Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 23rd October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm at a bit of a Crossroads

Title says it all really. As I've lost my E-3 and pro lenses I'm almost starting from scratch. I can't afford an E-5 and would still have to replace the pro lenses anyway. I've been thinking that it might be better for me to shift focus and I've started looking at the Panasonic G3 with kit lens and adding the Panasonic 45-200 lens. I think this would be enough for going on with and I could get the lot for approx 650. Anyone any views on this that could give me some pointers? Particularly low light performance and image quality on the 45-200 range versus the 50-200?
Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011

Liked 866 Times in 242 Posts
Re: I'm at a bit of a Crossroads

Hi Jamie
I think Paul (Woofmix) who was with us on Skye has a G3 and raves about his switch to Micro 4/3s so he is probably a good person to ask?
Iain

E-M5 II, E-M1, E-M1 II, 7.5, 8-18, 12-40, 25, 40-150, 45, 60, 300

Website
Flickr
Old 24th October 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie allan View Post
... Panasonic G3 with kit lens ...
Although I'm sure plenty of folk with this camera rave about it, I've seen numerous posts on DPReview where new users are confused with blurred pictures, unpleasant skin tones and general poor-quality-copy problems with that 14-42 lens. I appears to me that there seem to be two versions of the 14-42 :@ good and bad.

These links might be a bit confused, but they're relevant.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...9038068&page=1

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=39203161

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...9088362&page=1

I was all for getting a G3 to replace the G1 I use with manual-focus lenses but initial impressions gave me less pleasing test photos, and certainly not the 'advertised' better jpegs and more resolution.
Other folk find the G3 wonderful.

Buy a cheap e-pL1 and see what the new Pens are about, then sell it on when you know what to buy next ...
Old 24th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Buy a cheap e-pL1 and see what the new Pens are about, then sell it on when you know what to buy next ...
Ulfric,
I do not like using liveview and the screen to focus - I much prefer a viewfinder. It really does not feel right to me to hold the camera away from me whilst taking a photograph - everyone to their own preference. I'd also like that viewfinder to be an intrinsic part of the camera rather than an add on.
I've just spent my lunch hour playing with the G3 in Dixons at Edinburgh Airport. On first impressions it's not for me.
I think I'll just work with my E-600/14-42/40-150 for now and see how it goes
Old 24th October 2011

Liked 1,328 Times in 505 Posts

Quote:
I do not like using liveview and the screen to focus - I much prefer a viewfinder. It really does not feel right to me to hold the camera away from me whilst taking a photograph - everyone to their own preference. I'd also like that viewfinder to be an intrinsic part of the camera rather than an add on.
I'm right with you on this one. I'm waiting for an Oly m4/3 with a good built in EVF. I see Nikon did it with their new small camera, why not Oly?

P

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snaarman For This Useful Post:
jamie allan (24th October 2011), Wee man (24th October 2011)
Old 24th October 2011

Liked 176 Times in 58 Posts

Hi Jamie
Not able to give you any advice I'm afraid as have always used (D)SLRs. Just wanted to pass on my sympathies with having all of your gear robbed (missed your initial post) - I know I would be both raging and heartbroken in the same circumstances.

I can fully appreciate you wanting a viewfinder; I have yet to find an EVF that comes anywhere close to an optical one and as you say using the main screen just 'doesn't feel right'. I did experiment with live view at the weekend when I was using a tripod and and ND grads and actually found things easier in those circumstances so I may end up using the screen a little more in the future but reckon I will always be a traditionalist and use the OVF primarily.

Best of luck with rebuilding your system.

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoates/
Old 24th October 2011

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

I suppose the other question is do you want to re-invest in classic 43 at this point in time, even if you could justify the money... with all the hoo-ha over Olympus's "creative accountancy" we don't yet know if this will all blow over or send Olympus down the pan, and if (as some people speculate) Panasonic were to buy out Oly's imaging division then classic 43 will be the first against the wall...
Old 24th October 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

At no moment was I implying you would use the e-pL1 without the VF-2 viewfinder. I don't!
Quote:
Ulfric,
I do not like using liveview and the screen to focus - I much prefer a viewfinder.

... I'd also like that viewfinder to be an intrinsic part of the camera rather than an add on.
Your choice.
Buy a cheap used G1. I did.
Old 24th October 2011

Hi Jamie
I've got the E-620 and find it a bit more manageable with the HLD-5 battery grip as I have big hands; I'm not sure if this is something you have considered, but they are dirt cheap in the Oly shop?
Regards
Iain

Website
Flickr
Old 24th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMacD View Post
Hi Jamie
I've got the E-620 and find it a bit more manageable with the HLD-5 battery grip as I have big hands; I'm not sure if this is something you have considered, but they are dirt cheap in the Oly shop?
Regards
Iain
Iain,
Thanks for this - I've got the E-600 and the battery grip - like you my hands are big. I think I've decided that I will probably save for the pro lenses (14-54 and 50-200) first and use them on the E-600. I don't think I tried my 50-200 on the E-600 before it was stolen - how do you find the balance with it on your E-620?
Old 24th October 2011

I like it, but I have never had something like the E3 to compare it too. I have the 12-60 on most of the time and that feels really well balanced in fact better on the 620+grip than on the 510.
The E-6X0 will never give the quality of the E-X range, but I find it a very flexible set-up, it is great for travelling light - I remove the grip and slap on the 25mm pancake and I bet it isn't much bigger than some of the Panny Gs.
You have some big decisions to make and I don't envy you, but maybe you can pick up the lenses you want second hand at good prices, sit tight for a while and see what happens with future Oly developments (if there are any!)
Good luck
Iain
p.s. if we get the chance to meet up again in the near future (there is talk of a Caingorms trip?) you would be more than welcome to try out any lenses.

Website
Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to IainMacD For This Useful Post:
jamie allan (24th October 2011)
Old 25th October 2011

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

Jamie
I use the E620 with the grip and the 12-60 and 50-200. I often take the tripod collar off the latter when I know I will not we using a tri/monopod. I find it better balanced for handheld shots and the collar is bl***y heavy so it saves a bit of weight.
Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to maccabeej For This Useful Post:
jamie allan (25th October 2011)
Old 25th October 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,543 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,755 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
I suppose the other question is do you want to re-invest in classic 43 at this point in time, even if you could justify the money... with all the hoo-ha over Olympus's "creative accountancy" we don't yet know if this will all blow over or send Olympus down the pan, and if (as some people speculate) Panasonic were to buy out Oly's imaging division then classic 43 will be the first against the wall...
Does this really matter? The cameras won't stop working in sympathy with any negative news on the corporate front.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 25th October 2011

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Does this really matter? The cameras won't stop working in sympathy with any negative news on the corporate front.
I'm not saying they will (my E1 and E510 are still going strong) but if I was looking to buy into a system from scratch it would certainly cross my mind.
Old 25th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
I'm not saying they will (my E1 and E510 are still going strong) but if I was looking to buy into a system from scratch it would certainly cross my mind.
Tim,
Thanks for your input. It would probably be easier to make a decision like that if I didn't have any E-series kit left. I've still got an E-600/14-42/40-150/35mm/FL36 so have a working E-system. I've spent a couple of hours now at Dixons and I think that I've looked at all the options they have. I appreciate that technology has moved on and that most new cameras high ISO options leave anything E-systems but the E-5 behind. But I cannot seem to like or like the handling of what's on offer. Unless of course I had plenty of cash to spare and went for top end equipment. Unfortunately I don't - but if I did I'd still lean towards the E-5 I think. One thing I would say about the Dixons display they have a Canon 60D with its grip rubber falling off and a Canon 7D which looks like the grip rubber has been stuck back on. Not a good selling point.

Maybe I'll need to start doing the lottery.