Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 5th May 2012

Liked 156 Times in 78 Posts
Adventures with E-M5

Finally rescued the E-M5 from Citylink's Cardiff depot yesterday morning. I had to drive to Manchester yesterday afternoon so I took an inverter with me and put the battery on charge en route. It took 5 hours to get from Cardiff to Manchester (instead of the normal 3). The M6 was a nightmare. But it gave the battery a good charge!

It was a very grey, overcast evening in Manchester yesterday so not much chance of getting any decent shots but here's one of the car parked in front of the Beeb's Media City using the Dramatic Tone art filter...

And then one from this morning...

OK, so this isn't a great shot. It was first thing in the morning before make-up was applied and hair brushed and my wife will kill me if she finds out I've posted this so keep it quiet, OK. It does illustrate the capabilities of the camera, though. First, it was a very difficult exposure with light from a window on the left and dark room on the right, but the E-M5's metering has got it pretty much spot on (it's a jpeg straight out of the camera, just re-sized). Second, the dynamic range between the back lighting of her hair from the window on the left and the dark area on the right is amazing. Third, the level of detail in the shot taken at ISO 1600 is outstanding.

This one is using the Soft Focus art filter which she approves of more...

The Soft Focus was applied later in Viewer 2.

And finally, a nice little family group with OM1, OMD and baby...

Anyway, loving the E-M5 so far. Next task is to read the manual...

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 5th May 2012

Liked 289 Times in 143 Posts
Re: Adventures with E-M5

Dramatic tone (and the other art filters) is a great diversion on an otherwise dull photo opportunity. This one in Nottingham on a dull and cold drizzly day - yesterday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
Old 5th May 2012

Liked 854 Times in 282 Posts

Thanks Roger and Pete - classy is the OM-D.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 5th May 2012

Pete, that's a great shot. I can see me working that Dramatic Tone filter to death.

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
Old 6th May 2012

Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,043 Posts
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,155 Posts

This just keeps me getting out my life sized printed photos of my OM-D (silver kit) to come while I wait for mine to come in. It will come one day soon, I hope ('cause I've already paid for it).

You may fear your wife for posting her photo, but I had to confess to mine that I had done a stupid thing & went & ordered the E-M5 kit & not only that, I had commited the whole amount through paypal. Her response was, what, you bought another camera? I answered, "yes, the one I've been telling you all about" & that was it. I needn't have worried as much as I did, but it did take a few days to pluck up the courage to tell her.

Thanks for showing us your first photos with it.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 6th May 2012

Liked 289 Times in 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadus View Post
Pete, that's a great shot. I can see me working that Dramatic Tone filter to death.
Thanks Roger. And yes that Dramatic Tone is rather cool . It'll get plenty of use with all this grey weather we're having.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
Old 6th May 2012

Ross, I had to go through the 'confession' bit too. As it happens the E-M5 came along at almost the right time for me. I'm due to receive some money from an inheritance soon (when probate has been sorted out) so the only bit of wriggling I had to do was to explain why I'm spending the money now before I've got the inheritance money. At least I could say that Amazon had originally said that it wouldn't be available until June (which is true) and then when they said it was going to be available sooner I could have cancelled the order but it would, of course, be a shame to miss out on the free grip... Also I could pay for it from my business account so it didn't have any short term impact on our family finances anyway. And she knows that she's going to get a new kitchen (amongst other things) when the money comes through so she's happy. I've never spent more than 200 on any single photographic purchase and my E-1 will be 10 years old in October so I feel reasonably justified in buying a new camera now.

Pete, yes, it's all too easy to rely on the dramatic tone filter to help you out on dull days. Here are a couple more from yesterday...

By the way, I've been playing about with Viewer 2 and am pleasantly surprised so far.

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
Old 6th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariadus View Post
Ross, I had to go through the 'confession' bit too. As it happens the E-M5 came along at almost the right time for me. I'm due to receive some money from an inheritance soon (when probate has been sorted out) so the only bit of wriggling I had to do was to explain why I'm spending the money now before I've got the inheritance money. At least I could say that Amazon had originally said that it wouldn't be available until June (which is true) and then when they said it was going to be available sooner I could have cancelled the order but it would, of course, be a shame to miss out on the free grip... Also I could pay for it from my business account so it didn't have any short term impact on our family finances anyway. And she knows that she's going to get a new kitchen (amongst other things) when the money comes through so she's happy. I've never spent more than 200 on any single photographic purchase and my E-1 will be 10 years old in October so I feel reasonably justified in buying a new camera now.

Pete, yes, it's all too easy to rely on the dramatic tone filter to help you out on dull days. Here are a couple more from yesterday...

By the way, I've been playing about with Viewer 2 and am pleasantly surprised so far.
I've been (pre-)spending my inheritance too. I bought myself a (used) car last year & now this camera while I wait for my late Mum's house to sell. It still has a bit more preparation to go before it can be sold, so I'm trying to get through musical instrument (violin & cello) repairs & sales to recoup the money I've spent on the camera as well as buy my wife a desired bit of jewellery before Mothers Day next weekend. That's the beauty of working for myself; work when the money is needed & enjoy life at a more relaxed pace when it isn't as desperate.

I love the dramatic tone photos you've taken & I reckon I'll be using it for certain shots too.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 6th May 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Roger, I admire your commitment - that was a hell of a journey, albeit a great charge for you OM-D You so deserve to have much fun with it ! and Dramatic Tone is rather superb eh? and Soft Focus appears to be "very, VERY Nice" !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 6th May 2012

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts

Am I the only one who can't see Roger's images? Tried both Chrome and FF....
Old 6th May 2012

Ross, your situation is very similar to mine. I"m selling my late Mum's house too. Fortunately a neighbour wanted to buy it so the sale has been straightforward so far. I'm also self employed with various sources of income so I too can tailor the amount of work I do to the amount of cash required. One source of income is driving as a chauffeur, hence the Merc and the need to drive to Manchester. In fact, right now I'm sitting in a car in Wembley having taken people to Britain's Got Talent and I'm typing this on my Android tablet.

Chevvy, it's an occupational hazard, I'm afraid. My wife would agree with you on the soft focus filter!

Derek, I would also be interested to hear if anyone else can't see the images. They're hosted on my web site but the URL seems to be passed through some kind of proxy as far as I can see so that might have something to do with it. I've uploaded them to my gallery now though so hopefully you can see them there. I can't seem to edit the post on my tablet for some reason - might do so when I'm next near a PC.

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
Old 6th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
Am I the only one who can't see Roger's images? Tried both Chrome and FF....
Better use IE9 then.
Old 7th May 2012

A couple more from my trip to Wembley yesterday (no dramatic tone filter this time). First one processed very hurriedly as I'm off to Falmouth to take daughter back to Uni in a minute. Second one jpeg straight out of the camera.

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8