Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Old 14th October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy lens information needed

do any of you very knowledgeable members know if there is a way to pre-set an olympus lens and remove it from the camera body so it will maintain the pre-set apterture? now that is a run-on sentence. i know it can be done on my c*n*n lenses. have tried it that way with my olympus lenses but with no positive results. any and all help appreciated.
thanks, larry
Old 14th October 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: lens information needed

I think... that if you set something in one of the MyMode slots, it might just do what you're after. There's also a lens reset on power off (which effectively, for the lens at least, is what happens if you take it off the body) that you should look at.

Not 100% sure this will do what you want, but it worth a shot.

Old 14th October 2010
Alan Clogwyn

I aaume you mean that say when you out a 70-300 on you want it to default to an aperturre say F8 for that lens, then when you put say a 12-60 on to default to another aperture?

On mine when I take my ZD lens off and attachsomethin gelse it doesn't clear the aperture, so when I put the ZD lens back on it's back at the aperture I was using wit hthe ZD len, but I only have one ZD lens so I don't know what would happen if I attached a ifferent ZD lens, probably stay wher eI set it?
Old 14th October 2010

Liked 190 Times in 126 Posts

OK I'm making a different assumption here.
Are you trying to use some of the cheapo manual extension tubes off ebay and want to use a 4/3 lens stopped down for more depth of field?

If so, then I think you will be struggling, looking at your public profile which shows you as having an E-5xx which I don't think has a DOF preview button.

With my E-1 and E-3, the following works.

Select A priority
Select preferred aperture
Press DOF button to stop the lens down
Press lens release button (whilst still holding down DOF button)
Release DOF button (whilst still holding down lens release button)
Turn off camera (whilst still holding down lens release button)
Remove lens

It will say stopped down until it receives power again.

You could just press DOF and remove the lens, but it's probably not good practice.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 15th October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

john and alan thank you very much for your replies. will chase them down in the manual for future use.

peak4
your assumption is partially correct, not cheapo extenders(maybe later), but a rube goldfarb shift adapter. your process with the dof preview button is the same as on all of my c*n*n's. it must be age but thought when i researched the 520 it had dof preview. went back to reviews i had read and sure enough, it does, but only in live view. and, lucky for me it works just as well. have to go into the menu and preset the function button to live view and when you use your step by step it works exactly the same.

thanks to all for leading me down the right path,

larry
Old 15th October 2010

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
If so, then I think you will be struggling, looking at your public profile which shows you as having an E-5xx which I don't think has a DOF preview button.
Select A priority
Select preferred aperture
Press DOF button to stop the lens down
Press lens release button (whilst still holding down DOF button)
Release DOF button (whilst still holding down lens release button)
Turn off camera (whilst still holding down lens release button)
Remove lens

It will stay stopped down until it receives power again.
Well I never. I just tried this on my E510 (which does have a dof preview button if you want it to) and it works!

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 15th October 2010

Liked 190 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Well I never. I just tried this on my E510 (which does have a dof preview button if you want it to) and it works!

Pete
Ah, does that mean you can assign a function button to DOF?
If so that would probably help Larry, as I think that's what he has.

Larry, I'm intrigued by the "rube goldfarb shift adapter" I'd been toying with the idea of converting a Tamron Adaptall 17mm, but never found one cheap enough.
See Jens' post Here

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 15th October 2010

Liked 1,338 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
Ah, does that mean you can assign the E510 function button to DOF?
Yes, indeed you can :-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 15th October 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Larry, I'm intrigued by the "rube goldfarb shift adapter" I'd been toying with the idea of converting a Tamron Adaptall 17mm, but never found one cheap enough.

Jens' post

to the first part: yes you can assign about 7 or 8 different functions to the function button (one at a time of course). as i said above, one of these is the dof preview function and useable only in live mode and have just done the same with my e-pl1 and the red movie button. that red button and my thumb are a menace to picture taking. so now i know i can lock my
9-18 in the aperture i want/need.

to the second part: i have the tamron 17mm. also, i have a 17mm vivitar and a zenitar 16mm i can use, that have different mounts, so will have different measurements in back focus. and now i have a maximum 9mm wide angle to try. the rube goldfarb comes in because i am really not too bright when it comes to backfocus measurements and coverage of the sensor.
luckily for me the lenses, except the 9-18, are for full frame film cameras.

to jens post: couldn't get any of the pictures to come up, but my fervent prayer is to make as little as possible. all of my parts have been ordered and i am awaiting arrival. hope it all goes together.
larry
Old 15th October 2010
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie57 View Post

Jens' post

to the first part: yes you can assign about 7 or 8 different functions to the function button (one at a time of course). as i said above, one of these is the dof preview function and useable only in live mode and have just done the same with my e-pl1 and the red movie button. that red button and my thumb are a menace to picture taking. so now i know i can lock my
9-18 in the aperture i want/need.

to the second part: i have the tamron 17mm. also, i have a 17mm vivitar and a zenitar 16mm i can use, that have different mounts, so will have different measurements in back focus. and now i have a maximum 9mm wide angle to try. the rube goldfarb comes in because i am really not too bright when it comes to backfocus measurements and coverage of the sensor.
luckily for me the lenses, except the 9-18, are for full frame film cameras.

to jens post: couldn't get any of the pictures to come up, but my fervent prayer is to make as little as possible. all of my parts have been ordered and i am awaiting arrival. hope it all goes together.
larry
Your project is rather intriguing, Larry, do let us know how you get on.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau