Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 18th August 2015

Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts
Re: Windows 10

That is scary stuff. The more I learn about Windows 10 the more inclined I am to stick with Windows 7.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (18th August 2015)
Old 18th August 2015
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
And when you've spent ages wading through all those options and switched off those you can, the option to Send Data To Microsoft can only be set to BASIC. This means whether you like it or not, MS are still able to monitor and harvest your data. What a wonderful operating system ! Big Brother has well and truly arrived.

John
According to Microsoft:

• Basic information is data that is vital to the operation of Windows. This data helps keep Windows and apps running properly by letting Microsoft know the capabilities of your device, what is installed, and whether Windows is operating correctly. This option also turns on basic error reporting back to Microsoft. If you select this option, we’ll be able to provide updates to Windows (through Windows Update, including malicious software protection by the Malicious Software Removal Tool), but some apps and features may not work correctly or at all.
If you're not comfortable with that then avoid Windows 10 at present. I'm okay with it as it stands but I think that it may be changed by MS before long.

Steve

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 18th August 2015
Codger

Liked 105 Times in 45 Posts

The apps and features that won't work with Basic data send are things like Cortana and some browser features that require lots of data collection. I haven't found anything I NEED that doesn't work.

The only way to avoid data collection is:

1. Use some flavour of unix (as long as it doesn't come from Apple!)
2. Don't connect to the internet, except in exceptional cases, like email...
3. If you must have email, use something like Runbox (based in Norway) - it won't gather or give out any data but it's not free.
4. Don't use a mobile phone.

Everything else is a compromise. One absolute no-no is Facebook which exists only to gather data about you .

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (18th August 2015), PeterBirder (19th August 2015)
Old 19th August 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

This is my first post and I thought that I would share my W10 experiences with you!

I "upgraded" to W10 and it seemed to be OK but it did not "flow" like W7. Then I started noticing minor problems. Photoshop CC which had begun to get rather slow, at times, on W7 now froze every so often, and the canvas would suddenly go blank. Have to admit I started to use Paintshop Pro X8 Ultimate (a big improvement on previous versions) and there were no problems.

Sunday morning came and as I was going out on the bicycle all day I want to check what the temperature was going to be. Started the computer which then came up with the message "Scanning and Repairing your computer". After some long time the desktop put in an appearance, but half the icons were missing and all the task bar icons had gone. I went to go to Firefox and it was if it had not been used before. All the bookmarks etc. - gone. I shut it all down at that point and went out on the bike.

When I got back home, I started the computer back up and was sorting it out to get back to where I should have been. The crash not only lost various setting within programs but also changed the keyboard to a US layout - very confusing! During the poking about I found a menu where I could get back to W7 (good for one month after the "upgrade"). My computer is now quite happy to be back on W7! Photoshop is still being slow at times but I have not had the blank canvas - as yet. Paintshop is running very well.
The computer has 16GB of RAM and Photoshop has elected itself to use just under 8GB so the problem there is not memory.

The other problem was that during the crash and resetting up W7 I lost the last images uploaded and had formated the card in the camera. After some research I found a piece of software called Recuva and got them back. I can recomend Recuva and it is of the cheaper ones. Some which claim to be free are not! With those ones you get so far but cannot save the images unless you pay whatever the price being charged to buy the licence for the software.

My conclusions leave W10 well alone!

Cheers to all,
John.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnzsv For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th August 2015)
Old 19th August 2015

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

Some 'good news...' or is it???

You decide... Gotcha!

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 19th August 2015

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

Gets better and better doesn't it, eh?

I wonder what other cr*p will surface.

Jim
Old 18th February 2016

Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts

Having been very sceptical about Win10 up to now I decided yesterday to bite the bullet and install it on my living room computer (not this one) as I mainly use that for playing music and video, and browsing. The "quick easy update" process took around six hours (!) but it worked and the software I've tried so far seems to work just as well as it did under 7. It still sees this computer over the network too and required no changes to settings etc. but this computer cannot acess files on that one so far. The Metro apps didn't work too well though. Most of them (such as Edge, Store etc) crashed immediately after starting up and forced a restart of Windows. On that little machine that process takes around five minutes so quickly became frustrating! It does seem to be gradually settling down though. I have switched off as many of the data harvesting bits that I can find.

I quite like the new look but Windows Mail remains useless (as it is in 7) since it doesn't mark quoted text in a reply, so if you want to respond point-by-point it quickly becomes unreadable after several replies. I haven't found a way to delete read mail from the server either. Luckily my ancient version of Eudora still seems to work! I can't see me having much use for the Apps, frankly. It doesn't appear much different to 7 in terms of start-up/shut down times, although the machine isn't powered down until some time after the monitor is blanked so I have to be careful when I switch off at the mains!

I'll see how I feel about it in the 28 days I have left until I'm no longer able to revert to 7, and make a final decision then.

The computer incidentally is a Lenovo IdeaCentre with a 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor, and subjectively feels no quicker than a 10MHz PC AT running Windows 3.11. Have we really progressed?
Old 18th February 2016

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

I upgraded by Backup PC to Windows 10 .... but it lost all my Internet Explorer Favourites, it seemed to be able to see the folders but not the all the contents ... Certain random links were available but not all ..... Microsoft's answer was to re-enter them all manually! (Could not install IE to use that either)

I rolled it back to Window's 7 and will be staying there! (All my Favourites were there OK)

Dave
Old 18th February 2016

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts

I've been spending the last three days getting my sisters' PC sorted out. Was going to put W7 OS on as she doesn't find W8 / 8.1 easy to use. Unfortunately. she has ended up being stuck with it.

HP have apparently did away with W7 hardware drivers for the model and the W8 versions are not compatible??? I've found others on the net extolling the same tale of woe.

I've found a certian 'UV proggie' that has been subverted - functions removed - that can now only be downloaded via MS / Apple / Google. Seems like yet another one way street is in the making with a cash-point at the exit.

So much for freedom of choice.

BTW - Make sure of a secure back-up copy as I had it go pear-shape when reverting back to W7. Reason being that the OS from W8 onwards does not use the normal FAT/DOS format and a W7 disk instal will not recognise the HD.

If you should fall down this rabbit hole, then this link might help things along -> Windows Hell

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs