Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 25th February 2008
PeterD

High ISO, Fast shutter speed, 70-300 lens

Hi all

mentioned in my post today that my challenge was to push the limits by shooting in shutter priority mode. This was also to check how the 70-300 performed when pushed.

Both shots below were at ISO 1000, shutter speed 1/1600, focal length 300mm. This resulted in an aperature size of F 9.0 for the first image and f5.6 for the second image.

These two birds had been singing at each other and I hoped that they would get closer so that I could photograph them together. No luck. Next time maybe

There was still some way to go and I still have not reached the limits but I am satisfied with these settings for now.

PeterD
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: High ISO, Fast shutter speed, 70-300 lens

Dear Peter,

These look most encouraging indeed, good stuff.

Cheers

Chris
Old 25th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainD View Post
Dear Peter,

These look most encouraging indeed, good stuff.

Cheers

Chris
Thanks Chris, What this is telling me is that even the Bigma should easily be OK with the E3. Oly have certainly made a nice job of this camera. Its up to us to catch up.

PeterD
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 896 Times in 408 Posts

Peter

Very nice. Gentle colour and very natural. You must be pleased.

I think the fence needs some paint though if you have a minute

Peter
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Great improvement, glad you are finally getting to the bottom of this (I felt a bit mean blaming your dog - pat him for me and say sorry).

I think you may be pushing the speed a bit high, I rarely shoot above about 1/250 and often about 1/160.

It hadn't occurred to me you were not shooting with shutter priority.

Keep going Peter.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 25th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Peter

Very nice. Gentle colour and very natural. You must be pleased.

I think the fence needs some paint though if you have a minute

Peter
Thanks for your comments Peter. You betcha I am pleased. I am loving this camera even more. From the very shaky start for us all, things are looking a lot brighter. I don't think you have to worry about the 70-300 lens at all. Thanks for your settings advice, it made a BIG difference too.
The output is virtually direct from the camera.

PeterD
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They're good, love the blown about feathers in the top one.

Were you using aperture priority before?
Old 25th February 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Thanks for your comments Peter. You betcha I am pleased. I am loving this camera even more. From the very shaky start for us all, things are looking a lot brighter. I don't think you have to worry about the 70-300 lens at all. Thanks for your settings advice, it made a BIG difference too.
The output is virtually direct from the camera.

PeterD
... care to share...?

Great shots Peter, lovely colours and bokeh in the first too.

Old 25th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
Great improvement, glad you are finally getting to the bottom of this (I felt a bit mean blaming your dog - pat him for me and say sorry).

I think you may be pushing the speed a bit high, I rarely shoot above about 1/250 and often about 1/160.

It hadn't occurred to me you were not shooting with shutter priority.

Keep going Peter.

Nick
Thanks Nick, Its the encouragement I have received on here that is driving me.

The reason I was pushing the shutter speed so high was two fold. I wanted to ensure any effects from movement of the subject and movement of the camera were eliminated or at least minimised and secondly, I wanted to see how much headroom I had when shooting. The results on both counts are good.

Remember where we were coming from, we did not trust our cameras and lenses. Rightfully too as both items have had to be replaced. I got it into my head that I needed to get good depth of field and hence started shooting with aperture priority. Focussing still seemed to be an issue but I found out the shutter speed that was being selected was too low for the type of shots I was trying to achieve. To cut a long story short, I am now sticking with shutter priority. Before shooting I check the aperature setting using the nice new screen on top (which I had previously ignored because it confused me) and adjust the ISO value for the DOF. Seems to work a treat.

Cheers

PeterD
Old 25th February 2008
PeterD

Thanks Ellie & John

Ellie, see above for the answer.

John, Peter suggested using +2 for in camera sharpening.

PeterD
Old 25th February 2008

Liked 896 Times in 408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Remember where we were coming from, we did not trust our cameras and lenses. Rightfully too as both items have had to be replaced. I got it into my head that I needed to get good depth of field and hence started shooting with aperture priority

PeterD
Peter

This is a big revelation to me too. I too really have been reacting to past problems and good advice from the past. Changing the sharpness setting felt counter to all of the warnings I feel I have read. It is really good to have you try it and agree.

I am still acting like I am compensating for the previous faulty camera. Part of me still expects to get home with a load of poor focussed shots. The mind is a strange place! Well done for getting past it.

Peter
Old 25th February 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by art frames View Post
Peter

This is a big revelation to me too. I too really have been reacting to past problems and good advice from the past. Changing the sharpness setting felt counter to all of the warnings I feel I have read. It is really good to have you try it and agree.

I am still acting like I am compensating for the previous faulty camera. Part of me still expects to get home with a load of poor focussed shots. The mind is a strange place! Well done for getting past it.

Peter
Peter,

Another bogey I have got rid of is shooting in C-AF. The two shots posted today, and others I have taken, were using C-AF.

What I have found and I am using as a rule, is to shoot C-AF in the open such as the sparrow images and shoot S-AF where bushes or other obsructions are present. The reason for this is obvious, the focussing system hunts if a twig or whatever is near the subject so you never know for sure whether the shot will be in or out of focus until you get home.

S-AF(s) on the other hand is precise in these conditions. OOF can be seen quite readily.

PeterD
Old 26th February 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

I really like these, Love the way you got the birds mouth open, superb.

That 70 - 300 is some lens for the price.
Old 26th February 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

Peter

I must admit that I always shoot in Apature priority but am very careful about my shutter speeds.I always try to use the rule of thumb that the shutter speed should be twice the focal length.In A mode if I cannot get a high enough I up the ISO.
Also I may be controversial here but I seem to get more consistant results with the IS turned off.I will only engage the IS if my shutter speed falls to much.

Glad you are happy with your results ,they look much better now.

Well done.

Practice makes perfect

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 26th February 2008
PeterD

Thanks Andy & Garrie

Andy,

When I think back to the film days, we had a fixed ISO and all we could vary was the aperture. Apart from remembering the focus issue, using Aperture seemed natural to me.
There is so much flexibility in digital each of us adopts our own styles. It really seemed unnatural to use shutter priority. The flexibility in being able to change the ISO settings for each shot is an absolute treat and seems to have little variation in results, shot to shot.

Peter D