Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 14th September 2019

Liked 282 Times in 145 Posts
Upcoming Exhibition

Tuesday, 1 October is going to be a very special day, well for me at least. It’s going to be the opening of my very own exhibition located in the heart of the area where most of my photography takes place. Always interested in urban photography, I started with a conventional candid ‘street’ approach which has now morphed into accosting complete strangers and requesting a photograph. If you are in London and especially the Spitalfields area, why not take a peek? The location is Kahaila Café, 135 Brick Lane, E1 where I’m showing a mix of black & white images and colour for the whole of October. Kahaila is open 7 days a week and more information about it can be found here.

All bar one of the twenty exhibits have been taken with my trusty OM-D-5 mk.1 and I’ll be posting a few in the coming days. The odd one out was taken with my old Nikon D300. If you care to investigate further, many images may be seen on my website

Hope that some will be able to make it.

Cheers

Crazy Dave

Last edited by Crazy Dave; 14th September 2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Links
The Following Users Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (4 Weeks Ago), drmarkf (14th September 2019), Graham_of_Rainham (15th September 2019), Internaut (4 Weeks Ago), Jax (15th September 2019), MJ224 (14th September 2019), OM USer (14th September 2019)
Old 14th September 2019

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts
Re: Upcoming Exhibition

Fantastic!
I’ve got several trips to London for meetings in October, so I’ll definitely be able to go.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
Crazy Dave (15th September 2019)
Old 15th September 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Good luck Dave, I hope it's a great success.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 15th September 2019

Liked 3,837 Times in 1,772 Posts

Good on you Dave. Hope its a great success...………….

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
Old 15th September 2019

Thanks for the good wishes, very encouraging at this time of great nervousness.

I've had a little thunk and rather than post some of the exhibits on the forum, I've decided to post some of those that didn't quite make the cut. Deciding what to include/exclude was very difficult having had advice from two well qualified friends who happened to disagree on some of the images. Anyhow, this one didn't make it. The subject is Alexis who was working in a tattoo parlour in Hackney. I didn't quite get the gesture I was hoping for and happened to say to Alexis that I found her eyes disconcerting. 'Good", was the response.

When I looked at this image on the computer, I realised that the whites of the eyes had been dyed black. I've since come to the opinion that tattooing is very addictive and when the space has run out, some people opt for body manipulation.

This was taken as part of my tattoo parlour project

Crazy Dave
Bikie John (15th September 2019), Zuiko (15th September 2019)
Old 15th September 2019

Liked 737 Times in 493 Posts

Best of luck Dave. If I go to The Smoke during October I will try and fit in a detour out East.

What you say about the selection process is very interesting. I will certainly look forward to seeing the ones you haven't included - maybe you could put the ones that did make it up after the exhibition has finished?

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikie John For This Useful Post:
Old 15th September 2019

Liked 149 Times in 103 Posts

No doubt be watching the O's at some stage in October so will try and get over to have a butchers.
Do they do a breakfast in the caff Dave, need a bite to eat after the journey down
The Following User Says Thank You to Tram For This Useful Post:
Crazy Dave (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
No doubt be watching the O's at some stage in October so will try and get over to have a butchers.
Do they do a breakfast in the caff Dave, need a bite to eat after the journey down
Kahaila does tasty snacks rather than cooked food. If it’s a full English, try Franze and Evans on the corner of Redchurch Street and Swanfield Street, just 2 minutes from Kahaila. In Brick Lane itself, there’s Cereal Killer or if you fancy being with creatives staring into their MacBooks, Albion Cafe also on Redchurch Street has a lively buzz. For sure you won’t go hungry, the area has dozens of places to eat.

David
Tram (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
When I looked at this image on the computer, I realised that the whites of the eyes had been dyed black.
IMO she looks hideous with those eyes. She'd scarcely look worse if her nose had been cut off!

I wonder what precautions the tattooist takes when tattooing eyes? About once a month I go to Moorefields eye hospital for an injection in my right eye. They take quite extreme precautions in ensuring the eye and surrounding area is anaesthetised and sterilised to prevent infection.

Jim
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
IMO she looks hideous with those eyes. She'd scarcely look worse if her nose had been cut off!

I wonder what precautions the tattooist takes when tattooing eyes? About once a month I go to Moorefields eye hospital for an injection in my right eye. They take quite extreme precautions in ensuring the eye and surrounding area is anaesthetised and sterilised to prevent infection.

Jim
Jim, if you are squeamish, stop reading this paragraph and jump to the next. Alexis has an unusual surname so being curious, I did a Google search. There I found a video of a journey by Alexis and her mother to Belgium, the purpose was a procedure to remove the Adam's Apple from her throat. I used to believe that some gender realignment was a fad but it's hard to imagine the emotional pressures that leads someone to undertake such drastic steps. I hope that I'm more understanding now.

Here's another photo that didn't make the cut. This is Mick Taylor, Brick Lane legend sitting as he usually did, outside the famous Beigel Bake shop. I knew him for several years, had some really interesting conversations and got lots of photos. Mick passed away a couple of years ago, I still cannot quite believe that he's gone. I do have another photo of him in the exhibition.

David
Jim Ford (3 Weeks Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Bikie John (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Here's another pic from my tattoo parlour project that isn't going to feature. the subject is Lee and he just pulled down his vest when I asked for a pose.

This is the last that I'm going to upload but today, Black + White Photography magazine (November edition) features a two page spread about the exhibition which is great news for me and the venue which dedicates itself to charitable projects.

David

Bikie John (3 Weeks Ago), Jax (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Tattoos that people had done many years ago always seem to lose much of their definition and just look and indistinct smeary blue. Is there anything in modern tattooing technique or materials that means this won't happen after many years?

Jim
Old 3 Weeks Ago

I don’t know about the durability of inks Jim. Some parlours use inks that are contain no animal products but that’s the sum of my knowledge. At one parlour, I mentioned to one of the artists that I was mildly interested in breaking my tattoo duck but where could I have one that the wife couldn’t see. “That sir, depends on how well you know your wife”.

Can’t argue with that.

David
Jim Ford (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Tattoos that people had done many years ago always seem to lose much of their definition and just look and indistinct smeary blue. Is there anything in modern tattooing technique or materials that means this won't happen after many years?

Jim
I suspect that’s got more to do with the fading skin elasticity and hardening political leanings of many human beings as they age, Jim

Sagging flesh, inked now-illegibly with decades old slogans, has got to be one of the saddest eyesores on Costa beaches.

I know a number of plastic and aesthetic surgeons rubbing their hands with glee at the private fees to be earned in the future from removing unwise tattoos, inscribed during the current epidemic. Impossible to remove most of them invisibly, of course.

My advice is, don’t do it.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
Jim Ford (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Some great portraits there Dave. Good luck with the exhibition.
The Following User Says Thank You to inkyblue For This Useful Post:
Crazy Dave (3 Weeks Ago)