Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 14th April 2019

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts
Conflicting Info from Olympus re 3 Year Extended Warranty

A month ago I realised that both E-M1 II bodies we have were within the six month additional warranty period, given by Olympus when I originally registered the cameras.

I intended to purchase the Olympus 3 Year Extended Warranty for the cameras however, I was unsure if the were eligible as they were outside of the original 2 year warranty period but were still covered by the additional Olympus 6 month warranty.

I emailed Olympus Support and asked if the cameras would still be eligible for the 3 Year Extended Warranty expecting confirmation that this was the case.

I was disappointed to receive an email from Olympus Support advising that the 3 year Extended Warranty could only be applied to the cameras with the manufacturer's original two year warranty period, I thought this was rather strange however, I accepted the answer given by Olympus Support.

Imagine my surprise when I received an Olympus Newsletter email today advising that I may wish to purchase a 3 Year Extended Warranty as my current warranty runs out soon.

I've emailed Olympus Support again asking them to confirm whether the Olympus Support rep is correct or if the official Olympus email is correct.

This is another example of conflicting information being provided by Olympus Support possibly to the detriment of the customer. I have no desire to spend £200.00 on warranties for two cameras to then be told I can't use them however, I also don't want to to miss the opportunity to extend the warranty if possible.

Dave

The email reads as follows:

Dear Mr. G

We hope you have enjoyed using our products and all the fun and adventure that comes with them.

So that you can continue to get the best out of your OLYMPUS camera, we suggest extending your warranty, which will expire soon.

Activating a 3 years extended warranty for your OM-D body means more worry-free photography and peace of mind when discovering the world.

3 years extended warranty can only be activated during the warranty period.

Your product: E-M1 Mark II

Serial number: BHUA****

Warranty expiration date: 2019-06-14 00:00:00.0

Last edited by DavyG; 14th April 2019 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Security
Old 14th April 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts
Re: Conflicting Info from Olympus re 3 Year Extended Warranty

Databases.... Your average company will have 5 or more databases with customer information in them. They seldom agree.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
DavyG (14th April 2019)
Old 14th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Databases.... Your average company will have 5 or more databases with customer information in them. They seldom agree.
I donít think conflicting databases is the reason in this case Paul.

The information given in the email regarding the expiry date of the current warranty, the Olympus Support rep has exactly the same information.

It appears to me that the rep is interpreting things in a different way to the information given in the Olympus Newsletter email.

Dave
Old 14th April 2019

Liked 284 Times in 187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
I donít think conflicting databases is the reason in this case Paul.

The information given in the email regarding the expiry date of the current warranty, the Olympus Support rep has exactly the same information.

It appears to me that the rep is interpreting things in a different way to the information given in the Olympus Newsletter email.

Dave
I agree, it has nothing to do with databases but probably the fault of Olympus advertising software.

Copy from Olympus FAQ pages

When does the extended warranty begin? The activation of this warranty must be completed within the statutory/implied local warranty period valid in your country. It starts immediately after the expiry of the local warranty period or after other warranty periods, which may have been available within the scope of promotions.

If I understand the above correctly, the extended warranty must be taken out within the original 2 yr period but does not take effect until the extra 6 months has expired. In effect, the original info you received was correct and the latest email was simply an error on the part of Olympus advertising.

Jax
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax For This Useful Post:
DavyG (14th April 2019)
Old 14th April 2019

Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts

I had the very same issue with my Em1 MK1 a couple of years back, they were giving an additional 6 months free so I rang within that period and could not purchase an extended warranty as it needed to be done within the original 2 years. Partly my fault for not reading the smallprint but equally it was not made crystal clear at the point of purchase which frustrated me as a loyal customer. I never managed to purchase the additional 3 yr warranty.
DavyG (14th April 2019)
Old 14th April 2019

Davy, I'm not sure what could be done maliciously, but you may want to remove your camera serial number from your post.

Just a thought.

Jax
The Following User Says Thank You to Jax For This Useful Post:
DavyG (14th April 2019)
Old 15th April 2019

Liked 702 Times in 372 Posts

Why bother to ask again? Just reply that email with a YES. then see what happens.

All my garbage so far.
DavyG (15th April 2019)
Old 15th April 2019

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Well it looks like I'm in the same boat. I knew my 6 months extended ran out in September, but the original 2 year was last month, which obviously means if they are applying those rules I won't be able to extend the warranty.
No matter how advanced your camera you still need to be responsible for getting it to the right place at the right time and pointing it in the right direction to get the photo you want. - Ken Rockwell

Say It With A Camera
Photography From North Wales
Flickr
DavyG (15th April 2019)
Old 15th April 2019

Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,043 Posts
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Davy, I'm not sure what could be done maliciously, but you may want to remove your camera serial number from your post.

Just a thought.

Jax
Probably best not to show it directly, however it would be in the EXIF of any of his photos though (if he would add EXIF ).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
DavyG (15th April 2019)
Old 15th April 2019

Thanks to assistance from Olympus Support, this matter should be resolved.

I've purchased warranties for both bodies and Olympus Support will apply the warranties when I receive the codes.

I'll post confirmation when everything is finalised. I'd recommend anyone experiencing difficulty re Olympus equipment/warranties to contact Olympus Support, they have been very helpful. email: camera.support.uk@olympus.eu

Thanks to MikeH for raising this post/issue on a FB Group, I'm sure it helped resolve the matter much faster.

Dave
Old 15th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Why bother to ask again? Just reply that email with a YES. then see what happens.
I didn't want to spend £200.00 buying warranties and then be told I couldn't use them.

Dave
Old 15th April 2019

Liked 466 Times in 206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
A month ago I realised that both E-M1 II bodies we have were within the six month additional warranty period, given by Olympus when I originally registered the cameras.

Imagine my surprise when I received an Olympus Newsletter email today advising that I may wish to purchase a 3 Year Extended Warranty as my current warranty runs out soon.

This is another example of conflicting information being provided by Olympus Support possibly to the detriment of the customer. I have no desire to spend £200.00 on warranties for two cameras to then be told I can't use them however, I also don't want to to miss the opportunity to extend the warranty if possible.

Dave

The email reads as follows:

Dear Mr. G

We hope you have enjoyed using our products and all the fun and adventure that comes with them.

So that you can continue to get the best out of your OLYMPUS camera, we suggest extending your warranty, which will expire soon...
...3 years extended warranty can only be activated during the warranty period.

Your product: E-M1 Mark II
Serial number: BHUA****
Warranty expiration date: 2019-06-14 00:00:00.0
Dave,
I've just received a very similar email and, like you, my camera will soon be 2.5 years old.
However, given that the Olympus email clearly states that the "Warranty expiration date" lies in the future I think they would be on very flaky ground if they were determined to deny your extended warranty purchase.

I also suspect that Olympus will make much more profit on these warranty sales than their costs of repairs under (extended) warranty.
To date I have seen very few user reports complaining of E-M1 mk2 failures. There doesn't seem to be any repeat of the loose strap lug or rear-dial fault as per the mk1 product.

This offer seems akin to the widespread exploitative pushing of extended warranties on consumer white goods. I will check the warranty scope and exclusions very carefully before deciding whether it represents value for money.
DavyG (24th April 2019)
Old 16th April 2019

Liked 129 Times in 87 Posts

Hi glad you got sorted. They must have changed their stance, guessing I wasnít the only person to complain a few years ago. Having said that, touch wood my camera has been fault free.
DavyG (24th April 2019)
Old 16th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
Hi glad you got sorted. They must have changed their stance, guessing I wasnít the only person to complain a few years ago. Having said that, touch wood my camera has been fault free.
I don't think anyone has been sorted to their satisfaction. Olympus hasn't changed their stance which appears to have always been that owners need to purchase the Extra 3 yrs Warranty within the original 2 yr warranty period. This is not unusual as most extra warranty offers with similar goods such as computers, cameras, hi-fi etc. all apply similar restrictions. It pays to read the small print !

Jax
DavyG (24th April 2019)
Old 18th April 2019

Liked 52 Times in 45 Posts

Hi Dave thanks for the heads up on warranties. I have been in contact with Olympus and had a long in depth reply. Both Em1mk2 were still in date with my warranties.
The eldest runs out in May (next month). I was considering the elite service and was a little daunted at £345 for both cameras with the extended 3 year warranty.
Any one have any thoughts on the upgrade?
Kind regards Mike
DavyG (24th April 2019), Tram (18th April 2019)