Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 28th January 2011

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Robin, not shy

In front of the window I've mounted a board, on a pole supporting the roof over our terrace, for feeding birds. It is in direct line when I look over my computer screen, this is also due south - unfortunately, giving me constant problems with backlit targets, when shooting through the window.
To make it even worse, the roof and the building close east, don't allow for any good light under normal circumstances. Sometimes though, I step outside and just shoot from the other side, but the subject of interest has to be willing of course.
Not until I upgraded my E-520 with an E-30, was I able to get any results like the ones below, under the usual dimm lighting. These photos were done at around 500mm (equiv.) focal lenght, ISO800 and only 1/50s (handheld, bare-sleeved at 0C).

The Robin (Erithacus rubecula) was not shy at all, but we are long time friends then

He/she moved a bit here and blurred the wing feathers and the back line - can't get everthing I suppose?!

Pics are cropped about 30%, E-30 + ZD70-300

What do you think?
Old 28th January 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,757 Times in 793 Posts
Re: Robin, not shy

Nice close-ups of your friendly robin

In our garden we have a pair of robins - presumably one male and one female (my understanding is that they are very territorial) which follow each other around closely.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 28th January 2011

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,234 Times in 804 Posts

Super shots Number one has a nice eye contact.

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 28th January 2011

Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,494 Posts
Liked 4,379 Times in 1,979 Posts

So Falk, you've done your upgrade to an E-30 and these are just superb.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 28th January 2011
Makonde

Very nice and bright
Old 28th January 2011

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

Great shots, especially the first.

Thanks for sharing.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 28th January 2011
Kiwi Paul

Excellent shots, sharp and crisp.

Paul
Old 29th January 2011

Thanks all, for the kind comments

Your have quallified for yet an other one of my Robin friend, which I've made today

This time in our old apple tree, looking down at me. The background is no sky, it's the roof with solar panels on it.

Mark, yes, I did receive the E-30 few days ago and am 600 frames into my testing now. I am very pleased with IQ so far and it seems the IS is working better then on the/my E-520 too. The AF is certainly a big improvement. I use the magnifyer lens for the VF too and - finally - am able to use manual focus with good effect! BUT, some of the buttons and switches - especially below the screen - are a real pain!
I always keep the mount from my Manfrotto ballhead (ontop my 695CX monopod) on the camera body and this thing protrudes a bit beyond the trailing edge, so I have to fumble (if this is a word?) my fingertips into the gap to press the Menu button etc.
An other drawback for me is the terrible loud shutter sound! I often hide for - or stalk close to game, birds, something with sound reception in general. But if I fire the E-30 in burst mode, everything will be gone in no time ...

Falk

Last edited by Falk; 29th January 2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: improved orthography and language
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
Thanks all, for the kind comments

Your have quallified for yet an other one of my Robin friend, which I've made today

This time in our old apple tree, looking down at me. The background is no sky, it's the roof with solar panels on it.

Mark, yes, I did receive the E-30 few days ago and am 600 frames into my testing now. I am very pleased with IQ so far and it seems the IS is working better then on the/my E-520 too. The AF is certainly a big improvement. I use the magnifyer lens for the VF too and - finally - am able to use manual focus with good effect! BUT, some of the buttons and switches - especially below the screen - are a real pain!
I always keep the mount from my Manfrotto ballhead (ontop my 695CX monopod) on the camera body and this thing protrudes a bit beyond the trailing edge, so I have to fumble (if this is a word?) my fingertips into the gap to press the Menu button etc.
An other drawback for me is the terrible loud shutter sound! I often hide for - or stalk close to game, birds, something with sound reception in general. But if I fire the E-30 in burst mode, everything will be gone in no time ...

Falk
A really great set of your friend,

I have always had focus and IQ trouble with the 70-300 on both the E3 and sometimes the E5. Your shots are absolutely great esp #2.

Ian is quite right about Robins being territorial but in the winter months, I have several at my bird feeding table and they seem to get on well. Contrast this in the early spring though when I have seen two fighting very violently. So much so that I thought one would kill the other. I suppose that instinct kicks in when nesting sites are beind established.

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A lovely set of pictures of your Robin.

Ours seem to have paired up for the coming season, although they rarely come close enough to the house for me to manage to get a picture of them both together.
Old 30th January 2011

Thank you Ellie!
Well, I already got the impression from other threats, that you are weeks ahead into spring, there - over the channel!? Flowers, Starlings etc. We are again down to temps in the -10C to -5C range over here. Thus, no signs of mating behavior yet ...
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
Well, I already got the impression from other threats, that you are weeks ahead into spring, there - over the channel!? Flowers, Starlings etc. We are again down to temps in the -10C to -5C range over here. Thus, no signs of mating behavior yet ...
No, not a lot of 'Spring' about here although some early crocus are braving the elements and there are a few daffodil shoots too.

We have noticed that the local Robins seem to pair up in January though, and then seem to work as a team trying to keep all the other birds off the bird feeders!
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts

What a lovely pair of pictures
Old 30th January 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lovely cute little fellas, theres a few on my local patch that me and the wife handfeed when we go, its a real nice treat to have a bond with an animal which trusts you. Enjoy your freindship!
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr