Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 11th March 2008
scanny

E1 Shutter locks up during shooting

Hi all

I found this problem on a damaged E1 body i had at christmas time. i was shooting in drive mode and the shutter remained locked up. I had to turn the camera off and on to allow the shutter to fall again. I thought nothing of it and that it was part of the damage sustained to the body.

Today i was shooting on my new E1, it is in excellent condition and the same thing happened. I was looking through the viewfinder and the shutter remained locked up. I noticed the viewfinder display dimmed as if suffering a power dip. I put the camera off then on and the shutter fell and i shot another hundred shots before going home. I was using the battery grip on it with an Oly battery. In the old body it was an oly blm1 in it at the time.

I thought it may have been a failure in the battery however the temperature was not low.

Thanks in advance
Old 11th March 2008
PeterD

Re: E1 Shutter locks up during shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanny View Post
Hi all

I found this problem on a damaged E1 body i had at christmas time. i was shooting in drive mode and the shutter remained locked up. I had to turn the camera off and on to allow the shutter to fall again. I thought nothing of it and that it was part of the damage sustained to the body.

Today i was shooting on my new E1, it is in excellent condition and the same thing happened. I was looking through the viewfinder and the shutter remained locked up. I noticed the viewfinder display dimmed as if suffering a power dip. I put the camera off then on and the shutter fell and i shot another hundred shots before going home. I was using the battery grip on it with an Oly battery. In the old body it was an oly blm1 in it at the time.

I thought it may have been a failure in the battery however the temperature was not low.

Thanks in advance:

Thats exactly the problem I had with my E3 and was the reason for the exchange. I received a report from Oly which confirmed a fault with the shutter mechanism. Didn't expect to get the report but it was interesting that they confirmed my complaint. By the way, it only happened once with me and I contacted Oly immediately I got back from the shoot. Drove to Watford the same afternoon and received my replacement.

PeterD
Old 12th March 2008

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I remember when the E-1 first came out there was several reports of what appeared to be temporary battery failiure! mine included. Not heard about this in recent years, the odd thing was it generally only happened once and was normally on the 3rd or 4th battery charge! In fact it was so long ago I had almost forgotten (have used new batteries since and my 2nd E-1 have never had a problem)

Probable not the problem but thought I might share.

Dave
Old 12th March 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

Is the firmware up to date? I had a problem like this once with a particular memory card. Is the battery in good condition?

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 12th March 2008
scanny

The battery in the grip is on its 3rd charge ive only started using it with the 50-200 on, and the temperature was 6 degrees so it wasnt overly cold. The new body is approx 2500 shutter actuations, around the same amount as the old one had on it when it happened. Both boddies are on firmware 1.5. Once the display flickered for maybe a quarer of a second, the shutter speed would be up at 2 seconds mettereing for a dark exposure.
Old 5th March 2009
scanny

My E1 is doing everything it can to be retired or scrapped and it does get a little infuriating. I was off uni today so put the sigma 135-400 on and headed down to the harbour to get some pictures. Every 5 to 6 shots the mirror would lock up and i would have to remove the battery and put it back in to get the power back on and the mirror to drop back down. It then decided it would loose apperture information haphazardly, this was the final straw so i swapped onto an E500 i had lying abou tthe boot and the 11-22 from that went onto the E1. The sigma worked fine on the e500, no issues there and the 11-22 worked fine on the E1, it has me stumped.

The battery was the first thing i checked, its an olympus one, the one that came in the grip i recieved from the forum giveaway so i doubt there would be any issues with that, along with its impecable behavior with the 11-22 on.
Old 5th March 2009

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Scanny

The loss of aperture info and the fact things improved after changing lens kind of points to a possible issue with the lens to body communications, as it appears that this has happened with more than one lens of yours it maybe a sticky pin on the E-1 body. Prorobably worth pushing them each in a few times and make sure they return cleanly, also worth just checking there clean. the aperture thing often happens if the lens isn't mounted properly such as can happen if you press the release button when making the lens up.

Dave
Old 9th March 2009
scanny

Thanks dave

Ive allways been curious about the play both my old 50-500 and the 135-400 have on the E1, there is a millimeter at most play allowing rotation when they have been on it, it seems like this may be the problem. The ZD lenses fit snuggly so ill put it down to generous tolerancing from sigma. A managable problem thankfully