Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 30th April 2014

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts
Whimbrel and Skylark.

We are fortunate this Spring to have quite a few Whimbrel stopping by on our reservoir to "refuel" on their long journey from their winter home on the African coasts to their breeding grounds in Northern Scotland and Iceland. I saw 4 on Saturday, 10 yesterday and at least 20 today. Today's bright sunshine provided some photo opportunities although they were quite distant from the hide resulting in 80% crops for these shots.

I had another bit of luck when strolling round the reserve. A Skylark shot up from the ground just in front of me (as they do) but instead of flying away obligingly landed on a nearby fence and posed. Again 80% crops but I was pleased to get the shots.

All taken with the E-M5 and 75-300mm.II

Thanks for looking.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Alpha1 (1st May 2014), brian1208 (30th April 2014), Maczero (1st May 2014), OM USer (1st May 2014)
Old 30th April 2014

Liked 3,132 Times in 890 Posts
Re: Whimbrel and Skylark.

I know what you mean by Skylarks shooting up from the ground in front of you Peter. There were loads of them doing this at Hickling last week and then disappearing on the ground again a few metres further on. They were too fast for me so you did well capturing this one on the fence.

Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (30th April 2014)
Old 30th April 2014

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Well done, Peter, never seen a Whimbrel in the flesh and never seen a Skylark that close
Old 30th April 2014

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

Wow lucky you ,nice shots

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
Old 30th April 2014

Many thanks Ron, David and Ed.

I guess some days you just get lucky.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 1st May 2014
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

Skylarks are frustratingly elusive so you did well to get this picture. The Whimbrel remind me of Curlews, do they have a similar call?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 1st May 2014

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,979 Posts

The Skylarks are amazing Peter, but what gets me is the dragonfly in the background! very well done

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 1st May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Skylarks are frustratingly elusive so you did well to get this picture. The Whimbrel remind me of Curlews, do they have a similar call?
Thanks John.

Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus) is closely related to the Curlew (Numenius arquata) but is smaller with a less curved bill and darker eye stripe and a distinctive light crown stripe. The call is not as nice as the Curlew's, my book describes it as "begins like the Curlew's but breaks into bubbling, long-drawn-out, straight trill, lacking Curlew's pulsating rythm and has a more woeful ring".

Regards.

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 1st May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
The Skylarks are amazing Peter, but what gets me is the dragonfly in the background! very well done
Thanks Mark.

He he, the "dragonfly" is actually a midge. There were thousands of the pesky things but fortunately they are not the ones that bite. Here's the original full frame which shows them and the crop before I spent some time with the healing tool to get rid of them.

Regards.

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 1st May 2014

Location: South Wales UK at the foot of the Beacons - Merthyr Tydfil
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Peter,

Skylark is wonderful; I really like your photo. I'm new to this photography Lark (no pun intended) and I'm a wee bit ignorant about the things it's possible to do to your photos to improve them! I noticed you cropped the photo above by some 80% and what a difference to the original photo.

I only have the knowledge to take some photos and get them on to a photo host = FlickR.. What does one need to enhance ones photos? How do you crop down the photos? Is there another download that I need; or should have on my computer to achieve the quality of photos that your producing. Thanks
Moss
Old 1st May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
Peter,

Skylark is wonderful; I really like your photo. I'm new to this photography Lark (no pun intended) and I'm a wee bit ignorant about the things it's possible to do to your photos to improve them! I noticed you cropped the photo above by some 80% and what a difference to the original photo.

I only have the knowledge to take some photos and get them on to a photo host = FlickR.. What does one need to enhance ones photos? How do you crop down the photos? Is there another download that I need; or should have on my computer to achieve the quality of photos that your producing. Thanks
Moss
Hi Moss and a belated welcome to the group.

To "improve"/edit or simply change your photos to your liking you need a bit of software to do "post processing" (PP) .One example of this is Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop Elements but you already have a basic programme which came on the disc with your camera called Olympus Viewer 3. This is fairly basic and not too many of us use it but it will certainly allow you to crop photos and a few other things.. Install this programme on your computer and look for the "EDIT" symbol (it looks like a pencil) at the RHS of the top bar. Click on this and a list of the things you can change will drop down.One of these is "crop" and when you click on this a box with 8 dots on it will appear around the photo. Drag any one of these dots and you will see the area of the photo change.

Being a cheapeskate and not wanting to pay Adobe money I (and quite a few other members) use a free downloadable programme called FastStone which is more capable and,I think easier to use than OV 3.I would recommend you start by experimenting with one of these programmes to find out what you can achieve.

I'm sure you will come up with more questions but members here are always happy to help.

Regards.

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
The Following User Liked This Post:
pandora (1st May 2014)
Old 1st May 2014

Location: South Wales UK at the foot of the Beacons - Merthyr Tydfil
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hi peter,

Thanks for the reply. Would FastStone Photo Viewer be suitable to run with FireFox as my browser. Yup I use Firefox ! How difficult is the facility on Oly 3, viewer to master?
Old 1st May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
Hi peter,

Thanks for the reply. Would FastStone Photo Viewer be suitable to run with FireFox as my browser. Yup I use Firefox ! How difficult is the facility on Oly 3, viewer to master?
I use Firefox too but that has nothing to do with post processing. You need to process/edit your photos on the computer first before uploading them anywhere via the internet. Personally I don't use Flickr or any other host, I store all my photos on my PC (I have a separate external Hard Drive for all my photos) so I can go back and re-edit in the future if I want to. Here's an outline of my "workflow".

1/ Download photos on to the computer by using a card reader ( I have one built into my PC). You can download from the camera via the supplied lead but I prefer to go directly from the card. Olympus viewer has a facility to do the download.

2/ Edit each photo and save as a JPEG with a new file reference. e.g. add "-1" or "-a". This way you keep the original file for later use and have the edited version for sharing/printing etc.

3/ The only sharing I do is with this group via the free Gallery Space that you have as a member. However you can also link images from Flickr to your posts if you wish.

OV 3 is not difficult to master. If you click on the "Help" button it brings up a manual which explains how to use all the functions of the the software.The best way to learn is simply to give it a try and experiment.

Regards.

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Old 1st May 2014

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

Glad you explained you cloned out the flies I thought you were using a .............. Without having the sensor cleaner working.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 1st May 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cracking Skylark, great bird