Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 25th October 2016

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts
So much for anti-virus software!

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA16-187A

Note: They state multiple critical vulnerabilities!

I remember reading some years ago on a security forum, that these products are viruses themselves, because they actually introduce security vulnerabilities.

Jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
mack100 (28th March 2018), OM USer (25th March 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
pandora (24th March 2018), Ross the fiddler (25th October 2016)
Old 25th October 2016

Thanked 1,129 Times in 706 Posts
Liked 1,469 Times in 734 Posts
Re: So much for anti-virus software!

So now we need an AV proggie to check an AV proggie to check an AV proggie, which raises the age old question on who checks the checkers?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 25th October 2016

Liked 1,687 Times in 1,086 Posts

The shame of it is that the only reason I know of for Linux users to use these AV checkers, is for mail handling as a service for Windows users.

Touch anything Windows and you get dirty!

Jim
Old 25th October 2016

Liked 233 Times in 201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
Touch anything Windows and you get dirty!

Jim
And you can never 'see through' dirty Windows'
Old 24th March 2018

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

In the light of the 'goings on', is it still safe to rely on Kaspersky? I have a copy running on my computer, just wondering. I wouldn't be suprised if it had crossed the minds of others too.

on flickr
Old 24th March 2018

Liked 3,820 Times in 1,764 Posts

Awhile back, I downloaded CCleaner onto the wife's pooter. It came with a dirty load as well. They have since fixed it, but it leaves you with a bad taste somewhere............

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 24th March 2018

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

I'm a software and computers guy and have been for all my working life. On my home computers, I've never used AV software and have yet to have a virus. My company of course does install AV (it would be negligent to do otherwise - imagine the lawyers with the fall out if a virus ever did damage any of our customers' data) but those in the know fully accept that AV is a pretty limited tool.

Windows gets a lot of negative publicity on security vulnerabilities, but it's by no means the only OS under threat. Mac OS has, according to some experts, got more high risk security holes than all versions of Windows put together. Linux doesn't escape either - there are plenty of malware threats that target that OS too, but it's usually servers that are targeted rather than desktops.

Windows gets all the publicity simply because it's by far the most dominant OS for general public use.

The best way to stay virus free is to develop a heightened sense of scepticism whenever you install or open stuff that's originated on the web. Never open EXE or MSI files in attachments to emails unless you're VERY sure you know where they come from. The same rule should be applied to any Microsoft Office document (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc). If you're installing software make sure it's from known reliable sources and if in any doubt pass it through one of the many online virus checkers.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
pandora (24th March 2018), Ricoh (24th March 2018)
Grumpy Hec (29th March 2018), jdal (25th March 2018), Otto (27th March 2018)
Old 24th March 2018

Thanks Paul, I wasn't aware of the risk from MS office documents, but I am now.

The main issue for me, and I suspect many others, is that I use on-line banking, which means typing passwords and security details. It has crossed my mind that I should have a separate computer (laptop) used uniquely for banking, nothing else, or somehow revert to branch level banking, if I can.

But regarding Kaspersky, can I trust the company?

on flickr
Old 24th March 2018

Liked 1,596 Times in 787 Posts

Its important to keep your software upto date. The major issues last year in lots of the public sector and utility companies computer systems was caused by them still running applications on windows XP systems.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ricoh (24th March 2018)
Old 24th March 2018

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
In the light of the 'goings on', is it still safe to rely on Kaspersky? I have a copy running on my computer, just wondering. I wouldn't be surprised if it had crossed the minds of others too.
Well Hilary used it and see what happened to her ... my advice, don't touch anything Russian, moreover, try to avoid anything Russian touching you!

I totally agree with Paul, develop a high degree of skepticism. I've been 'puting for over twenty years (sans AV) and never copped a virus except those that cause a runny nose. Although currently I'm running Trend Micro that some techie wiz talked me into almost a year ago (I'm sure he got a kickback). No threats detected and I'm not renewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I remember reading some years ago on a security forum, that these products are viruses themselves, because they actually introduce security vulnerabilities. Jim
Too true, and I suspect that the likes of Symantec and Norton, in particular, actually implant viruses in order to "catch them", thus impressing the user as to how invincible they are.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ricoh (24th March 2018)
Old 27th March 2018

Liked 936 Times in 593 Posts

Like Paul I don't use any A-V software and have only once encountered a virus - many years ago when I was stupid enough to click a link in an e-mail without examining it first. It launched a piece of code which sent out dozens of spam e-mails before I could switch the machine off. I know I bang on about Mailwasher but it really is a great way to keep e-mails with viral payloads off your system. A decent firewall ought to prevent malware arriving by "drive-by" attacks and dodgy web sites.

Files arriving as e-mail attachments should be regarded as suspect unless you know that the sender is genuine and you are expecting them. Spammers are very good at spoofing e-mail addresses and disguising the attachments.
Old 28th March 2018

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Windows gets a lot of negative publicity on security vulnerabilities, but it's by no means the only OS under threat. Mac OS has, according to some experts, got more high risk security holes than all versions of Windows put together.
As I see it there are two security risks associated with Mac OS's. Firstly, the dominance of Windows has meant that, up until now, hackers have always targeted Windows users simply because there are so many Windows PC's to choose from.

However, given the purported demographic of Mac users surely it is only a matter of time before they become the hackers' target of choice? Once this becomes fashionable the whole Mac infrastructure would be crippled before Mac users could bring themselves to acknowledge that there was a problem.

Indeed, I have little doubt that the greatest risk associated with Apple Mac computers is the users themselves, who have such complete and unshakeable trust in the infallibility of their computers that few of them would recognise a security risk even if it had bells and flashing lights on it!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Grumpy Hec (29th March 2018), Zuiko (31st March 2018)
Old 28th March 2018

The question I was trying to raise is can we trust Kaspersky given the recent events and potential retaliation from Russia?

on flickr
Old 28th March 2018

Liked 1,596 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
As I see it there are two security risks associated with Mac OS's. Firstly, the dominance of Windows has meant that, up until now, hackers have always targeted Windows users simply because there are so many Windows PC's to choose from.

However, given the purported demographic of Mac users surely it is only a matter of time before they become the hackers' target of choice? Once this becomes fashionable the whole Mac infrastructure would be crippled before Mac users could bring themselves to acknowledge that there was a problem.

Indeed, I have little doubt that the greatest risk associated with Apple Mac computers is the users themselves, who have such complete and unshakeable trust in the infallibility of their computers that few of them would recognise a security risk even if it had bells and flashing lights on it!

Seems this is another Windows is better than Mac post.

Let me guess which OS you use ?

I have an iMac desktop and also a laptop running Windows 10.

My Laptop takes between 1 to 2 hours every time I start it to do its compulsory updates before it can be used in any meaningful way. The system just sits there doing unknown stuff. I use my laptop for astrophotography because of the apps available and thats it, everything else is way easier on the Mac IMHO.

I am certainly not complacent about security but my Mac just works, does what it says on the tin and quietly prompts me when updates are available in the background without impacting my work. My Windows 10 laptop knows better and effectively stops me from using it whilst it forces me to update or else I have to disconnect from the web and take other steps to not update.

Maybe I am lucky but in over 15 years of switching to Mac I have never had an issue. I'm not complacent or boasting just stating my personal experience.

All computer systems are vulnerable, to a great extent it depends on the sites you visit. Mac is just different to Windows as are other Linux based OS. Debian, etc or even Mobile based systems like Android or IOS.

Windows based systems barely register in the mobile world ( i.e.the future) which has far more users.

Windows desktop systems certainly has/had a huge installed base and that isn't going away, but please don't blanket criticise users of other systems as all being unaware of security issues.

For Reference : I don't use or trust any anti virus software regardless of where its from. Even the term Virus is from the Windows world of the 90's. Todays nasties are much more dangerous.

My Flickr

Last edited by wornish; 28th March 2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 28th March 2018

Liked 2,405 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
The question I was trying to raise is can we trust Kaspersky given the recent events and potential retaliation from Russia?
The question is, should we trust Kaspersky any more, or less than other AV vendors?

On the basis that it takes one to catch one Kaspersky is probably as good as any other AV offering right now.

I have used American bloatware in the past which not only slowed my computer to a crawl but seemingly did nothing to protect it, other than bombarding me with fake virus alerts shortly before it was due to expire. I cannot think why.

When I switched to Kaspersky it found more than two-hundred nasties which had been lurking in the system for years, totally undetected by Norton, MacAfee or Dr Solomon's.

Kaspersky has been consistently highly rated in magazine reviews, and has minimal impact on system performance.

Does that mean I trust it implicitly? No it doesn't, but I doubt that I am No 1 on the KGB's hit list. It probably wouldn't be a good idea for government departments or banks to be using Kaspersky as their only means of security, but I don't see myself as a target.

I think we also need to be careful not to assume that every Russian has the same motives as the Russian President or the KGB.

Interestingly, there have also been security concerns involving suspected bugging of [North Korean made] Huawei devices (such as 4G dongles), to the point that The Whitehouse banned staff from using them.

Huawei is now becoming a major player in the mobile phone market, which means that in theory, Kim Jong-il could be watching your every move.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Ricoh (28th March 2018)