Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

View Poll Results: How do you shoot... JPG, RAW or Both...?
JPG only 2 2.94%
RAW only 42 61.76%
Both JPG and RAW 24 35.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th October 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How do you shoot, jpg, RAW or both?

I shoot Raw only unless I need to give someone the uncooked jpegs to preview which pics they want (like on a paid shoot, sometimes for product shots) ... Otherwise just Raw only these days.
Old 13th October 2008

Liked 871 Times in 286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk View Post
Yes. Looking at image quality you can get equal results. Lightroom has more bells and whistles and DAM but you pay for that. (way too much IMHO)

RawTherapee is a free program, the next version is coming soon. It is an excellent program to use in combination with PSP or PSE.

I do test most raw developer programs regularly (for personal use) and find that you can get excellent and comparable results from most of them.

As the area where I live and shoot my photo's has a lot of grassland the correct development of the different shades of grass-green is very important to me. None of the programs do a perfect job on this but some come very close, like RawTherapee and PSP X2 ultimate.

Cheers,
Henk
Thanks Henk -

I have downloaded RawThereapee, now all I have to do is take some Raw images.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 13th October 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I shoot mostly jpeg, I'm trying to work out why, but it's mainly because the RAW files from the E400 are so huge and I don't do a lot of editing.

If the light is challenging or it's a special, one-of occasion, I'll use RAW which gives me more leeway to get the picture right.

I haven't voted because my choices don't seem to be covered.
Old 14th October 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
I choose RAW

1) because I do not want the camera throwing away any information without my explicit and considered say-so. I paid for those pixels and I want to play with them.

2) because if I'm going to do a major change to colour tone by playing with the temperature then I want to do it before the camera has made judgements about compression etc. Why do I want to make these changes - well almost always for 'artistic reasons' - because I want a warmer/colder colour interpretation. Analagous to making a choice about film stock or colour filter - but done in the warm without fiddling about in the field.

3) because, on the rare occaisions I take what by my standards is a really good shot then I'll want to process it as a tiff to retain as much information as possible. Other shots I'll process as jpg (but with the raw files as a 'security'), to keep down disc usage.

4) Because raw processors such as RawTherapee can let you pull back some highlight information which gets lost in in-camera conversion.

But of course there isn't a 'correct' choice. It's what suits you and your requirements/style of working.

Nick
RAW only - like Nick said - why throw away the "negatives"?

Processed thru Lightroom 2.1rc (almost always), Lightzone (sometimes) or Raw Therapee (rarely), depending on what the file needs. If it needs further work, I usually export to Photoshop CS (as PSD) or PTLens / ShiftN as TIFF.

Since discovering this:

http://www.rawworkflow.com/blog/2008...-raw-ijfr.html

I would no longer bother shooting RAW+JPEG even if I wanted quick proofs.