Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 5th June 2012
Adam Easton

latest Project

Hi all

Whilst at a classic car event I noticed how the car manufacturers use chrome to make there cars unique. So I tried to put some images together as a small project to express this.

The title of the set is:

Chrome

Thanks for looking
Old 5th June 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Re: latest Project

Hi Adam,
You have set yourself a very difficult project there, photographing chrome successfully is very difficult. I love the idea and think it has potential to develop into a good set. I like the way you have focussed on the details and mono is definitely the way to go, in fact I would think they almost naturally mono. There is a problem with some of these in that there are areas where there is no detail i.e. blown highlights. I think that to be successful you would have to take these in very overcast days or be prepared to take several of the same image and merge. Your first image is IMHO the best of this set, good composition, interest and few blown highlights. In terms of the highlights it might be worth considering how you took this one and developing your style.

I hope that is helpful and I look forward to seeing your ideas and photographs develop.
Shirley
Old 5th June 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

A nice set which, as Shirley says, suits mono but is difficult to portray. The best example in this set is the Jaguar, which combines good exposure and control of highlights with a creative use of shallow DoF to make the big cat leap out.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 5th June 2012

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
A nice set which, as Shirley says, suits mono but is difficult to portray. The best example in this set is the Jaguar, which combines good exposure and control of highlights with a creative use of shallow DoF to make the big cat leap out.
I agree with Stephen about the composition and DOF but my eyes always go to the very bright area on the shoulder of the front leg, not sure if its completely blown but for me that area spoils the image.
Old 5th June 2012
Adam Easton

Thanks for your reply s.

The BMW was the image that inspired the idea for the project. As I have learnt it is hard not to get distancing reflections and as Shirley points out blown highlight. My thought is to use the shade from a reflector which I hope will offer a shield from reflections and reduce the hard light. I think the Jaguar will benefit from that leaving the natural contour to reflect though. I hope to re-shot it next month.

Please do not be afraid to post your thoughts as I take comments forward to develop ideas
Old 5th June 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Adam I have to ask which car is 2 from ? please
I too have a few probs but use bright overcast natural light and a matt black sheet of vinyl backdrop - but have some new "Ducati" wheels in Chrome to capture so appreciate your own and Shirleys comments !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 5th June 2012
Adam Easton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevvyf1 View Post
Adam I have to ask which car is 2 from ? please
I too have a few probs but use bright overcast natural light and a matt black sheet of vinyl backdrop - but have some new "Ducati" wheels in Chrome to capture so appreciate your own and Shirleys comments !
It was a ford hot rod. big chrome wheels V8. that sort of thing
Old 5th June 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

ahhh Adam, maybe a Ford Plymouth PROWLER ? thanks :-)
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album