Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 23rd April 2019

Liked 721 Times in 303 Posts
Old Town Harbour, Raw vs JPEG

Rainy morning here in Puerto Del Carmen, so some quality MacBook time...

JPEG and Raw (respectively).... Which do you prefer?

Puerto Del Carmen Old Town Harbour
by Jason Hindle, on Flickr

Puerto Del Carmen Old Town Harbour
by Jason Hindle, on Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
chris (28th April 2019)
Old 23rd April 2019

Liked 737 Times in 493 Posts
Re: Old Town Harbour, Raw vs JPEG

I prefer the slightly warmer colour rendition in the second, and you seem to have brought out the shadows a bit better. But I'm sure you could have done both of those with the other file if you had wanted to, so it is a preference in treatment rather than method.

Which doesn't help much, does it

John
Old 23rd April 2019

Liked 4,055 Times in 1,489 Posts

There is a lot of confusion around Jpeg and Raw.

You can't view a Raw file, it is just the 0's and 1's from the sensor output. It needs to be interpreted by viewing software.
The 'camera jpeg' is that same raw data converted to a jpeg picture file by the camera's onboard computer using the method you preselect (vivid, B+W etc..) in the camera.

When you use the Raw data yourself to make a picture file (jpeg or Tiff or whatever) you are following the same process, but without the benefit of the in camera presets (unless you use the Oly software which has them in it). The Raw converter you use will have a myriad of adjustments to create the final picture to your taste.

Therefore the benefit of saving the Raw data (as well as the final picture (jpeg)) is the fact that you can go back and have another go and change anything (white balance etc...) you like. With just the jpeg you only have a limited amount of adjustment that can be done and still keep a reasonable "quality" image.

Sorry if you are still sucking on the egg...
The Following User Says Thank You to Beagletorque For This Useful Post:
pandora (23rd April 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
pdk42 (23rd April 2019), Wreckdiver (24th April 2019)
Old 23rd April 2019

Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,453 Posts
Liked 1,449 Times in 926 Posts

I prefer the slight extra saturation in the first one as it helps define some of the architectural details and the remote hills. With Beagletorque on the RAW versus JPEG conundrum. I often tweak the JPEG to suit unless there is some detail lost in the JPEG conversion that could be brought out by going back to the RAW before it gets converted to a JPEG to view.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 23rd April 2019

Liked 121 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagletorque View Post

When you use the Raw data yourself to make a picture file (jpeg or Tiff or whatever) you are following the same process, but without the benefit of the in camera presets (unless you use the Oly software which has them in it)

Lightroom also has the Olympus presets (in the Camera Calibration panel of the Develop module). These are almost certainly not the exact settings used by the camera but a close approximation using Lightroom's processing.

I have an import preset to apply "Camera Natural" during the import to get me a starting point close to what I'd get from the camera. If you don't do this, Lightroom uses "Adobe Standard" as the default for raw imports.
Old 23rd April 2019

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,495 Posts
Liked 4,383 Times in 1,981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
Rainy morning here in Puerto Del Carmen, so some quality MacBook time... JPEG and Raw (respectively).... Which do you prefer?
The first appears a tad sharper, Jason.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 24th April 2019

Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,328 Posts
Liked 2,422 Times in 1,144 Posts

There doesn't seem a great deal of difference between them really but if I had to choose I'd go for the second one as it seems to have better detail in the highlights eg the white boat hull. I assume that this is the one you developed from the raw file Jason?

Interesting LR comment from Steve about the adobe raw input settings vs Olympus settings. I didn't realise there was an option for them to be changed. How do you do it Steve? Maybe start another thread with the details and an eg of the difference it makes. I for one would be keen to understand it more.
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 121 Times in 80 Posts

Not sure it's worth a separate thread. Just go to the Develop module, move down to and open the Camera Calibration section of the RH panel and the Profile entry allows you to select the profile you want to use. The available entries change depending upon the camera used to shoot the current image.

You can't set the camera profile directly on import, so you need to create a develop preset. To do this, click the "+" sign at the RH end of the Presets section of the LH panel. Deselect everything except Process Version and Calibration and save the preset with a suitable name.

Now, in the Import panel, set the Develop Settings (in Apply During Import, RH panel) to your new preset. Also set any other things you might want (I add my copyright info using a Metadata preset. Finally, create an import preset using the Import Preset control at the centre bottom of the import panel.

You now have an import preset that sets the camera profile and whatever other presets you've added.

Hope that helps.

Added: As to the difference it makes, you should just experiment with the available presets in the Camera Calibration panel.
OM USer (24th April 2019), Phill D (25th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

How can you show a Raw file here? It would have to be a JPEG to post it in the first place. So both images are JPEGs

Steve
Old 24th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
How can you show a Raw file here? It would have to be a JPEG to post it in the first place. So both images are JPEGs

Steve
Oh dear. Second person to break rule 1 on this thread.
Old 24th April 2019

Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,453 Posts
Liked 1,449 Times in 926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
Well, you can't show a RAW directly but you could embed the RAW file or provide a link. I think we are discussing Straight Out Of the Camera (SOOC) which will include any camera settings and filters against a RAW file processed in post by any one of a number of editors which can output JPEG, bitmap, TIFF, GIF for display and inclusion in a forum post.

The different RAW processors will all render the RAW file in a slightly different way (the JPEG engine), take account of the camera settings or not, or apply their own settings. By manually taking charge of the RAW file rendering through post processor options you can bring out details that were lost in the original in camera JPEG engine.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 24th April 2019

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

The yellows and whites are a bit brighter in the first Jpeg than the second Jpeg, and since it is obviously a scene from a sunny day I prefer the first Jpeg.

Neither of those images is a RAW.
You cannot see a RAW file, it is image information to be rendered into an image format ... one of which is called Jpeg.
Wreckdiver (25th April 2019)
Old 24th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
The yellows and whites are a bit brighter in the first Jpeg than the second Jpeg, and since it is obviously a scene from a sunny day I prefer the first Jpeg.

Neither of those images is a RAW.
You cannot see a RAW file, it is image information to be rendered into an image format ... one of which is called Jpeg.
That makes you the third....
Old 25th April 2019

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Well, you can't show a RAW directly but you could embed the RAW file or provide a link. I
The raw file is a pure data file, it is not an image. The raw file has a JPEG "side-car" file attached which is what you see in camera. To see the image a JPEG or TIFF file has to be created.

What's this "1st rule" thing?

BTW, why "RAW"? It's not an acronym.

Steve
Old 25th April 2019

Liked 937 Times in 594 Posts

To be pedantic, you can't "see" a jpeg or tiff file either, they're ones and zeros just like a raw file. You need software to interpret the data and display it in a form that makes it a visible image. So in that sense, there's no difference between a raw file and a jpeg, they both need suitable software to display them as a visible image!
Ricoh (26th April 2019)