Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-520

Olympus E-520 E-520 specific discussion.

Old 4th January 2009
dennisg

Exclamation Camera Hand Grip and wrist support for E520 and Onuser Vertical grip.

I have given up on neck straps and always wanted to buy a camera hand grip. I own an E520 and attached is the Ownuser Vertical Grip. Does anyone use or know where I can purchase a grip where it will accommodate the camera and vertical grip combo?

I have shopped around and saw the Hakuba PH Camera Grip with Wrist support, KGP01. It is around 25 bucks and has a tripod plate included. Any opinions on this one? And does Olympus make one?

Nikon makes a nice one for 64 bucks, but to use with an Olympus rig? I think not!

Thanks for the help!!

Dennis G
Old 4th January 2009

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts
Re: Camera Hand Grip and wrist support for E520 and Onuser Vertical grip.

I've given up on neck straps as well; I actually detest them. I just use one of the standard cheap eBay hand straps on the E-510 with Ownuser grip and think it's ideal for me personally.

I just keep the fit snug and you can actually just hang the camera from your hand without gripping it in any way - so my camera is either in the bag, or in my hand, but definitely never hanging from my neck!

I think the things that wrap around your wrist and hand are a bit of overkill myself, plus you'll probably look like a total donkey walking around with one attached!

eBay strap - No harm in trying one for the 3.50 it'll cost you.
Old 5th January 2009

Liked 584 Times in 260 Posts

I have used a leather wrist support from Jacobs (I got it for 10, half price in the sale last January). I have had to revert to a neck strap as I had RSI in my right wrist (not from the camera!), but I did find it handy. My husband still uses his. I'm not sure how it would be with a vertical grip though. I've also seen an OpTech one that just wraps around your wrist. I have found their neck strap excellent.

Amanda
Old 5th January 2009
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I have one of the Op-Tech wrist straps which Mrs T refers to, and used it extensively till I discovered the Y Strap.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 5th January 2009
MarkVarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
eBay strap - No harm in trying one for the 3.50 it'll cost you.
I have one of those, didn't need the base plate as I have a battery grip, I found I had to modify it be removing and adding some stitching to that it sat at an angle otherwise it's awkward for your trigger finger.
Old 6th January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Op-Tech strap also has the advantage of helping keep your hand warm in cold weather. It's also very secure in use - much more so than the fleabay standard grip strap I adapted for my E1/HLD2. I use one of my E510 and by unclipping the joining-buckle-thingy in the grip, and keeping another termination on the other side of the camera you can still use it with a neck strap. I don't like neck straps but they are useful when you need your hands free (like getting and out of a boat f'rinstance).
Old 19th January 2009
dennisg

Thumbs up Re: Camera Hand Grip and wrist support for E520 and Onuser Vertical grip.

Well after asking you folks for suggestions, I bought a hand grip for the E520 and the vertical grip.

You will probably throw things my way because I boought a Canon grip. After going through all of your suggestions and surfing the web, I thought the E1 from Canon was the best.

I installed it on my rig and what is nice about it is that it has an extra eyelet on the top strap that connects to the cameras eyelet. The extra eyelet on the strap allows you to use it for a camera strap (neck) and the the other end of the neck strap attaches to the free eyelet on the left side of the camera. So you can use either one at the same time. Just buy quick release neck strap so that you will not have to fumble taking the neck strap on and off!

The pad is very soft and since I have large hands the strap is long enough for a lot of adjustments. The ends of the strap tuck in nicely and looks very neat. Thus you do not have these pig-tails hanging out.

The strap cost $26 US and although a little steep, it does the job!

So again thanks for your help! Please don't kill me for the Canon choice. The name is all in black and cannot be seen at all.

Dennis G
Old 19th January 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It'll be good to know how you get on with it. I've got a very thin wrist strap on my camera, but it isn't very comfy. I prefer it to having the camera round my neck and it's less obtrusive to carry too, but I could do with getting something more comfortable that doesn't bite into my wrist.

Would that work with an E400, basic camera?
Old 19th January 2009
dennisg

The hand grip strap needs a place for the bottom strap to secure to. The Vertical Grip add on adds a place on the bottom where you can thread through the bottom strap through.

There are others out there that are made for just the body and the bottom strap is attached to a metal pad that screws into the tripod threaded hole on the bottom of the camera's body.

You can go to www.gadgetinfinity.com. I think they have the one I just described.

Thanks.

Dennis G