Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 20th March 2013
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,503 Times in 2,140 Posts
Re: Golden Gate Bridge with a mildly funny story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post

THERE IS NOTHING GREAT ABOUT OLD AGE ! is there ?
No, but there's nothing great about the alternative either!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 20th March 2013

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

Super shots from an excellent camera...better than my efforts when visiting in 2011.
Re - enormous fancy pants camera....there is the beginnings of a move towards smaller cameras....see the Canon 6D - full frame and a smaller body than the 5DIII, I bet there will be more small DSLRs as time goes by....we are fortunate enough as early adopters to be able to stand back and watch laggards struggle with their kit.
I'm glad your condition is not as bad as you might have thought...just don't overdo it with the clonozipam
Old 20th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
John, my sister's diagnosis remains at "Parkinson's-like" because I guess she has only some of the symptoms.
One of the problems with Parkinson's is that there is still no definitive test to confirm diagnosis.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 20th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
Nice shots and interesting story Stewart

My wife had a disc in her neck replaced in her neck about a year ago. She has similiar problems in her legs. She was diagnosed with restless leg syndrome and was on medication for Parkinson to sort it. She is now off that medication and is doing well but still has lack of sensation in one and feelings randing from cold to being as describes as being on fire.

This all came to a head when she had a small fall when walking on a rocky flat section assending Helvelen.
Oh dear, sorry to hear about your wife, Alf. It's amazing how many people have a serious health problem.

Old 20th March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
The great positive about old age probs is that we have all those " been there, done that, got the t-shirt memories" and lots on film too.

If we had been " PRUDENT!" in our youth, all we would have now is the aches and pains, and wouldn't THAT be a miserable existance?

I do like to stay Positive
Oh yes, if there is a price to be paid for what we do when we are young then it is worth it! Just wish I'd discovered the benefit of walking poles (particularly on steep descents) much earlier than I did!

Old 20th March 2013

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

Last summer I saw an older gent with an adjustable-length ice axe, a Stubai, I think. He probably had fifteen or twenty years on me (I'm 57) and while I barely made it up and over the last 13,000' pass without falling on my face, other hikers said they saw him glissading with his axe down the snow pack on the other side (his wife was with him, too). At the time I thought such an axe would be the most butch hiking stick imaginable. Today, though, I have a regular hiking pole with a patch of velcro on top, and a patch on the bottom of the 410 with a little hole punched for a tripod stud. Just the thing for that little IS-free camera. But wish I'd had that hiking pole going down Lamarck Col...
Old 21st March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I take great comfort - especially when reviewing my catalog of busted or broken parts of my corporeal being - in the following quote from Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. (Yes, the strange and twisted HS hisself)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

John

Website @

http://trihelic.net/
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnI For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (21st March 2013)
Old 21st March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnI View Post
I take great comfort - especially when reviewing my catalog of busted or broken parts of my corporeal being - in the following quote from Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. (Yes, the strange and twisted HS hisself)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

John
Is that from "Hells Angels?" HST was an original, broke-the-mold-after-creation personalities, an excellent journalist, sorely missed...
Old 22nd March 2013

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,374 Times in 1,975 Posts

I have great admiration for you and your bridge pictures, Stewart. I followed some of your conversations with John, and yes he is a great guy too.

Love your last sectional shot with 'Frisco' beyond, it's refreshingly different.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 22nd March 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnI View Post

John
Way to go!

Old 22nd March 2013

Mark, you should have seen me fall apart two weeks ago. If I had a tenth of John's courage I'd buy a cape and launch a career as a superhero!
Old 22nd March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart G View Post
Is that from "Hells Angels?" HST was an original, broke-the-mold-after-creation personalities, an excellent journalist, sorely missed...
Stewart -

The only place I know that it finally officially surfaced in print was in HST's "Gonzo" (2007). However, "Gonzo" was a selection of stuff from the '70's through the '90's . . . and I know it was out there in the vernacular long before "Gonzo" was published; typical of the man's ouvre.

By the way, the origin of the saying has been attributed to everyone from various moto and car racers to the Pope, but despite the blatant and multiple thievery it is all Hunter's.

John

Website @

Old 22nd March 2013

Yup, he made quite an impact on modern culture.
Old 22nd March 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was first published in The Rolling Stone on 11 November 1969 . . . my birthday.

The Cosmic Lines of Occurrence are still there . . . just gone feral as any Being does when hunted for redwhiteandblue cultural sport.

John

Website @

Old 22nd March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Stewart
If the doctors want you to have an MRI scan of your spine - persuade them to send you to get an upright MRI, the machines are made by Fonar. Because the patient is standing up during the scan the spine is under load and so demonstrates the distortion that is happening.

The cost of the scans is a bit higher than conventional MRI scans but give much more useful spine information. The surgeon who has operated on my back a couple of times often sends his patients to the upright scanner in London so that he can get a better diagnosis. Mainly because I found out about Fonar via the internet and introduced him to the concept.

Incidentally I found out that I could fly to Miami and back to the UK for an upright scan for less than the scan cost in London, however that would have required a couple of longish flights in cattle class to keep the cost down.

To prepare yourself, Google terms like PLIF so that you can have the questions ready if you end up seeing a surgeon.

Re Motor Neurone Disease it may be an inherited problem, so I was a little concerned when I was sent off for the nerve test with the words - it might be etc, as my Mother had died of it 30 years previously. Being told it was not that was quite a bit of relief.
Derek, I forgot to thank you for this information. I bought a regular lie-down MRI back in December, but will look for the stand up option if I ever have another one.