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts

I persevered with 8 on my new laptop for 5 months but just couldn't take it any longer. Blissful Win 7 64 bit is now installed and I couldn't be happier.

I don't want tiles. I do want a start button. I don't want a clock springing up every time I go near the right hand side of the touchpad. I do want to decide which interface I boot into. I don't want to be looking at a screen full of tiles every time I inadvertently press the wrong key. It's fast and reliable, but the list of annoyances is endless..... If this wasn't shipped on new systems it would be an epic fail for Microsoft......
Old 17th July 2013

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,198 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
In my opinion Windows reached its peak in terms of useability with XP. I really hate the Windows 7 File Explorer, I don't know it it's just my system but when I want to expand a folder containing subfolders in the file tree it jumps to a different folder altogether afterwards, and if you want to find out the details of media files like mp3 etc you have to open the properties window. And don't start me on "libraries"! There are things I do like about Win7 but file handling ain't one of them. I found something called "Cubic Explorer" which is better but has its own set of annoying bugs. Each incarnation of Windows seems to move the user further away from the nuts and bolts of the machine making maintenance for the average home computer user more difficult. I'm not planning on a move to Win8.

Apologies to the OP, that's probably not very helpful
I find the folders in Win 7 quite usable & although the Libraries & User folders can be a little confusing when accessing them through 3rd party programs (not being sure as to which one should be selected), it still works reasonably good. I like how much detail is shown at the bottom of the screen for each file that is highlighted & then the file can be easily changed from lists to large thumbnails. XP shows it on the left while Win 7 is at the bottom, but I've got used the Win 7 experience (albeit being slightly annoying at times). I'm only considering Win 8 (Pro) to get the 64 bit OS just because I want to run Capture One 7 (Pro or Express).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
When I used to be an IT pro (30 years before the mast!) I too used to enjoy tinkering with the various incarnations of Windows, trying to make it better, faster, more stable.

Now I'm retired I just want something which works. Win 8 works. I've never had a crash. Mind you, Win 7 was very nearly as reliable. File explorer works and I don't bother with the tiles (as I've stated before) - they are an option, not compulsory. It starts up and shuts down quickly (I only do this when an update prompts for a restart), otherwise it kips and awakens quickly.

Maybe it's not designed to be "tinkered" with. That's perhaps a good thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
My early computing work included Philips Word Processing Systems etc (as well as their old accounting systems with ledger cards & with punch hole card programming).

I later came back to computers for myself with DOS & Win 3.1, 95, XP & Win 7. I had to get my daughter a laptop & she didn't want Win 8 but that's where she is now & she is starting to discover how it operates now & to get around the annoying parts of it to get to what she wants.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 17th July 2013

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,046 Posts
Liked 2,198 Times in 1,167 Posts

Thank you for everyone's input as it has been quite helpful hearing (reading) all the comments. It isn't something I need to rush with as I have plenty of time to do whatever I may need to do (or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I haven't had much time using Windows 8 but Julia's aunt needed a new laptop a couple of weeks ago and it was down to me to source it and set it up. Most new Windows laptops now come with Win 8 as standard. I had few problems working with it, but without being big-headed I am probably more tecchie than average

I can see why many people would be confused or annoyed with Windows 9 because it has two massively different front-ends - the first being the tiled 'Metro' interface that is optimised for touch and the second being the old desktop UI, although that has had a makeover that is not entirely successful (removal of the start button, for a start).

Microsoft should have retained the start button/menus and provided a priority option for uses to choose between the desktop and the Metro interfaces as the default, not forcing Metro on everyone.

But I do believe that under the hood there are some very significant improvements (I found printer driver plug and play almost magically good, the whole system is very solid and as someone else commented the sleep wake responsiveness is excellent.

Windows 8.1 will fix a lot of things.

Ian
Thanks Ian. This all came about because I bought the Digital Camera magazine that had (a link for) a free version of Capture One Express 6 available (which is running fine on 32 bit) & of course, the upgrade to either the Express 7 or Pro 7 is attractive. The fly in the ointment was that CO Pro or Express 7 only runs on a 64 bit OS & I only have the 32 bit Win 7 (Pro), hence the reason for looking at options to upgrade my OS. The Win 8 Pro upgrade was only $49 whereas the Win 7 would have been $169 & so I bought the Win 8 Pro upgrade disc that will give me the option to move up to 64 bit as well. There are some things on my Toshiba laptop (also bought without enough thought) that won't operate under Win 8 but may not be a problem if I don't need those things, but I will have to go through a clean install (in the upgrade process) & download all the new compatible drivers from Toshiba. I'm not sure if the laptop after the clean install will be capable of doing the download or weather I need to get the downloads first & save them on a disc or what. I can go back to the Toshiba web page & follow their procedure & hopefully I won't regret doing it all. I won't be doing anything for a month anyhow, & especially not till I have everything moved to a PC (which has Win 7 Home Premium on it) & all working live there before doing anything to the laptop.

I've read some things about Win 8.1 & I don't think it will be all that Win 7 users will be hoping for but hopefully enough to make PC usage a better experience. It was pretty arrogant & dumb of Microsoft to introduce Win 8 without the older desktop, start screen options & to expect everybody to pretend they were using a tablet. Well, that's how I seem to understand it at the moment anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
I persevered with 8 on my new laptop for 5 months but just couldn't take it any longer. Blissful Win 7 64 bit is now installed and I couldn't be happier.

I don't want tiles. I do want a start button. I don't want a clock springing up every time I go near the right hand side of the touchpad. I do want to decide which interface I boot into. I don't want to be looking at a screen full of tiles every time I inadvertently press the wrong key. It's fast and reliable, but the list of annoyances is endless..... If this wasn't shipped on new systems it would be an epic fail for Microsoft......
I'm hoping Win 8.1 (to be released in August) will make the experience better, but we shall see.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 17th July 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

It's interesting to hear how many people dislike Win 8 because of the change from a "Start" button to a different method of accessing the same things. It's like complaining because the light switch in your VW isn't in the same place as on your old Austin. We're an adaptable people - adapt!

My Flickr site
Old 17th July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
If this wasn't shipped on new systems it would be an epic fail for Microsoft......
It's also interesting that Microsoft priced Win8 upgrades at a much lower level than Win7, and took Win7 upgrades off the market as soon as 8 was released. It's almost as if they knew people wouldn't like it and needed to be "encouraged" to make the change.

It's not so much moving the light switch but swapping the brake and accelerator . Of course, we've been here before with the change from Win3.1 to Win95 which was a totally different experience, and because they moved the close button on windows it had people closing windows accidentally till they got used to it ...

I'm sure Win8.1 will address a lot of these issues, just as iOS 6.1 did with the iPhone. Best to wait for that and see I think.