Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 8th March 2008
PeterD

Tips for first time users ( and others still struggling)

Hi all

When we first started getting delivery of our cameras, you may recall a tips section being created.

I think its a good time now since we have gained experience in setting up our cameras for use, that we can share these on a single thread. This should help newbies and some of us oldies to get the best from the camera.

If we state the conditions used (e.g. Portrait, Lanscape, Birds etc) and give the optimum settings we use for these.

I have found very useful info across the forums but not anything in one place.

What do you think?

PeterD
Old 8th March 2008
Jim

Re: Tips for first time users ( and others still struggling)

A sound idea Peter.
Old 8th March 2008

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts

But could the tips be placed in the Wiki in the Knowledge section of the other forum - Four Thirds User web site.

or
we need a "keepers' set of threads that do not sink down into the date based archival sludge of the forum.
Old 8th March 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
But could the tips be placed in the Wiki in the Knowledge section of the other forum - Four Thirds User web site.

or
we need a "keepers' set of threads that do not sink down into the date based archival sludge of the forum.
Derek,

That first point sounds like a better idea. What do others think and any ideas as to the format of such a database? Perhaps it needs to describe the general setups and then a section on how these can change for the specific types of photography.

PeterD
Old 8th March 2008

and to save too much wheel recreation the Wrotniak setting suggestions would be the starter for 10.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-sett.html
Old 8th March 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
and to save too much wheel recreation the Wrotniak setting suggestions would be the starter for 10.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e3-sett.html
100% agree. That article led me out of the wilderness. I shall have a look at the database you suggested and come back to you. I am afraid WIKI leaves me cold but theres only one way to learn.......

PeterD
Old 8th March 2008
emirpprime

There are already some Tips and links to Wrotniak on the Wiki. Perhaps the format needs changing though. See if the navigation makes sense to you http://www.fourthirds-user.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

But input form many users and a database/table of settings certainly sounds good

Just let me know if you want help setting it up (I could perhaps generate the table so it is easier for people to fill in the data). There is a table on the Cameras page that can be looked at for examples, and the User Guide linked in the Contribute page is very helpful and fairly clear.

Good call Peter.

All the best,
Phil
Old 9th March 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
There are already some Tips and links to Wrotniak on the Wiki. Perhaps the format needs changing though. See if the navigation makes sense to you http://www.fourthirds-user.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

But input form many users and a database/table of settings certainly sounds good

Just let me know if you want help setting it up (I could perhaps generate the table so it is easier for people to fill in the data). There is a table on the Cameras page that can be looked at for examples, and the User Guide linked in the Contribute page is very helpful and fairly clear.

Good call Peter.

All the best,
Phil
Phil

I have looked at the wiki and all looks sensible. The article is a very good starting point to get an idea on the best settings but I think we need to open this up and describe the settings that we use and why. The reason for this is that I failed to 'fine tune' my settings until today. I do not think I am alone in this and I received some very useful information today which I shall prove in a shoot tomorrow.

I am a novice so would appreciate any help that you can give. I would like to get the framework off the ground as soon as posible and it would be useful for other forum users to respond and have their say on how any table should be laid out.

My thoughts are that we use the Wrotniak article as a base. Branch out in the types of photography we cover. Settings are described, together with how these are achieved. A comment field is allowed for the originator to state their objectives with these settings. Its OK for more than one solution for each type of photography as we have to ensure personal preferences are allowed. These will be grouped under the relevant photography type. Each entry will have the author identified and perhaps a link such that queries may be sent.

I think the above approach should allow the flexibility required whilst giving new users the opportunity to short cut the learning curve and, perhaps add to the Wiki as they gain experience.

PeterD

PS

Ian/John

Could you please look at how we might provide a permanent link from this site to the wiki.

Last edited by PeterD; 9th March 2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Added PS
Old 9th March 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Great idea... I'm happy to speak with Ian about setting up another category on here - just need to ensure Ian is happy with this because of the relationship with FTU i.e. it being a sister site. Ian may prefer to set something up on there, but I'll find out.

In the meantime, I'm happy to make any appropriate thread a stickie, just shout.

Old 9th March 2008
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Great idea... I'm happy to speak with Ian about setting up another category on here - just need to ensure Ian is happy with this because of the relationship with FTU i.e. it being a sister site. Ian may prefer to set something up on there, but I'll find out.

In the meantime, I'm happy to make any appropriate thread a stickie, just shout.
Thanks John.

I am sure Ian will see that it will benefit users from both sites and also perhaps form a common approach for all 4/3 cameras. They are all represented on the wiki in any case, in seperate categories.

PeterD
Old 9th March 2008
PeterD

Exclamation Re: Tips for first time users ( and others still struggling)

Hey everyone,

I make no apology for bringing this thread to the fore again. I am sure that there are many of you (myself very much included) who could benefit from this.

I have had a few replies of genuine support and I thank those but what about the rest of you. If we truly believe in supporting each other and also new members please have your say. I note that the thread has been read (103 views with 9 replies). I know that some of the viewers are visitors but lets show them that we are a great site.

I am not an expert in wiki by any stretch of the imagination but I have had the offer of support. Lets take it up and move forward. Without your comments on this we can not be sure we will produce what you need.

Jim, Derek (DerekW), Phil (emirpprime) and John (theMusicMan) thanks for your support.

PeterD
Old 9th March 2008
PeterD

John

I should have asked, could you make this a sticky thread for the time being? This will avoid me having to bring it forward each time it time expires.

Thanks

PeterD
Old 9th March 2008

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

The Olympus Digital School web site is a handy guide to Oly E-series and other Oly digital cameras. Plus it has tutorials on general photography concepts.

http://olympusdigitalschool.com/index.html

Alas, I wish they would hurry up and add some E-3 classess.
Old 9th March 2008
emirpprime

It will probably be tomorrow before I can do it, but shall we start hammering out the (at least initial) layout?

If we are presuming we start with Wrotniak settings. Do you think perhaps a simple table of Description/Purpose and Changes? Or something more complex with Description, AF, ISO, Metering... Other etc? What do you think are the key settings likely to be changed?

This promises to be a really useful page for E-system users

I will also add the Olympus Digital School links - Thanks Invicta.

All the best,
Phil
Old 9th March 2008

Phil

I think we should define the method of updating the Wiki

- is it to be a free for all with knowledgeable ones doing fine tuning of the data periodically
or
is a single address/thread to be used for all users to supply the tips/gobbets of knowledge for the Wiki gurus to add the data to the Wiki in an ordered manner

The first method gives a ragged Wiki and then it is periodically cleaned up.

The second method gives someone a regular a workload (the Wiki gurus) to update the Wiki.