Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 22nd August 2019

Liked 285 Times in 187 Posts
Re: Photography in Public Places

This original post was concerning a PCSO. It then became diverted to a discussion regarding Security Guards and private property and, in that respect has been adequately covered. I agree with Shenstone's comment that your encounter was probably due to an over enthusiastic PCSO.

It may be worth noting that PCSO's rights and powers vary greatly from region to region, as any such rights and powers are bestowed by the Chief Constable of the region employing them.

In situations such as the OP describes, being confronted by a PCSO, it is probably best to adopt the attitude of "discretion is the better part of valor", smile nicely and be agreeable. If you feel you have been treated wrongly or badly by the PCSO, you always have the right to make an official complaint to the police force concerned. In my experience, arguing with a lone PCSO or indeed a police officer on a one to one basis is a no win situation and usually a fruitless and pointless exercise.

Just make sure you get a good pic of his/her face and collar number

Jax
Old 22nd August 2019

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
In situations such as the OP describes, being confronted by a PCSO, it is probably best to adopt the attitude of "discretion is the better part of valor", smile nicely and be agreeable.

In my experience, arguing with a lone PCSO or indeed a police officer on a one to one basis is a no win situation and usually a fruitless and pointless exercise.

Jax
As a one time biker I was once given some very sound advice by a retired Traffic Officer. He said "never, ever try to be clever with 'the Old Bill'; whoever writes the script always gives us the best lines."

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jax (22nd August 2019), shotokan101 (22nd August 2019)
Old 22nd August 2019

Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts

This reminds me of a few years ago when I was taking photos of my grandson playing football in a council park for a local youth team. One of the team managers came to me and asked me what I was doing. So I told him that I was taking pictures of my grandson (with his mother/my daughter just down the pitch from me). He asked me to stop, using the argument that some of the other players were from broken homes, and there were privacy issues of them being photographed by their now-excluded father or mother.

Thanks to digital cameras I was able to show him that my images were of Archie rather than players in general, but it still seemed to be a rather restrictive attitude to take!

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
Old 22nd August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
He asked me to stop, using the argument that some of the other players were from broken homes, and there were privacy issues of them being photographed by their now-excluded father or mother.
This seems to be a catch-all argument nowadays; yet there is no problem taking the same photographs with a mobile phone.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd August 2019

Liked 114 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
This seems to be a catch-all argument nowadays; yet there is no problem taking the same photographs with a mobile phone.
No the catch all arguments are "you're causing harassment, alarm and distress...." and "with the current situation....." and also "we've had some complaints...."

Old 22nd August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan101 View Post
No the catch all arguments are "you're causing harassment, alarm and distress...." and "with the current situation....." and also "we've had some complaints...."

What 'current situation'?

And how can a camera cause alarm and distress?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 22nd August 2019

Liked 553 Times in 285 Posts

I still can't get my head around the fact that it's totally acceptable to use your phone camera, with all it's zoom and decent quality nowadays, but using a decent camera causes so much 'alarm', 'distress', complaints and worry.

I bet even using a compact camera wouldn't get complaints even though they are also more than capable.

It's just bullsh1t and over reaction, probably by people who think a DSLR is only used by pro's and people publishing pictures.
Old 22nd August 2019

Liked 746 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Well, according to the Daily Fail (or so I’m told) there is a paedophile on every street corner, every one.
Old 22nd August 2019

Quote:

It's the. Anti terrorism act catch all for "possible hostile surveillance" and the alarm and distress is supposed to be that the "complaints" wouldn't have been received from the (anonymous/non-existent?) members of tge public if they weren't

Have a quick search on YouTube for photographers and UK police - absolutely amazingly ignorant if their actual powers and responsibilities - though some of the photographers are obviously checking for a reaction to photographers by "auditing" the responses....
Old 22nd August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Well, according to the Daily Fail (or so I’m told) there is a paedophile on every street corner, every one.
....didn't that old joke actually say "........Resident In Every Small Town"
Jax (2nd September 2019), TimP (22nd August 2019)
Old 2nd September 2019

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaka View Post
An indictable offence is one which can be tried in the Crown Court and is therefore more serious than one with which the magistrates can deal.

An indictable offence is one which might, or might not, be tried in the Crown Court. There are two kinds of offences that come under the general heading of indictable.

“Indictable only” which MUST be tried in the Crown Court and “either-way” which, depending on the seriousness of the specific case, can be tried in Magistrates Court or the Crown Court.

There are also “summary only” offences which MUST be tried in Magistrates Courts.

Magistrates Courts deal with 90 to 95 % of all criminal cases.
shotokan101 (2nd September 2019)
Old 2nd September 2019

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:

A recent example – outline only because of confidentiality regulations that apply to health care.

A woman, so badly assaulted by her partner that she needed several hours of surgery and was then moved to a battered women's refuge as the attacker had not been caught. As soon as she was able, she ventured out in to the street to do some shopping only to see someone taking photos of her. It wasn't the attacker but she was afraid that it might be someone trying to identify her for the attacker. She ran back inside and several months later she is still too scared to go outside. Her recovery has been set back months.

The photographer was seen again a few days later and spoken to by police. He is a member of a local camera club and not connected with the attacker. Police were unable to reveal to him that she was resident in a battered women's refuge as the location of such places needs to remain as confidential as possible. The police officer – a keen photographer herself – suggested that he approach people, with camera pointed at the ground, and politely ask if it would be OK to take their photo. He laughed and walked away.
Old 2nd September 2019

While I appreciate those particular circumstances it's not really a very sensible suggestion now is it ?
Jax (2nd September 2019), Naughty Nigel (2nd September 2019)
Old 2nd September 2019

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

If your opinion is that the satisfaction you get from a street image is so great that you can ignore potential damage to other peoples mental health then go ahead.

Those who saw the Don McCullin program on TV not so long ago may remember that he did ask permission before taking street photos of people who would be aware that they were the subject. Doesn't seem to have done his work any harm.
Old 2nd September 2019

Liked 1,686 Times in 1,085 Posts

There's a huge back archive of photographs of children taking part in various public activities. With the current restrictions on these sort of photographs, the current generation of children are at risk of becoming 'The Invisible Generation'!

Jim
Jax (2nd September 2019), Naughty Nigel (2nd September 2019), Petrochemist (3rd September 2019), shotokan101 (2nd September 2019)