Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 5th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts
Tabby by Torchlight

I adore my cat, "Thimble," and have taken many conventional pictures of her. Few of these, however, capture her personality and so I recently took a series of photographs, lit only by a small LED torch, in an effort to reveal some of her character. I'm pleased with the results which, to me, represent a triumph of mood over technical perfection.

But I'm biased. What do you think? Honest opinions, no matter how critical, will be very much appreciated.

Zuiko
Old 5th March 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Tabby by Torchlight

I think the first and last images are very good. The first displaying the generic character of 'a cat' and perhaps something specific about Thimble.

The last is an intriguing image/pattern/shape with a lovely feel of texture. I understand why the head is at a slant but wonder if a fully symmetrical presentation might not work even better.

I'm afraid the middle two images do not work for me; the rear end of a cat - so what/why. And the blurred/motion image has too much motion compared to shape. Others may well disagree.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 5th March 2008
Jim

Like the last one.
Old 5th March 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Love the eyes in the first especially against the cold blue feel of the fur.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 5th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

I like the compositions, but the blue cast troubles me

Did you intend the blue to be that intense?

ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 5th March 2008
Administrator

Liked 547 Times in 295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I like the compositions, but the blue cast troubles me

Did you intend the blue to be that intense?

ian
I have to admit that I like the general blue colour - it's obviouslt from the LED's which give a much bluer light than regula halogen or tungsten bulbs. I like the way the cat's eye contrasts. Someone did similar with PP recently on a Tiger shot if I remember, but IMHO this is nice because it's more natural

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 5th March 2008
ewan

I really like the first one, but like Ian, am not to keen on the blue cast.
Might look good as mono with just the eyes in colour.

regards Ewan.
Old 5th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's sure is one cool cat, I think the cross processed look acheived by using the led light works well, a prefurr the first shot's composition. Great capture.
Old 5th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,506 Times in 2,143 Posts

Hi,

and thanks to all who have offered an opinion so far. If there's one skill I wish I could improve it's the ability to judge my own work as objectively as I judge other photographer's work. Until I can achieve that, forums like this are the next best thing.

Taking Nick's point about the rear of the cat, to me this picture so typifies a pose I often see of Thimble as she roots around in any empty box or bag she comes across. But here lays the problem; this image means something to me but not to anybody else. Why should it? It was rather careless and self-indulgent to include it in this selection.

The amount of blur acceptable when attempting to depict motion in a still image is always a matter of opinion and, looking hard again at this one I must say I still like it. However, Nick is far better placed to judge my work than I am myself.... does anyone else have an opinion on this one?

Ian and ewan, I rather liked the blue cast which, combined with the harsh, spotlight effect from the torch, I felt imbued a strong night-time mood to the pictures. I tried a few customised white balance settings before settling on 5600K (which approximates to a sunny day). Andym, shenstone and photonutter all seem to like the effect of this cast, but maybe I should reshoot a little higher up the Kelvin Scale to see if a more subtle effect woud be an improvement.

The general concensus regarding composition seem to be a preference for the first and last, with the jury out on the middle two. The great benefit of digital is that it positively encourages us to try different techniques or more adventurous compositions. It doesn't always work, but it costs nothing and is great fun and, with your help, I feel I've learnt a little more from this particular venture.

Regards,

Zuiko