Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 13th May 2019

Liked 1,790 Times in 663 Posts
Printing

Looking at a few photos I've printed out recently and am trying to work out whether to buy a printer or use the local print company...

I've been looking at various printers but cannot make a decision!

I'd like to be able to print on fine art paper and card, as well as possibly the canvass stuff...

The Epson A3+ SC-P600 and A2 SC-P800 looks to answer every need I have plus several more (and PermaJet do papers and inks for those printers) has anyone any experience of the current crop of 7 and 8 colour printers out there?

I'm not bothered by all the wireless print options that Epson haven't quite got right as I would hard connect the printer to the computer.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 13th May 2019

Liked 282 Times in 145 Posts
Re: Printing

Hi Walti

This month’s Black & White Photography Magazine covers 6 labs in case that’s the way you go. I use Simlab, about £1.50 inc. VAT for 18”x 12” print. This means that I can reprint edits very cheaply, I like them, next day delivery if ordered by 1pm. Delivery is £5.50 regardless of number of prints. Customer service is good.

David
Walti (13th May 2019)
Old 13th May 2019

Liked 1,790 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post
Hi Walti

This monthís Black & White Photography Magazine covers 6 labs in case thatís the way you go. I use Simlab, about £1.50 inc. VAT for 18Ēx 12Ē print. This means that I can reprint edits very cheaply, I like them, next day delivery if ordered by 1pm. Delivery is £5.50 regardless of number of prints. Customer service is good.

David
Thanks,

Iíll dig up a copy from somewhere....

There is a little 2 man company locally and they are very good and supportive so I would support them if I can, but itís always good to look at what else is around!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 13th May 2019

Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts

I use a Canon Pixma Pro10-S and I am very happy with it. Print quality is superb, so much so it has been commented on twice in competitions. It's a big, heavy lump though with a fair footprint, and FWIW, the wireless facility works flawlessly.
Old 14th May 2019

Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Donkey View Post
I use a Canon Pima Pro10-S and I am very happy with it. Print quality is superb, so much so it has been commented on twice in competitions. It's a big, heavy lump though with a fair footprint, and FWIW, the wireless facility works flawlessly.
I agree, have one myself and it does produce a nice print, pigment rather than ink. Ink cartridges are expensive, but that applies to most printers.
Old 15th May 2019

Liked 194 Times in 132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
I agree, have one myself and it does produce a nice print, pigment rather than ink. Ink cartridges are expensive, but that applies to most printers.
Any idea roughly what ink price per page is? Obviously one adds on the cost of the paper too ...
Old 15th May 2019

Liked 282 Times in 145 Posts

Just a quick referral back to my earlier post regarding Simlab. Yesterday at 16.38 I received immediate acknowledgement of my order. Twenty seven prints on five different paper sizes. At 17.28, I received confirmation that the order had been completed. This morning I received a message that the package will be delivered today between 1pm and 2pm.

I have no connection with Simlab other than as a satisfied customer. Hope that this is useful.

David
Old 15th May 2019

Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Any idea roughly what ink price per page is? Obviously one adds on the cost of the paper too ...
There are many variables, not least the size of print and whether it is mono or poly. I've never felt the need to work it out because if I need to print I, as a pro have to do so. One cartridge supply site quotes 1.5p per print for genuine cartridges.
Old 15th May 2019

Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Sorry, I haven't got a clue
Not cheap because the cartridges are expensive, but its a hobby so don't really think about it in monetary terms