Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 8th December 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Who might be up for a "2011 - photo a day" challenge...?

Morning all

I see Ian has started a superb challenge for himself, which is that of posting a new photo every day. The images he is posting are fabulous.

With this in mind, I got thinking that I should canvas opinion on here to establish if any members would be interesting in attempting a '2011 - photo a day" challenge...?

I am sure such an undertaking is a huge task, and might not be possible thus we could define a clear set of guidelines that set the framework for the challenge.

How about I start this off by saying I would be interesting in doing a photo a day throughout 2011, by posting a new, unpblished photo every day - but of photos I might have not specifically taken that day. So, I would say that guideline 1 should be the photos are relatively new, and must be taken from say November/December 2010. The reason I suggest this is that there might be photos we have taken or will take over the festive period that could be used in the first few days. Things will level out, and most people will then start publishing photos taken that day. So, the aim I guess is to have a photo published that would have been taken that day, but I appreciate that due to life - this is not always possible.

What are your thoughts on this... how do you feel we could do something that could (1) inspire us to take more photos, and (2) inspire others to take more photos by looking at what we post during our daily photo challenge...?

Opinions on a postcard please...

Old 8th December 2010

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts
Re: Who might be up for a "2011 - photo a day" challenge...?

Hmm. Quite an interesting prospect. I would suggest that the most successful "365" thread might involve creating a good picture every day, together with something interesting and engaging to write about it. (Starts to sound a bit like a photoblog..)

I discovered that finding a good picture each day is a challenge, particularly if you are at work. My "Village" threads did not quite make it to "365" status with a picture per day, so a bit of latitude on the photo date would be a great help.

I've managed a blog a day for over a month so far, but only by raiding my back catalogue of slide images

On a prctical level, how would this work? A single thread that everyone can "reply" to with their contribution for today??

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 8th December 2010

Hi Pete

Not sure on the how this would work question. I guess we could instate the blog feature on here, or perhaps create a new section/area for anyone doing the 365 - with a single thread per participant, who makes a new post for each image.

On the image a day issue: we could have a guideline that suggests we post an image 'for' each day but that they don't necessarily have to be posted on the day. So, you could be out for a weekend and manage to capture 8 or 9 shots that could be used. That might be your quota for the week sorted there.

The aim of my suggestion is to get people actually using their gear and creating new images - either inside or outside.

I am beginning to think I am up for it.

Old 8th December 2010

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
The aim of my suggestion is to get people actually using their gear and creating new images - either inside or outside.

Yes, I think it would get more pictures taken. Having a plan or a challenge certainly concentrates my mind.

Could it be done as a tweaked Gallery thing somehow, instead of a set of threads?? Don't know how forum software works.. but (say) a set of yesterday/today thumbnails to pique the interest of the passing browser???

{Thinking out loud mode off}

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 8th December 2010
Sharon

I'm not sure that I have enough time to do a 365. Though I was considering doing one a week next year.
Old 8th December 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

It might help in getting some folks pictures commented on. Speaking for myself, I find I rarely get more than 2 comments for each photo I post - often nil, and I know I'm not alone (but try to address that myself by commenting, so I'm as guilty!)

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 8th December 2010
Xpres

This year's challenge for me was "no alcohol", which I've nearly completed, so I'd be up for a nice easy one like a picture a day.
If one's going to do it, though, I think it should be snaps taken on the day they're posted. The tricky bit for me is that I use more than one camera - one day might be film, another the 5D, another the EP1. So the challenge would be to take the EP1 everywhere. Or would 'dupes' of slides be OK?
Old 8th December 2010
Loving my E1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think its a great idea John, I started one on TP last January. However life got in the way and i was out for 7 weeks through ill health. So being able to take a few photos, at say the weekend and then use them for the coming week really appeals.

I found that some times it was'nt always practical to take my DSLR with me. I found that i took a fair few with my compact. Would this be a consideration for this challenge?
Old 8th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippledsandwich View Post
I think its a great idea John, I started one on TP last January. However life got in the way and i was out for 7 weeks through ill health. So being able to take a few photos, at say the weekend and then use them for the coming week really appeals.

I found that some times it was'nt always practical to take my DSLR with me. I found that i took a fair few with my compact. Would this be a consideration for this challenge?
Absolutely Chris. If there is a way to take regular photos, that you can use in your one-a-day, then that's great.

Looks as though we're possibly getting somewhere with this. Keep the questions coming folks.

Old 8th December 2010

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

Sounds a great idea...
How about a thread per day...
You can always publish retrospectively in the particular days thread - cos if you are like me you may take the image but not always have time to post...
Old 8th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimbo View Post
Sounds a great idea...
How about a thread per day...
You can always publish retrospectively in the particular days thread - cos if you are like me you may take the image but not always have time to post...
Yep Chris, this is exactly what I was thinking.

Old 8th December 2010

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

I could quite possibly be up for that. I like a challenge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seonnaidh For This Useful Post:
theMusicMan (8th December 2010)
Old 8th December 2010

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

How about trying one photo per week for a start and see how that goes?
Old 8th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is a community 365 that we are doing in Faversham, Kent (also this year there will be similar projects running in Canterbury and Sheppey) albeit to select a photograph for every day taken on that day does necessitate that it is retrospective:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11886

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP
Old 8th December 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the idea of doing a photo a day, particularly as it should help me 'open my eyes' more when I'm out and about. I doubt I will last long and will probably fall away fairly early on, but I will definately have a crack at it.

Kelvin