Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 1st July 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Mac or PC?

Hi Stephen,

I'd say it depends upon budget. If your budget is tight then PCs are certainly cheaper to buy. If you have more money to play with Macs are an option for you. Do you have a budget in mind ?

At the cheaper Mac end you can buy a mac mini and add your existing screen, keyboard and mouse (from a PC I assume) and yes your right click will still work !
Other safe options are Apple store refurbs (1 year warranty) and second hand buys of Macs less than a year old (can still add warranty from Apple which covers up to 3 years from purchase)

With more budget you are then into iMacs, Laptops and Mac Pros.

Extra RAM can be added to Macs if needed.

Yes, software can be more expensive but not always so. Office for Mac (home/student) is on amazon for £58.40, (not £109.99!) iWork is a similar price (with an excellent presentation package called keynote) and Aperture is a Lightroom alternative for a lot less money (about £45 from the app. store).

You also get some very good software in the iLife suite (including iPhoto) for free - do you do any music/sound or movie editing ?

Yes Macs are always/usually/sometimes (delete according to your fence position!) more expensive that a similar spec/quality PC but they do tend to have a higher resale value and in my experience a longer useful working life.

Now the Macs are intel chipped you can also boot them into windows (bootcamp - free) or run a windows area in your Mac (with software like fusion, about £50) - just need a copy of windows.

At the moment you don't need antivirus etc. software for a Mac, but it is available if you want (including I think a free option)

As for specs a good size/quality screen and extra RAM if needed should be enough to start with. (If you need more speed/power there must be comparison bench tests on internet/in magazines) You can add an extra screen to the iMacs and laptops and have an "extended desktop" - two separate screens or run them as a mirror of each other.

Ultimately it's your choice Stephen you need to have a good demo of a Mac to see if is for you or not. As John said people tend to sit in one camp or another and this thread will go round and round and round in circles !

For me - some years ago a friend had one and I liked using it so I bought one. 3 friends have since done the same comparing with Win 98/2000/XP and Vista along the way. I hear Windows 7 is much better now - you pays your money you takes your choice ....

Regards,
Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:
StephenL (2nd July 2011), theMusicMan (2nd July 2011)
Old 2nd July 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Thanks for all the sensible replies. At the moment I do not need or want to upgrade from my present PC. But I did want to get a handle on the comparative specs of the different systems, such as do Macs benefit as much as PCs from extra ram. And Sid's comment about monitors is interesting.

John, if you'd rather I didn't make what I thought was a sensible post, just say so.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 2nd July 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Thanks for all the sensible replies. At the moment I do not need or want to upgrade from my present PC. But I did want to get a handle on the comparative specs of the different systems, such as do Macs benefit as much as PCs from extra ram. And Sid's comment about monitors is interesting.

John, if you'd rather I didn't make what I thought was a sensible post, just say so.
Certainly wasn't a daft post Stephen, the title may have been daft, yes , but not the post itself. You made it 100% clear what you wanted (and more importantly you also made it clear what you didn't want) ... but it was obvious that some people would only ever turn it into a Mac vs PC debate.

Having said that, the thread now seems to be providing you with some extremely useful and pertinent information, from Mark especially. Hope it stays that way.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
Mark (3rd July 2011), StephenL (2nd July 2011)
Old 2nd July 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Yes, there's some potentially useful information coming to me here. To switch over to a Mac is something I consider every time I have to build or buy a new PC - I don't like to be predictable! But I don't need to change just yet, so at the moment it's just a thought-gathering exercise.

My Flickr site
Old 2nd July 2011

Yes indeed, some very good info here now.

Just to add, that the Macbook I had for 4 years served me very well and only showed signs of slowing down when I had the likes of CS5, LR3, Photomatix Pro, MS Office, FFox running all at the same time... I sold it for £200 just a little while ago after paying £699 for it 4 years ago. I did have a hard drive fail on me, but that was one that I installed myself, and not the original hard drive. It was simply time for me to upgrade, and I purchased a 13" MacBook Pro with the spec I already mentioned, which just flies.

One more thing about Apple. On the original(ish) Macbooks there is what seems to be a material type design flaw. The four of us here (wife & kids) had Macbooks each, and each one developed the same symptoms. After about 2 years of use, the corners and edges of the machine where the plastic of the inside panels (around keyboard and around screen) started to crack slightly, and small strips started to come off - noticeably where ones hands rest on either side of the machine when using the touchpad. I went to the Mac store in Cardiff the other week with two laptops and mentioned this to the chaps in the store... who informed me that this was not acceptable, and would I like to leave each machine (and bring along the 3rd at home when free) with them for them to fit replacement panels and keyboards on each of the machines. When I asked how much this would cost... "oh sir, sorry, this will be totally free of charge, for all your machines". This was on three 3 or 4 yr old Macbooks, each totally out of warranty. We now have three Macbooks that not only perform as well now as the day they were purchased, but also look as good as new too!!. Couldn't fault the service. Try getting that level of customer service at PC World eh

Old 2nd July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by son of sid View Post
I don't favour the modern Mac monitors or Imac as I can't calibrate the glossy screen satisfactorily and find the glare troublesome.
Sid
The glossy screens can be a nuisance in a certain setup, but I had no problem whatsoever with the calibration of the glossy iMac with a Spyder3 Elite.

And I agree with the Musicman here, the initial price of a Mac might be a bit higher, the TCO is lower than comparable Windows machines.
Old 2nd July 2011

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

I try not to buy the latest version of any computer but to buy a last years model either as an ex dem or refurbished model - it removes the sting of the initial price drop and to be honest even a very current model is not going to be the current model in less than year so why pay for having the latest and greatest for such a short time.

For desk use as opposed to travel around use - I prefer to have a slightly slower Mac Pro than the fastest iMac.

With the Mac Pro I can add significantly more memory, I can add additional drives without any hassle, and I can up the screen specification without having to get a whole new computer. As well as buying monitors from other sources.

My current Mac pro has been increased to 10 GB of memory, an SSD drive for system and application programs, an additional 4 SATA drives for data and backup. The SSD drive gives very rapid boot and application times performance.

As the drives are easy to swap I can keep increasing the drive capacity without any fiddling around. Currently have 7TB of hard drive space plus the 120GB SSD.
Old 2nd July 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

On a point of interest, how would one get a photo collection from a PC to a Mac? I have copies of my data, including photos, on external USB drives. Would I simply be able to plug these drives in to a Mac and have them recognised?

My Flickr site
Old 2nd July 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
On a point of interest, how would one get a photo collection from a PC to a Mac? I have copies of my data, including photos, on external USB drives. Would I simply be able to plug these drives in to a Mac and have them recognised?
Yep. mac's will read and write FAT32.

Old 2nd July 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...but if your disks are NTFS formatted, you'll need a 3rd party utility to read/write them
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogcow For This Useful Post:
StephenL (2nd July 2011)
Old 2nd July 2011

or FTP them over your local LAN from the Windows machine to the Mac, as the Mac has a FTP server you will need to use a FTP client on the Windows machine.

By doing it this way you can preserve the directory structure that you have set up.
The Following User Says Thank You to DerekW For This Useful Post:
StephenL (2nd July 2011)
Old 2nd July 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
but it was obvious that some people would only ever turn it into a Mac vs PC debate.

Having said that, the thread now seems to be providing you with some extremely useful and pertinent information, from Mark especially. Hope it stays that way.
John,
I have no axe to grind either way - I hope you will accept that. It's Stephen's money and Stephen's decision on what he will eventually buy. However I've got to say that your comments here and in the follow ups show a real bias. According to the statistics I have garnered from Gartner and others the Mac has approx 10% of the US PC/laptop market and 5-6% of the worldwide market. Those figures may be down to
1) going with the flow
2) initial cost
3) on going costs
4) other issues
but the figures are real and need to be acknowledged. There are reasons that the majority of PC/laptop buyers buy regular Windows PCs/laptops.
Old 2nd July 2011

However people choose a Mac - it is a positive statement of intent often after investigation of the options and making a decision about buying into the technology, rather like choosing to use a 4/3rds or m4/3rds camera rather than a Canikon Vista or whatever.
Old 2nd July 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie allan View Post
John,
I have no axe to grind either way - I hope you will accept that. It's Stephen's money and Stephen's decision on what he will eventually buy. However I've got to say that your comments here and in the follow ups show a real bias. According to the statistics I have garnered from Gartner and others the Mac has approx 10% of the US PC/laptop market and 5-6% of the worldwide market. Those figures may be down to
1) going with the flow
2) initial cost
3) on going costs
4) other issues
but the figures are real and need to be acknowledged. There are reasons that the majority of PC/laptop buyers buy regular Windows PCs/laptops.
Totally agree Jamie, and is the very same reason I (and very likely yourself, too) choose to use Olympus cameras, when possibly 85% (or more) of the camera user market use other brands.

There must be a reason for that, eh!

Touché

Oh, and I am not biased, as I have used both systems extensively. It's not bias... it's preference, and it is based on personal experience.

Old 2nd July 2011

Liked 1,325 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogcow View Post
And I agree with the Musicman here, the initial price of a Mac might be a bit higher, the TCO is lower than comparable Windows machines.
That was the point I was making but it appears to have gone over some peoples heads.

David M's Photoblog