Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 31st July 2009
Bonsaidad

Oriental Lilies

Some Oriental lilies that i have been waiting to bloom, there is one more to flower and post at a later date.

Comments and critique welcome.

Best regards Paul
Old 31st July 2009

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts
Re: Oriental Lilies

I like the look of these, and I would offer some advice to nudge towards perfection if I may..

It would be great if you got a much larger piece of background card and did the usual trick where the card sweeps from horizontal (under the figure) to vertical (behind the figure) in a smooth curve leaving no visible join. This isolates the flower and the image because the background is seamless.

I tend to use white or cream card - this is a cheap trick on my part. If I get any creases or marks on the card, I can usually get rid of them by over exposing the background lighting. Shhh :-)

A further thought about the 1st and 3rd images: I would prefer it to get all the flower in the frame. It may seem a small thing but cropping a single petal (or part of a tree for that matter) at the edge of a frame can take the sparkle off an otherwise excellent image.

Hope this helps.

Looking good though..

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 31st July 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,602 Times in 925 Posts

I use paper, as it don't crease the way mountboard will. However if you are setting up something for a big shoot, soaking the back of the board, forming it, then rolling it with a rolling pin works. To soak the board lay it on a wet towel to get even soaking or the colour changes in patches that are wettest.

I like the construct of the shots, well put together. You may want to experiment with multi- coloured lights - great fun.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 1st August 2009

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

OK

I don't really understand these

There are two shots with a figurine - but the figurine (while fine as an ornament) doesn't have the the degree of detail to match the flower (now a finely carved old weeping lady would have been a great accompaniement),

There is a very nice shot of an individual flower which I like, though I wonder if a different angle (the stalk coming through a corner) wouldn't have been stronger. But it's a lovely flower, suits the background and has been well caught.

The final shot - well my eye keeps going to the light leaf away from the flower, which is a pity as again the flower and background work well together.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 1st August 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
I like the look of these, and I would offer some advice to nudge towards perfection if I may..

It would be great if you got a much larger piece of background card and did the usual trick where the card sweeps from horizontal (under the figure) to vertical (behind the figure) in a smooth curve leaving no visible join. This isolates the flower and the image because the background is seamless.

I tend to use white or cream card - this is a cheap trick on my part. If I get any creases or marks on the card, I can usually get rid of them by over exposing the background lighting. Shhh :-)

A further thought about the 1st and 3rd images: I would prefer it to get all the flower in the frame. It may seem a small thing but cropping a single petal (or part of a tree for that matter) at the edge of a frame can take the sparkle off an otherwise excellent image.

Hope this helps.

Looking good though..

Pete

Thank you Pete for your kind words.
I must agree that getting the blooms all in the frame would look that much better, how to go about it is something i have to work out for myself as some stems are quite short, and i have to use grips to secure them.

Using the large piece of card as you suggested is a good idea, i have tried this before and i still have the card available.
Anyhow its quite cheap in the craft shop up town, but the colors i have so far are just black, and light blue, so i may buy some more.

Best regards Paul
Old 1st August 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I use paper, as it don't crease the way mountboard will. However if you are setting up something for a big shoot, soaking the back of the board, forming it, then rolling it with a rolling pin works. To soak the board lay it on a wet towel to get even soaking or the colour changes in patches that are wettest.

I like the construct of the shots, well put together. You may want to experiment with multi- coloured lights - great fun.

Thanks Graham for the tip on the BG formation, and i may try different lights to illuminate the BG as you suggested.

Best regards Paul
Old 1st August 2009
Bonsaidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
OK

I don't really understand these

There are two shots with a figurine - but the figurine (while fine as an ornament) doesn't have the the degree of detail to match the flower (now a finely carved old weeping lady would have been a great accompaniment),

There is a very nice shot of an individual flower which I like, though I wonder if a different angle (the stalk coming through a corner) wouldn't have been stronger. But it's a lovely flower, suits the background and has been well caught.

The final shot - well my eye keeps going to the light leaf away from the flower, which is a pity as again the flower and background work well together.

Nick
Ah, Nick thanks for the comments.
That light leaf is really a different petal of the other Lily bloom which i plan to shoot at a later date.
This particular bloom had some flaws that i felt i would not have been able to alter in PS, so i will wait until a few more open up.

Best regards Paul