Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 8th October 2011

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts
Hotshoe Flash Portrait!

I don't do hotshoe flash - well I might more now. Metz 48 AF-1 on the hotshoe with a black foamie thing attached - I had literally two minutes to get the camera out and get set up before the gaggle of girls ran out the door for a birthday party.

This one probably the best as I was quickly moving the flash head around to point it in different directions to see what the effect would be - this was pointing up and behind me and slightly to the side - actually bounced off gloss white kitchen units and the ceiling!

I know the cropping and background are rubbish, but I was still pleased with the relatively shadowless effect of the lighting for on-camera flash, especially considering she's only about two feet from a white background.... thanks to Cynthia for the nice pose!

All I want now is that bloody 45mm F1.8....

E-PL2 & 20mm F1.7 @ F5.6 - flash on TTL +0.7EV

Old 8th October 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: Hotshoe Flash Portrait!

This is very nice indeed Derek and as you have found using bounce flash from a large white surface creates a great diffused light similar to a softbox.

The skin tones are superb and I know how difficult it is to light dark skin in the studio.

The only thing that lets it down for me is not the doorway but the white sticker behind her, time to bring out the clone tool.

By the way the young lady is very beautiful if you do not mind me saying so.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 8th October 2011

Thanks, Paul - I may well get out the clone stamp tool, although it looks like a bit of a job with that hair!!

Yup, dark skin is normally a total nightmare with flash - hot spots galore! This is actually a better result than I would get with my old 60" octobox and a studio head....

Yeah, Cynthia is very pretty indeed, although I was a bit spoilt having five of them to choose from last night! The only thing is, the prettier they are the bigger the mess they seem to leave behind them - the house looked like it had been nuked by the time they all left!
Old 12th November 2011

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Those black foamie things look very interesting - thanks for the link. Can I ask what you made yours out of?
Old 12th November 2011

Liked 721 Times in 303 Posts

This is super. A question from a flash noob: What is the black foamie thing used for? Is it to redirect the light? Or is it (as it appears to be from the photo in your link) to modify it? Did this affect the white balance you needed to set (or did you just set WB to Flash)?
Old 12th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
This is super. A question from a flash noob: What is the black foamie thing used for? Is it to redirect the light? Or is it (as it appears to be from the photo in your link) to modify it? Did this affect the white balance you needed to set (or did you just set WB to Flash)?
Not really to redirect the light as this is achieved by pointing the flash head somewhere apart from at the subject directly, but more just to ensure that no direct flash falls on the subject. You can see a video of how it's used here - it's the most simplistic thing you can think of, but probably one of the most effective.

It doesn't have any effect on the WB at all, but what you are bouncing the flash from may well do if it's not white, although this is easily corrected in post if you shoot in RAW....
The Following User Says Thank You to DekHog For This Useful Post:
Internaut (12th November 2011)
Old 12th November 2011

Liked 721 Times in 303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
Not really to redirect the light as this is achieved by pointing the flash head somewhere apart from at the subject directly, but more just to ensure that no direct flash falls on the subject. You can see a video of how it's used here - it's the most simplistic thing you can think of, but probably one of the most effective.

It doesn't have any effect on the WB at all, but what you are bouncing the flash from may well do if it's not white, although this is easily corrected in post if you shoot in RAW....
The video was excellent - very instructive. Thanks.
Old 12th November 2011

Liked 176 Times in 58 Posts

I have heard of 'flags' before but never seem them in use or appreciated what a difference they could make. That video was excellent and the 'black foamie thing' so easy to reproduce. Thanks for posting.

Oh, and your portrait is VERY nice too!

E-M1 Mk II, E-5, E-510, 9-18mm f4-5.6, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II, 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD, 5omm f2, EC-14, 14-42mm, 40-150mm, Velbon GEO E640L/PHD64Q, METZ 48 AF-1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoates/
Old 12th November 2011

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks for all this - brilliant. The info about the 'black foamie thing' and the video are excellent. The lighting on the portrait is first class and despite using the BFT and stopping direct flash falling on the subject you've still got 'catch' lights in her eyes - is this from the surface that you have bounced the flash on?
Old 12th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchwork View Post
Thanks for all this - brilliant. The info about the 'black foamie thing' and the video are excellent. The lighting on the portrait is first class and despite using the BFT and stopping direct flash falling on the subject you've still got 'catch' lights in her eyes - is this from the surface that you have bounced the flash on?
Yup, no PP to add catchlights or anything like that - they just happened naturally and these are from the gloss white kitchen units at the side that some of the flash bounced from - nice that they gave the catchlights and the remainder of the light bounced from the wall/ceiling gave the nice soft light all over the subject.... probably something you could do regularly if you took a few notes of rough angle and direction of the flash head when shooting.
Old 12th November 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by meach View Post
Those black foamie things look very interesting - thanks for the link. Can I ask what you made yours out of?
Sorry, never noticed this post earlier - mine was made from a very thin black mouse mat that I folded in half and then glued the two sides together.. They sold them in Poundland for a while and I picked up a few for things like this so had a few kicking around when I tried it.

At the bottom of the video link above there's another guy in a short video showing how he uses black velvet - no elastic band required with this. I had some velcro strip on the flash head for gels anyway, so just used a self-adhesive piece of velcro on the mouse mat I'd used, so they velcro together rather than use a band. No benefit to this, just personal preference.
Old 12th November 2011

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
Sorry, never noticed this post earlier - mine was made from a very thin black mouse mat that I folded in half and then glued the two sides together.. They sold them in Poundland for a while and I picked up a few for things like this so had a few kicking around when I tried it.

At the bottom of the video link above there's another guy in a short video showing how he uses black velvet - no elastic band required with this. I had some velcro strip on the flash head for gels anyway, so just used a self-adhesive piece of velcro on the mouse mat I'd used, so they velcro together rather than use a band. No benefit to this, just personal preference.
Thanks Derek