Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 11th May 2011

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts
Portable backdrop

Does anyone know where I can get a small, white, collapsible backdrop for portrait work? I am looking for something no bigger than say 1m square max, it's just for head and shoulder passport type photos. Something like these 5 in 1 collapsible reflectors - the white surface of these could do at a pinch but they don't have a crease free surface.

Any suggestions appreciated

Steve
Old 11th May 2011

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Portable backdrop

I have white linen one side/vinyl the other 1m from fabric shop, stuck to, and wound around a 1m length of broom handle and I keep it rolled up inside a length of kitchen waste drainpipe ! It can hang over the top of a door, with the portrait subject standing up or on a chair(latter for children!).

I have *two screws, one in each end and it can be hung from a curtain rail by some piping cord/string or over a chair back, or between two Tripods it looks real prof Its "Ever ready/no creases". It takes up no more room than a golf brolly

I have "soft foam covered pegs" and can peg any fabric/backdrop to it ! from my little back of backdrop fabric metre lengths!
* you could have a strap on each of these to carry it over your shoulder!
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Wreckdiver (11th May 2011)
Old 11th May 2011

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

A couple of suggestions

1. Do you still have a collapsible cine / slide screen tucked away some where? if so it makes an excellent backdrop complete with its own stand

2. This is the one I actually use - a piece of white painted hardboard from the local hardware store. Easily suspended from a couple of curtain hooks and easily touched up with spray paint if it gets grubby. It's not collapsible but tucks away easily behind a chest of drawers etc.

Hope that helps

Roger
Old 11th May 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Why not use the 5 in 1 reflector and fire an additional remote flash at it as you shoot. This will overexpose the white background, yet will leave your subject correctly exposed.

The Following User Says Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
Wreckdiver (11th May 2011)
Old 11th May 2011

Liked 130 Times in 72 Posts

All good ideas guys. I was looking for something that collapses down to a small size and doesn't require extensive setting up. I take portrait mug shots for our dive club membership cards and am spending too much time editing and removing shadows. There is little space at the poolside to take photos and so the subjects are very close to the wall.

I do like your idea John. Although an extra flash is more kit to set up it does overcome the shadows problem. Will give this a try tonight as I have a few new members.

Cheers,

Steve