Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th May 2015

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts
Re: Idle Estate Agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I travelled out to Italy to examine a vessel last year, and on arriving got my trusty blue cotton overalls out to get stuck in to examining her.

The Project Manager (an ex pat) was horrified, and said "if you go out into the yard wearing those they'll think you're an engineer or something and will hand you a welding torch or a bunch of spanners."

I told him that I would happily do some welding if asked and just carried on; but he clearly saw this as a class distinction and evidently had a real hang up about it.

There again, looking at his pinkies I don't think he had been near a set of spanners for a very long time, if at all.
I had an intriguingly different reaction when I did some work at GM in the States a few years back. I had an electrical techie with me, and between us we piled into the job, getting our hands well and truly dirty. We hadn't any tools with us, though; the department foreman acted as our gopher, bringing us tools and materials, and he said, "Gee, it's great working with you guys. Our engineers never touch a car - all they do is write reports, make Vu-graphs, and attend meetings!"
Old 18th May 2015

Liked 115 Times in 69 Posts

If a manager or engineer can't get their hands dirty, in whatever field; design, construction, fixing, operating then it is difficult to be credible.

France is different slightly. Everyone has a job and don't go near if if it isn't yours. Each person had pride in what they are doing. It's not that I can't do your job, it's that we respect each other and we all play our part
Old 18th May 2015

Let me tell you a story! Leonard Lord, chief exec of Wolseley Cars, had a reputation for being a martinet. An apprentice there had been told to file four flats on a round bar. He was filing away, and felt eyes boring into his back. Turned round, and there was Lord, in his trademark three-piece suit. Took his jacket off, and held it out, "Hold that for me, lad." Grabbed the file, turned the bar around in the vice, and proceeded to file four perfect flats. "That's how you file flats on a bar, lad, and don't ever let me catch you doing it any other way, or you'll be out of that door!" The lad, being a typical youth, said, "You can't sack me, Sir, I'm an apprentice." Grabbed his coat, and with "I can sack any f^%^^r I like, and don't you forget it!" he stalked off. That apprentice remembered that lesson for the rest of his life.

However, whilst I was a manager a Jaguar, an edict went around that we were to be rotated around other departments. Someone said, how could we, we wouldn't know anything about what other departments did. The answer? "Managers don't need to know anything about what the people they manage do."

No wonder this country is in a mess....
Old 19th May 2015

Liked 2,403 Times in 1,583 Posts

I think I have just found a worthy contender for the title of 'Idle Profession of The Year'.

I would like to nominate recruitment agencies. They charge an arm and a leg for doing very little, and are so unhelpful it is unbelievable.

You find an interesting post on a recruitment website only to find the job is actually being advertised by another agency, so the first company has no information at all.

A search on Google quickly locates the agency concerned, with testimonials saying how wonderful they are; but they provide no contact details whatsoever other than to say they have an office in Manchester - which is quite a big place.

A phone number is given, but this no longer works, and an enquiry with BT shows that the company has gone ex-directory - presumably to save them from being bothered with phone calls from job applicants.

The job concerned is in 'Tyneside'; which is also quite a big place. Given the difficulties of crossing the river during the rush hour it would be immensely helpful to know which side of the river the business is located, but that would be asking too much.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 19th May 2015

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Which also, unfortunately opens the door (no pun intended) to cowboys! There is a growing shortage of professional engineers in the UK; that will probably force pay up in the longer term. But that shortage has come about because there have been poor prospects for advancement for engineers in this country - and indeed, for craftsmen - and given the hard work needed to become qualified, it has put off more and more young people from seeking engineering as a career. If you asked a young engineer in an interview what he saw himself doing (few women in engineering, still) in two years' time, the answer would be "I expect to be a manager" or "I want to be in sales". Rarely "I want to be a better engineer".

Professionals are CheckTrade registered and each has Certificates for Insurance and lots of positive referees !

Granted, there are many "Cowboys" [which seems exceedingly unfair to a wonderful profession in Texas and other US states they are so "fit" and boy can they ride ... taught glutes and lithe muscled ... uh hum sorry dreaming ... also exceedingly unfair to my FAV USA Football Team the "Dallas Cowboys"
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 19th May 2015

PS I expect to see masses of migrants here for the following Jobs

* Teachers

* Nursery Staff

* Teaching Assistants (if they are not abolished by the Govt.)

* Nurses

* Doctors

Plumbers

Builders

Electricians

Car Mechanics

Car Wash & Valet

* Those marked with * are particularly disturbing, as with OK English speaking ? and heavy foreign accents there will be errors ... which will cost rather a lot to put right

Please feel free to add more "Jobs" which the UK seems unable to generate enough future Applicants from UK schools

the ONE photo album
Old 19th May 2015

Quote:
I think I have just found a worthy contender for the title of 'Idle Profession of The Year'.

I would like to nominate recruitment agencies. They charge an arm and a leg for doing very little, and are so unhelpful it is unbelievable.

You find an interesting post on a recruitment website only to find the job is actually being advertised by another agency, so the first company has no information at all.

A search on Google quickly locates the agency concerned, with testimonials saying how wonderful they are; but they provide no contact details whatsoever other than to say they have an office in Manchester - which is quite a big place.

A phone number is given, but this no longer works, and an enquiry with BT shows that the company has gone ex-directory - presumably to save them from being bothered with phone calls from job applicants.

The job concerned is in 'Tyneside'; which is also quite a big place. Given the difficulties of crossing the river during the rush hour it would be immensely helpful to know which side of the river the business is located, but that would be asking too much.
Nigel, I have heard of this happening from 8 years ago ... down here in London and Shire Counties

the ONE photo album
Old 19th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
PS I expect to see masses of migrants here for the following Jobs

* Teachers

* Nursery Staff

* Teaching Assistants (if they are not abolished by the Govt.)

* Nurses

* Doctors

Plumbers

Builders

Electricians

Car Mechanics

Car Wash & Valet

* Those marked with * are particularly disturbing, as with OK English speaking ? and heavy foreign accents there will be errors ... which will cost rather a lot to put right

Please feel free to add more "Jobs" which the UK seems unable to generate enough future Applicants from UK schools
More likely they'll abolish teachers and keep the assistants!
We have a wash and valet firm locally and they are all foreigners. They do a good job though, and a roaring trade. But honestly, would you want to do it in freezing cold weather, for peanuts?
Nursing staff? Shouldn't think so - their credentials couldn't be checked (although, come to think of it....they wouldn't have ANY record here.....)
We've already got Polish plumbers and builders.
Electricians - dodgy. Standards are very different elsewhere. Not necessarily worse, just different.
Old 19th May 2015

Quote:

Yeah, and if you don't accept the first interview they suggest, many just ditch you.
Old 19th May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Professionals are CheckTrade registered and each has Certificates for Insurance and lots of positive referees !

Granted, there are many "Cowboys" [which seems exceedingly unfair to a wonderful profession in Texas and other US states they are so "fit" and boy can they ride ... taught glutes and lithe muscled ... uh hum sorry dreaming ... also exceedingly unfair to my FAV USA Football Team the "Dallas Cowboys"
Trouble is, a lot of people don't want to pay for "professionals". Anybody will do, so long as they are cheap. One of my hobbies, as you know is clock/watch repairs. Every clock I get, with very few exceptions, has been bodged. Often the result of looking someone who'll do it for a few quid, instead of getting it done properly.

The same applies to a lot of other trades as well - notably car repairers.