Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th February 2014

Liked 85 Times in 24 Posts
Might be of interest to E-1 fans

Not posted much in a while - I've taken about 3 photos since the beginning of November - which were all today and all pretty rubbish - but thought I'd chip in with this as it might interest a few of you.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2014/02/07...3-olympus-e-1/

I guess the future ain't exactly what it used to be...

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to snag2000 For This Useful Post:
Homer Simpson (16th February 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Homer Simpson (16th February 2014), Ianf (16th February 2014)
Old 15th February 2014

Liked 82 Times in 30 Posts
Re: Might be of interest to E-1 fans

An interesting article. I've owned an E-1 and probably will do again. For me, I think the salient point in the article is having to slow down and concentrate on composition rather than relying on the technology in camera to correct a snap shot. I have just bought a DP2 Merrill and the images are incredible but must be planned for best effect.

"Having to work on shot discipline to make the most of your pixels and get your exposure right is not a bad thing at all, and these are skills that will continue to serve well when moving up the image quality ladder."

Thanks for posting it.
Old 15th February 2014

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Still using my E-1 on a daily basis and enjoying it. A true photographers camera in that you have to input your own expertise to get the best out. Long may it continue.
I have, and have sold, many A3+ prints from the E-1 with no problem, the art is in HOW you resize you just need patience.
Old 15th February 2014

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Mike,
Another vote for the E1 from me as well. I bought a second-hand E1 as a back-up to my 620 a couple of years ago. A lovely camera, but one that I don't use nearly enough. After reading the very interesting article, perhaps I should use it more.
Thanks.
Lee.
Old 16th February 2014

Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts

The E-1 is a lovely camera. I am forced to use mine for the next 2 weeks at least, until my M-10 arrives. Hoping for good weather so I don't have to get wet, I know the camera won't mind!
Old 16th February 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I think there is a real tension assistive technology that does it all at the push of a button, and something you need some knowledge, skills and experience in order to become accomplished. the Nikon 1v1 has both, an option that will do a number of exposures and then select the best for you. Personally I don't like the idea of this but I can see the possibility of this being a welcome feature for some, and more people taking photographs can only be a good thing.

I am with others who think the camera is a brush you need to wield but you first need to understand something of composition and what you are trying to express. There has to be some risk because of the natural dynamism of a photographic environment cannot be controlled.

IMHO I think he argument about the EM1 could be made about any camera but not any photographer.

I think my em1 is terrific, my personal aspiration is to be able to live up to it's creative potential one day.
Old 16th February 2014

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts

I will be honest, I would love an E3 / E5 but I will NEVER get rid of my E1, she was my first serious DSLR (after my first love, OM2 N ).
Big yes vote from me.
E3, HLD-4, ED 14-45, ED 40 - 150, ED 70 - 300, 35 Macro, Zuiko 50 -1:8, EC14, FL36, i-shoot remote trigger, RM-CB1, T20, Lightroom 5, Elements 9, Slik 800G Deluxe, Jessops MP223 Monopod, Tamrac Expedition 3, Tamrac System 3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-piccys/. Twitter @ian_double_one
Old 16th February 2014

Liked 1,323 Times in 796 Posts

I now regret selling my E-1. It would have been a nice body for my manual focus primes since going retro and abandoning my 4/3 glass.

David M's Photoblog
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ianf (16th February 2014)
Old 16th February 2014

Liked 85 Times in 24 Posts

I've often thought about picking up an E-1 - the only thing that has stopped me is a concern about the resolution, but it's probably a concern over nothing. I imagine the cameras have probably depreciated as far as they're going to, so you're unlikely to lose much by picking one up and selling again later.

Since I've decided against going micro 4/3 for now, maybe I'll pick up some old 4/3 bodies instead - I could buy an E-1, E-5, E-300 & E-400 for the price of an EM-1…

Mike
Old 16th February 2014

Liked 106 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snag2000 View Post
I've often thought about picking up an E-1 - the only thing that has stopped me is a concern about the resolution, but it's probably a concern over nothing. I imagine the cameras have probably depreciated as far as they're going to, so you're unlikely to lose much by picking one up and selling again later.

Since I've decided against going micro 4/3 for now, maybe I'll pick up some old 4/3 bodies instead - I could buy an E-1, E-5, E-300 & E-400 for the price of an EM-1

Mike
Here are a couple from this afternoon. Resolution not to bad. I may have over sharpened the second one a bit.

The Following User Liked This Post:
Ianf (16th February 2014)
Old 16th February 2014

Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts

Hopefully this post might start up some chat about the E1.
I'm lonely over there viewing that forum segment

I keep eyeing up the latest stuff folks here keep raving about but I've only got to handle my E1 and think Nah!
The E1 far out functions my ability and I'm old enough & wise enough to know you can't buy skill.

I took the E520 to Rome in September and it still blows me away, so sorry Olympus you won't be getting any more money out of me.
Ianf (19th February 2014)
Old 17th February 2014

Liked 90 Times in 39 Posts

By strange coincidence I used my E-1 today for the first time since last August. I love how quiet it is compared to the E-3 or E-5 and how naturally it seems to sit in the hand. I did struggle a little with manual focus using the OM 90mm f/2 because the viewfinder magnification is lower but that could just be my eyes getting older

I also had the E-M1 along with me as I now have the MF-2 adaptor and I was impressed at how easy manual focussing was with the EVF. I didn't switch on any of the aids so it will be interesting to give them a whirl another day to see what they do.

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 17th February 2014

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

It's an affectionate article, tho there's nothing I'd call nostalgic about an E-1. It's simply a better camera for those who prefer using it, even today. For me, the resolution is more than enough, the lcd plenty large enough, too. And the technical features that have been surpassed by modern cameras are still quite enough technology for me. And it doesn't hurt that I could buy seven mint E-1s for what an EM-1 costs. In fact I just bought my "1" a ten year birthday present: a nearly new 14-54 mk1. A happy reunion...
Old 17th February 2014

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

Blinded by love....i think that's my problem!
Ianf (19th February 2014)
Old 17th February 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

i am still trying to get hold of an e-1, want to play around with the kodak sensor.
(under sun light)