Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 30th March 2013

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
A little mushroom in the weeds...

Any critiques of this one would be most welcome. The best part about this one was: 1) lying in the weeds for an hour and 2) using a pile of inexpensive kit. Mushroom about three inches tall.

Shot using existing light (deep shade but with flickers of sunlight here and there), with the e-410, 40-150, ex25, VA-1 right angle magnifying viewfinder, on a small tripod. Built from a stack of nine shots using Helicon Focus. 100 ISO, f 9 and 1/6 second exposures, with a two second shutter delay and four second mirror lock up.

Old 31st March 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts
Re: A little mushroom in the weeds...

Using inexpensive gear to get superb results is always worth the effort, I have actually bought my first ever dedicated Macro lens this year, the 35mm.
Before, I have always used extenders or bellows, close up filters or add ons.

Detail in this is super, but never having seen one " in the flesh" so to speak, the colour appears a little, and I do mean a very little, muted on my screen. But this may just be from your host, as sometimes happens.
If you spent an hour on the grass over here at the moment, certain functions would freeze very envious indeed.
Old 31st March 2013

Thanks, Imageryone, for your comments. Yes, this little shroom was a bit pale and plain. We're out of that season now so anything popping up is cause for excitement. Here's an attempt to punch up the colors and contrast a bit:

Sorry your winter weather is quashing spring...
Old 31st March 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

That works much better, Stewart, our Spring will come....................... about August at this rate
Old 31st March 2013

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

I'd say that's an excellent result for an hour in the weeds! Personally I think I prefer the original, more muted version...
Old 1st April 2013

In the end, I think maybe a monochrome conversion I like best...