Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 25th July 2012
Adam Easton

Good, Bad or just plain Ugly

It was a bit hot last night so I thought I would have a go at making my garden into a studio.

As there was nobody willing to be a subject it became a self portrait with a time delay and the RC on the FL-36R

I had some funny looks this morning from the neighbours

Your thought are welcome.

Old 25th July 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts
Re: Good, Bad or just plain Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Easton View Post
It was a bit hot last night so I thought I would have a go at making my garden into a studio.

As there was nobody willing to be a subject it became a self portrait with a time delay and the RC on the FL-36R

I had some funny looks this morning from the neighbours

Your thought are welcome.

I don't know whether you are good or bad, Adam, but you're certainly plain ugly!

Sorry, couldn't resist, you actually look quite a dashing chap and I love the mood of this low key shot against a background of deep shadow. Don't think I've seen an E-520 look so mean and menacing either, it looks a real Canon killer. Great shot!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th July 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Very handsome, I think, a good portrait. The position of your fingers is a little distracting--not in the sense that there's anything wrong with them, but their compositional power draws the eye away from your face. I would tone them down a bit in some way, perhaps.
Old 25th July 2012
Adam Easton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
I don't know whether you are good or bad, Adam, but you're certainly plain ugly!

Sorry, couldn't resist, you actually look quite a dashing chap
Ha Ha!! and they say the camera never lies "rubbish"

I will put you down for "Plain ugly"

The funny thing is the honours was left to my E450 as the E520 was trying to look cool
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (25th July 2012)
Old 25th July 2012
Adam Easton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
The position of your fingers is a little distracting--not in the sense that there's anything wrong with them, but their compositional power draws the eye away from your face. I would tone them down a bit in some way, perhaps.
That was my thoughts really
Old 25th July 2012

Liked 65 Times in 52 Posts

I think it is a good and interestingly different effort. The camera being on the left (shadowed) side of your face adds character to the image.I do not mind the hands either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loup Garou For This Useful Post:
Old 25th July 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Is it just me who sees a portrait of the word Olympus ?
Wouldn't it be a better human portrait if the eyes were in focus instead of the camera name?
Am I barking up the wrong tree? - I'll get me coat ...
Old 25th July 2012
Adam Easton

The aperture was set at F10 to create sufficient DOF for the shot. In fact the drop of in DOF by the ear was done in photoshop as it was sharp from front to back.

I will put you down as bad!