Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 26th March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using legacy lenses with an E-system camera

Could somebody say what you need to be able to use legacy lenses, and then give basic instructions about how to use them please.
Old 26th March 2009
mike_j

Re: Using legacy lenses with an E-system camera

I think it's all said here

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4708

I get adapters from here http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-CAMERA-PARTNERS

These are OK, no need to buy the expensive Oly one.
Old 26th March 2009
Administrator

Liked 1,602 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
Could somebody say what you need to be able to use legacy lenses, and then give basic instructions about how to use them please.
Once the adaptor is fitted to the lens and attached to the camera you have manual only focus. Exposure is either Manual or Aperture (stop down) mode

Personally I keep it simple and stick to manual. Focusing can be slightly tricky on longer lenses but that get better with practice or magnified live view

I use my Bellows Macro quite a bit, using the digital to set everything up and getting all the images I need then swapping to a film body if I want slides.

I think the 24mm f2.8 works the best, but I've also had reasonable results from a Sigma 600mm

Have fun.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 26th March 2009
MarkVarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
You need an adapter, one for each connection type of lens, for example we use nikon, pentax bayonet, & M42 so we have adapters for each. Konica Hexanon AR lenses don't need the adapter but do need modifying, lots of instructions around online.

once fitted you are manually focussing (some adapters are available that have a chip in allowing the use of the 'focus confirm' (half-press and focus, you get a beep and a flash when it's sharp) to aid focussing).

I usually shoot on Aperture priority (except when in the studio when it's on manual) and some lenses need stopping up or down.

look for lenses that have the switch for the iris so it's adjustable manually as the digital cameras don't have the mechanical connection to the iris.

note: infinity focus isn't usually, you either hit infinity before the limit of the focus or (irritatingly) before it.

PS, we have a 500mm mirror (which is a handfull), a 200mm (very useable for wildlife), a few 50mm's and some 28mm's, a fast 28 is an excellent buy in my opinion.
Old 28th March 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, I'm sure plenty of people will find this useful.

And thanks too for pointing out the other thread. I was sure something had been said somewhere or other but I couldn't find it in this new folder.